What's new

Derek Jeter

As most of you know, I'm a Red Sox fan. A big one. But I will miss this man. He was class all the time, every game, every inning, every play. He was a team player with amazing defense and a hit machine who always came through in the clutch. He was good for the game. It wouldn't have mattered who he played for, I don't know of a better representative for baseball, especially in our modern era of corruption than Derek Jeter.

You'll be missed Derek, my hat goes off to you.

Top 10 Derek Jeter plays, Number 2 may be my all time favorite play.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you, Tim. Never a scandal, allegation of steroids, or any unlawful substance. And what a final farewell!

Weil said Tim...saw a fitting NY tribute on FB that anyone would enjoy where he was walking through the streets, talking to fans, getting coffee etc...totally classy

Weil said Tim...saw a fitting NY tribute on FB that anyone would enjoy where he was walking through the streets, talking to fans, getting coffee etc...totally classy

When i saw that, my eyes all of a sudden got allergies for some reason.

I was wondering why that video had not been posted.

I'm an Oakland and Boston fan. A Yankee hater through and through. Still drove 12hrs each way to see Jeter's last two games at Fenway this past weekend. One of the greats, and a great send-off.

Last edited:
Not being from New York, I'm in the same boat as most. I don't like the Yankees for the simple fact that everyone else seems to. Same Reason I don't like the Patriots (I would have thrown the Cowboys in there too, but I'm an Eagles fan so I have so many other reasons to dislike them). Due to that, I really try hard to not like anyone that plays for them as well (at least while they play for them).

Number 4 in that video is what made me change my opinion of Jeter. That was A-Rod's ball to go get, and he had no intention of putting himself at risk of injury to do it. Yet Jeter hustles over twice the distance that A-Rod would have needed and makes the play without even thinking about it. That's the way the game should be played. Best effort, all out, all the time. That's the way he always played, and I have a lot of respect for him for that reason alone.

Of the same ilk: Cal Ripken. Class acts all of them! [emoji2]

just for you Mr Lara

Thank you.
proxy.php

I tend to agree with most of the critics who quickly point out that Jeter never won an MVP, was never that good of a defensive shortstop, rarely (maybe even never, but I am too lazy to look it up) led the league in any offensive category, and had a terrible WAR, but none of that matters. He was a natural leader in arguably the most difficult city to play sports in. He was constantly berated and pestered by the media, but handled it with class. He was as clutch as they come and performed the best when his team needed him. That is why the Yankees never became and never will be AROD's team, even though AROD was the better shortstop before he switched to third base.

Jeter is a first ballot Hall of Famer for sure. I am also positive that he will break Tom Seaver's record for the most Hall of Fame votes received. Some knucklehead will vote "no", but that is fine. Their loss.

They played this on the video screen at Fenway on Sunday. Maybe it was the beer, but I had a good chuckle...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeter is a first ballot Hall of Famer for sure. I am also positive that he will break Tom Seaver's record for the most Hall of Fame votes received. Some knucklehead will vote "no", but that is fine. Their loss.

The whole Baseball Hall of Fame voting percentages drive me nuts. Just because Joe DiMaggio wasn't a first ballot HOFer in 1954 some writer now has to carry the torch of...I don't really know. After all Rickey Henderson, Cal Ripken, and Greg Maddux all didn't get 100%, just to name a few recent inductions, and they are unanimously HOF-worthy both in traditional and advanced concepts of baseball. And on the other side, this obsession with garnering the highest percentage is equally annoying. I wish the HOF would just not list the percentages. Jeter is a 1st ballot HOFer; you can make a case he's one the greatest shortstops of all time (personally Ripkin since Wagner and Vaughn played in pre-integration days), and that he's one of the 5 best Yankees of all time (personally Babe, Mantle, Gehrig, and DiMaggio would be higher).

As a Red Sox fan, he was definitely one of the "I wish he played for us" Yankees, especially when we seemed to be rotating SS every year, especially in post-Nomar years when we seemed to cycle through Renteria, Gonzalez, Lugo, Nick Green, etc. Of course also as a Red Sox fan, 2004, 2007, and 2013 makes sending out Mariano and Jeter a little easier.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
When you can use the phrase "in the history of the game....." to describe a player, it's very impressive.

In the history of the game, only five players recorded more hits. (And one of those is so famous, he has a B&B thread named after him,)

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
he's one of the 5 best Yankees of all time (personally Babe, Mantle, Gehrig, and DiMaggio would be higher).

I used to have some very odd conversations with my dad when I was a kid. I was completely befuddled by his (apparent lack of) logic, but I've come to agree with him over the years. It would go more or less like this-

Me: Dad, who was the greatest ballplayer?
Dad: Babe Ruth.
Me: So Babe Ruth was the greatest Yankee.
Dad: No, that would be Lou Gehrig.
Me: But you just said Ruth was the best player.
Dad: No, DiMaggio was the best player.
(I would run out screaming.)

I recall when DiMaggio died a few sports writers asked the question, "Now that DiMaggio is dead, who is the greatest living player?"
I would answer, "The same guy who was the greatest living player while DiMaggio was still alive!"
$Willie_Mays_cropped.jpg

Top Bottom