What's new

Derby USTA: remarketed Extra/Premium?

IMG_20210405_141609.jpgIMG_20210405_141639.jpgIMG_20210405_141820.jpgIMG_20210405_141912.jpg

It's been years since I shaved with an Extra, and I've never shaved with a Premium, but there seem to be two common denominators with the Extra: pink lather and post-shave scabs :D

OK, it is not that horrible a blade for me, but it does give me plenty of weepers and some irritation, without giving me a super close shave.

I am probably also too blame, because the first two passes are decent, but I chase the BBS in the third pass and I don't seem to be able to get it effortlessly with this blade.

Anyway, I will experiment with it in different razors, I've been using it in a Yintal Bronze so far (2 shaves).

The packaging is really nice, there is a single line of wax in the back that holds the blade in place.

There are lots of fans, but I didn’t think it was any better than a derby premium. I think it was just new, rare, mysterious, and cheap.

I'm not sure anyone knows for sure, but I think Usta is a Turkish word for "Master" and it would not make sense to make a product with all that Turkish labeling unless it was intended for sale to people that speak Turkish. It looks like a grey market item, where the sellers are happy to let people think these blades are something exotic.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I am no fan of the Derby Extra, but find both the Usta and the Premium to be much better than the Extra. The Usta is sharp, but the longevity isn't great. The Premium is both sharp and long lasting. I use Premiums in my Karve Brass OC...good match for that razor.

I like the USTA more than I like Extras. I haven't used enough Premiums to decide if I think they and USTAs are the same though I like both.

I have seen in some online videos and descriptions that these used to be completely unmarked, like Kai blades, but now they have this cool straight razor logo on them.

Also, some people claim that these are Premiums for the Turkish market and/or that they are essentially the same base blade as in Derby Extras but double honed.

I went back to a Shark SS yesterday, and it felt like shaving with a light-saber compared to USTA :D

Perhaps a dud or simply YMMV in effect here.

Top Bottom