What's new

Derby Premium

Nice surprise with this new Derby blade , very smooth and sharp, a truly well crafted blade...I managed 6 excellent shaves , each shave utilizing a different razor and cream , and all shaves were fighting 48 hour growths....There was a few more shaves left , but I could just start to feel the edge slowing down with shave #6...A good bargain blade from Turkey.. The Modern Man

I just tossed a pack into my last online order. Hopefully they will arrive next week. For $1 I figured it was worth a shot considering how much of an improvement the Dorco Prime blades were over the regular Dorco blades. Still, it's Derby and I really dislike the originals. Something about them always leaves me with irritation.

I just tossed a pack into my last online order. Hopefully they will arrive next week. For $1 I figured it was worth a shot considering how much of an improvement the Dorco Prime blades were over the regular Dorco blades. Still, it's Derby and I really dislike the originals. Something about them always leaves me with irritation.
Same for me , the old Derby blades were mediocre at best.

After reading some positive reviews like yours and based on the assumption "now that with my new Derby technique i can even shave with the old Derbies, so how worse can the Premium be", i bought 100 (cool box). I haven't tried them yet though. Probably by October i will have opened a tuck...

Same for me , the old Derby blades were mediocre at best.
+1 I wholeheartedly agree with you concerning the sub-par Derby blades. But out of curiosity, I purchased 10 of the Derby Premium line and I must say, these are very, very good indeed. Sharp, smooth and very comfortable. I also like the packaging, very classy with the black motif and no wax. It has some 4-5 different coatings on it, whether that makes a difference or not I can't say. Maybe better steel and process, either way my first shave was an excellent one. I just might pick up a 100 pack of these for $10 greenbacks. I'll go through a couple more for consistency and durability, but first crack was good.....:thumbsup:
IMG_0775.JPG

In contrast , my first shave 2 days ago with a Derby Extra in a Maggard M5 was very close and smooth , today's shave with the same blade in a 1946 Aristocrat was rough , with a few tiny nicks.... I'll continue testing it.

In contrast , my first shave 2 days ago with a Derby Extra in a Maggard M5 was very close and smooth , today's shave with the same blade in a 1946 Aristocrat was rough , with a few tiny nicks.... I'll continue testing it.

Strange. For me nicks with Derby Extra are close to impossible. But, i still see a use for the duller blades. Did you have a weeper or a nick when you last tried a sharp blade? Do you want to give your skin time to heal? No worries! Use a duller blade! You won't have a close shave and thus your skin in the impacted area will have time to thicken and be ready for the next time that you will go for a close shave.

Malocchio, I haven't been here for quite a while. But it's good to return and see you sharing info that maintains the quest. Thanks, brother.

How do Derby Premium blades compare with, say, Astra SP or Nacet Stainless blades (this is a selfish request on my part--mea culpa)? Premium blades have me intrigued--time to place an order...

Malocchio, I haven't been here for quite a while. But it's good to return and see you sharing info that maintains the quest. Thanks, brother.

How do Derby Premium blades compare with, say, Astra SP or Nacet Stainless blades (this is a selfish request on my part--mea culpa)? Premium blades have me intrigued--time to place an order...
Off the top of my clean shaven head I would give the nod to Derby Premium, although I like Nacets and Astras as well.. Big surprise with this new Derby , they did a great job and should have done this years ago...Now perhaps we will see a Bluebird Premium in the future ??

I ordered a bunch a while ago. I struggle to rate all the blades in the middle of the spectrum. If they are too dull I notice they pull. If they are very sharp I notice. And if they are rough I notice. These seem to fall into the middle zone of just fine. Sure they are not my ultimate blade (Kai) but there is nothing wrong with them for the price. Definitely sharper than the old Derby's.

1st shave with Derby Premium with Weishi 9306FL.
- It's definitely sharper than Derby Extra. It's in the sharp blade territory or medium-high sharp at worst.
- The blade didn't glide so well in the first strokes, but improved rapidly. Still, not the best glide i 've seen, but the shave felt comfortable.
- I got 1 weeper and 1 close call (it felt like a nick, as usual in the moustache area, but i can't see it. A sharp blade like Croma would have nicked me clean.). More evidence that this is sharper than Derby Extra, since i don't get these with Derby Extra.
- 1 small irritation point (0,5x0,5 cm) at the base of the throat. Strange, i rarely get them.
- This is not Astra-sharp. I ended up with a mix of BBS and DFS, despite that i did plenty of buffing and below the jaw what would be considered a full 4th pass plus buffing.
- The blade's edge, has the classical "Derbesque" feeling, where the edge feels like it has a mix of melt glass and stone, but contrary to Derby Extra, i didn't get the "rounded edge" feeling too.

It's certainly an interesting blade, i am curious to see how subsequent shaves go. It is certainly sharper than the Extra, but it's below Astra and while the sharpness has improved, the smoothness has worsened compared to the Extra. I mean, Astra is sharper and smoother at the same time than this. But, it's not a bad blade. And there might have been also some underestimation on my part, for being a Derby. I have 100, i am not sure i would buy more, but if one finds it at a good price and wants to increase his variety, it's certainly a valid choice. If it gives BBS/DFS in a Weishi, then for more aggressive razors, BBS should be no problem.

2nd shave with Derby Premium (cold water shaving again).

- The blade seems to have hold its edge very well.
- I got 2 weepers. One under the chin. Never had one there before.
- The edge of the blade, felt like it has mellowed a tiny bit, but it feels like a bit of a rough glide. It reminds me of a new Astra on its first strokes.
- The blade is certainly sharp, but a bit weird. ATG, it feels as if it has some hesitation, but then it cuts suddenly. Very odd.
- Had a BBS/DFS (despite buffing, didn't wipe clean the more difficult spots).
- The small irritation from the last shave, has evolved into a standard razor burn bump. The only other blade that has done true razor burn to me ever, was...the Derby Extra. No new irritation today.

It's an interesting blade and maybe it's the fact that i do cold water shaving due to the heat wave, it's certainly sharp, but, much like its lower sibling, isn't the most agreable blade for my skin.

Anyway, it's not a bad blade, but i think the 100 i have are enough... I don't care so much about the weepers, but the irritation is what gets in my nerves, because i don't get that with other blades. I will have to adopt a more careful technique with this blade.

Last edited:
Strange I've been wondering about these also while I was browsing the online shops I came across them and they didn't have any reviews on them

Top Bottom