What's new

Derby Shaving Soap

Hey guys, I noticed Derby shaving soap doesn’t seem to get much love on here. I have a heap of soaps & creams but find myself reaching for the Derby more & more often lately. It’s dirt cheap with a basic scent & crap looking packaging but man this stuff performs well. As far as value for money it’s hard to beat. Does it not perform as well for others? Who else is a Derby lover..

Count me in as a Derby Shave Soap guy.! Its about on par with Arko but, has a better fresh soap smell than Arko & less residue left on the Razor & sink than Arko.

I have been using Arko for years . Derby is next on my list to try .. it looks very good and has gotten many great reviews.

Isn't this the same as arko?

No, it is not - at least here in Euroland. The smell is somewhat similar but Derby is almost white instead of the yellow color of Arko. Ingredients are different as well, Arko sets my face on fire due to allergies and Derby works just fine without any adverse reaction.

Ingredients:

Arko:
Potassium Tallowate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Aqua, Glycerin, Potassium Cocoate, Parfum, Paraffinum Liquidum, Tetrasodium EDTA, CI 77891, Etidronic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Disodium Distyrylbiphenyl Disulfonate, Linalool, Limonene, Citronellol, Geraniol

Derby:
POTASSIUM TALLOWATE, POTASSIUM COCOATE, STERIC ACID, SODYUM PALM KERNELATE, AQUA, DISDIUM DISTRYLBIPHENLY DISULFANATE, CI 77891, PARAFFINUM LIQUIDUM, PARFUM, GERANIAL, BENZYL ALCOHOL, LINALOOL, GLYCERINE

I have to agree that this is a quite good soap at a very modest price (if you can stand the scent...)

br,
tom

Last edited:
I have a derby stick in my traveling kit along with a dirt cheap Lord L6. I always seems to get great shaves when traveling, but I for some reason never reach for it when at home. Guess it looses out to the more fancy/fun artisans, but it for sure is decent soap. The price is just hilarious. The lay two years I must have about 50-70 days traveling, and it is still a fair amount left on the stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derby and Arko both have a fairly industrial scent, but both work very well for me. A stick should last me at least six months, I've never managed to finish the first one yet.

I'm waiting for my first purchase of Derby soap to arrive. It's the stick version and it will be my first stick as well. I actually really like the scent of the Arko soap puck I have. To me it's a nice clean smell. I love it in my bathroom. I get a great lather from it as well so I figured I'd try Derby since I've heard they are similar. Looking forward to trying my first Derby and my first stick.

@Jonas Got my first stick of Derby soap a few days ago. Wow, I really like the scent. I don't find it similar to Arko like some have mentioned. There's something else in the Derby mix that gives it a distinctively different smell than Arko and I love it. This is the first time using a soap stick and I also love that. It gets right to the point. Get in on your face then lather. Bam. Seems like I'm skipping a step and getting to the shave one step quicker. But man I love that scent. I can see how some may not like it at all. But hey, I like the way Williams Mug smells too although that is very diff.

As for performance of the Derby soap - I don't find it as slick as Arko but I'm still experimenting with the soap to water ratio so it may be something I have yet to dial in. Overall, I want more of this stuff around just to make my bathroom smell good!

@BigD Wow nice detailed review. I’m still getting to know this Derby stick but I think you said it right regarding slickness when you wrote “...this has more of a slickness with a dryer lather than Arko does. “ Looking forward to more shaves with it!

I used the Derby puck earlier with a Blackland Sabre on the L2 and L1 settings. Great shave. No weepers, no nicks, no burn. Going to use the stick here shortly. I've been rubbing the stick into the ridges of a Fine Lather bowl, then bowl lathering. I'm getting some real great shaves that way.

Top Bottom