What's new

Derby Razor Blade....I wanted to love you....

...but for right now I just like you. Ok, so I am a relative newbie to wetshaving (almost 2 months now). Picked up a Merkur HD and a pack of Merkur Platinum Blades. I have to say that I loved the quality of the shaves I was getting with that set-up. However, more than a few people around here recommended the LetterK sampler pack to the new guys. So I placed my first order around a week and a half ago and received them promptly at my parents house (where I was travelling for Thanksgiving).

After having used only the Merkur blades, I decided to give the Swedish Gillettes a turn last week for my Thanksgiving shaves. I gotta say that I love how they work, but I digress.

Today I decided to give the Derbys a go. Got up nice and early, and warmed up my shaving mug and brush while I took a nice hot shower. Loaded in the Derby and then lathered up with some Taylor's Rose.

I was all ready and very excited since a lot of people around here seem to be big Derby fans. However, I must say that it didn't work out so well for me this morning. With the Merkurs and especially the Gillettes I got some very nice and consistent BBS shaves with two passes (N-S, E-W) with no irritation, razor burns or cuts. It wasn't to be with the Derby today. :frown:

I found the shave to be somewhat inconsistent, meaning that I was not getting an even cut. I also got my first cut today, although I am fairly certain my technique was the same. It took me more than 2 passes to get a good, clean shave. On a high note, when I was finished I found that I probably had one of the best BBS shaves that I had, however, it took a little longer and more work to get there. And my face is a little more irritated because I had to make so many passes.

I am not going to give up on them though. I think I am gonna chalk it up to my first blade being a bad one and the fact that it was back to work after a nice long holiday weekend. I plan on giving the Israeli Personnas a try and then going back to the Derby to see if I can get it right.

M

modern man

I found the Derby's to be very similar in shave to the Murker.

I tried the IP's to day not good not good at all.

But thats my opinion YMMV.

Do not give up , im not a complete fan of Derby's either I like the Sharp above the Derby's 2 days ago I tried a Derby 2 passes had it with that blade and tossed it into the bin. remember even the best of the best brand have an off blade between some productions even though the computers are pretty accurate in making sure each blade is the same ! it happend now with me with the Derby 3 times about. 1 time only with a Feather that surprised me.

The IP's not worth my time. im surprised the Swedish didnt do it for you but every beard is Unique and whats gold to me is #$#%@ to you.

Mike, I felt the same about the Derby Extras, only after the second time. I DID give them another chance, and still found them not to my liking. I thought I would put them up there with the Gillettes, but they didn't do it for me. I still like the Swedish Gillettes the best!

I'm on my second round through the LetterK sampler. The Derby didn't do it for me the first time around, and this time doesn't seem any different. I get a close shave, but lots of nicks. I get better results from both the Gillettes and the Feathers.

The Derby's are a good razor, and they're my everyday choice possibly because they're so inexpensive. I wasn't thrilled with them at first, either. The low irritation factor is what won me over.

The Feather's are magical, but I think I need more practice before I make them a habit. Too easy to overshave yourself chasing the BBS dragon.

The Swedish Gillettes are very powerful, yet merciful. They were perfect, it seemed. However, the cost is so high that it's almost more economical to fly to Sweden and buy them myself.

I would give the Derbys a second chance. I wasn't impressed with the first one, but now I am stuck on them because they are so forgiving -- and you can get a good BBS if you use small strokes. I was using Feathers for a couple of months straight, but was getting quite a bit of irritation, especially with the heavy Fat Boy (they work great in my slim adjustable). So I ordered LetterK's sampler -- he was kind enough to replace the Feather pack with a Derby pack, since I already have about 50 Feathers hanging about. I Worked my way through a couple of Merkurs, but was not impressed (I had tried them before and not cared for them then, either). Tried the Israeli Personnas and found them to be only slightly better than the the Merkurs -- too much tugging. So far, it is a toss up between the Derbys and the swedish Gillettes, but I think the Derbys are edging ahead (I'm starting on the second pack, and I've only used two of the Gillettes). Try a few other blades, and then come back to the Derby for a second go-around.

I've found the Derby blades to be variable in quality, though I cannot say if the same problem affects other blades. (I've used about five boxes of Derbys, only one box of Merkurs, and am only on my second Feather BLADE.)

I suspect that if you have had a bad shave from one Derby blade you should try another BOX -- it may be a dodgy batch. Or maybe it was my prep technique that week.

They do a good job for the price though, being a third to a quarter of the price of Feather or Merkur blades.

I think the Derbies are great and have come to the following conclusion:

A Derby blade is to me as deep frying oil is to Anthony Bourdain. What I mean by that, is that they both start out good, however with subsequent use, they get better and better before they finally (around 4 shaves) start to break down and yield sub-par results.

In other words, think of the performance in terms of a textbook bell curve.

With this in mind, I would urge you to give them another chance or two and see if they smooth out.

YMMV.

Well....
since ya asked.

Ive been using the feathers for a cuppa months now and only recently have I tried the Derbs.
Heres the deal...

Feathers for me are best from shaves 2-5.
The 1st shave is brutal.
The Derbs are not as sharp but much smoother, earlier in the process.
4 shaves outta a Derb.
5-6 from a Feather.
====================================
Derby + FatBoy or SS = Great Shaves
Feather +....you guessed it....SLANT = Excellent

FWIT JM2cW OC YMMV:wink:

I'm thinking that the Slant was made for the Feather. I tried it with a Derby on Saturday and it resulted in an unusual razor burn. It took off a good amount of skin in a very uniform way all across my face. The Feather had a similar effect, but it took much less off.

Then again, I also used olive oil as a pre-shave, and that may have loosened the skin up making it ripe for the harvest.

Well....
since ya asked.

Ive been using the feathers for a cuppa months now and only recently have I tried the Derbs.
Heres the deal...

Feathers for me are best from shaves 2-5.
The 1st shave is brutal.
The Derbs are not as sharp but much smoother, earlier in the process.
4 shaves outta a Derb.
5-6 from a Feather.

FWIT JM2cW OC YMMV:wink:

Thats an interesting point which hasnt been talked about or researched more deeply. it seems certain blades do perform a whole lot better when used in a different razor but what makes them act so differently with a different razor?
could it be the razor itself ? different blade gap ? the whole design ? heavier razor yields in more natural pressure ?

I have heard this before when I was doing the Sharp tests it was very clear the Sharps did not perform aswell in all razors so the only way is by experimenting yourself. thats why its handy that most men on this board have more then 1 or 2 or even 3 razors.. a blade might be minus with one but great with the other 2. thats also a good excuse to get your RAD up. :eek:

Ah excuse me Mike I didnt read you correct the Swedish are not bad !

could it be the razor itself ? different blade gap ? the whole design ? heavier razor yields in more natural pressure ?

I think that all of these! Also all these factors in combination with different skin/whisker types give various results.

I tried the Derby's right out of the gait and didn't like them very much. I tried Feathers, Gillette's & the IP's. I thought I found nirvana in the IP's (& still love them) but ran out one day. I dropped a Derby in & found it to be as good as my favorite IP (although, the IP still gives a few more shaves per blade). Probably had more to do with my learning curve than the Derby's I had originally tried........

i got a 5 pack of derbys at the beginning of the year and i went through 4 of them i think, not a fan either..

Personally, the only really bad shaves I've gotten since I first picked up my Merkur LHC have been with a Derby. And every shave with a Derby has been sub-par. Or worse. The only time I have really really been dripping blood in months was with a Derby. No, not in a wide open Futur (I used a Feather), or a Slant (Feather again), or anything else. In my trusty old SuperSpeed that gives a good shave with anything.

I have given up on them. Maybe I will try one again eventually. But it will be a while.

Meantime, I REALLY wish the Swedes were more readily available. Well, cheaper, is what I really mean. They are SO bloody expensive, by comparison. But they are pretty much my ideal blade. The Feathers will do though, given the cost savings.

-Mo

Interestingly, out of my variety pack (gillette, merkur, feather, israeli, derby) the Derbys are by far the winner for "good shave, low irritation", and this with a slant bar. The feathers are good, but deteriorate far too quickly (leetle painful by Friday), while the Derbys tend to last just fine.

('course, I could just change blades more frequently, but if the Derbys work, why bother?)

Top Bottom