What's new

Derby premium vs extra. Which to try first?

Very interesting. So, the sharpness and smoothness rose dramatically, but the longevity and consistency dropped slightly. I guess I'll have to buy some of the newer (horizontal label) blades and compare them.

Thanks for the link, @P1C0!
By going through the thread a little, some people claim that even the vertical packaging may contain some of the newer blades, because the change in the blades probably occurred before the change in the packaging. I don't know, I have a vertical packaging that came along with a razor and they are horrible.

The factory that makes Derby also makes a blade called Lamix Platinum Plus Pro, the latter feels like Derby but without cutting me to pieces.

By going through the thread a little, some people claim that even the vertical packaging may contain some of the newer blades, because the change in the blades probably occurred before the change in the packaging. I don't know, I have a vertical packaging that came along with a razor and they are horrible.
Yes, that caught my attention. When I open the pack with the vertical label, I'll have to check the thickness of the blades. If it does come with a mix of new and old blades, then that would be handy for testing purposes.

On the other hand, a mix of blades might be why there are so many varying opinions of the Derby Extra's quality. If someone wasn't aware, then you could have a great shave with one blade (a new model), then have a terrible shave with another (an old model). The lack of consistency would certainly taint my view of these blades.

I just checked the one tuck I have left and it's the Vertical label. They are junk. I actually thought I binned over half of the 100 pack I bought but I found a few more.

I don’t know anything about the Extras changing but for those of you who were dissatisfied with your experience with the Extras, I strongly encourage you to order a tuck or two of Premiums next time you buy some gear from a West Coast or Italian Barber. You may be pleasantly surprised that you did. I know that I was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have yet to try a "Premium" Derby, but that's because all Derby's I've tried have tried to kill me by a thousand cuts, lol. Downright hate me, they do. Murderous.

I've tried all the ones I've gotten free with razor purchases over the years, multiple times, and found them to be worth less than what I paid for them.

They hate my handsome face!

So be honest. What did you do to make them so homicidal?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So be honest. What did you do to make them so homicidal?
Brother. Seriously. You've read my posts. I'm a saint, I tell ya!

Seriously, I hear lots of people loving Derby's. So it's gotta be me.

If one out of 3 folks ain't right in the head, and the dudes on your left and right look normal, you is it! Check yourself in Dave!

I honestly have no idea why they hate me. HEY! I just thought of something: I'll break out a brand new one, and use some new QUALITY stuff I was just PIF'd. Made with Schaltz Milk or some such.

Brother. Seriously. You've read my posts. I'm a saint, I tell ya!

Seriously, I hear lots of people loving Derby's. So it's gotta be me.

If one out of 3 folks ain't right in the head, and the dudes on your left and right look normal, you is it! Check yourself in Dave!

I honestly have no idea why they hate me. HEY! I just thought of something: I'll break out a brand new one, and use some new QUALITY stuff I was just PIF'd. Made with Schaltz Milk or some such.

I always wondered about that dude standing on my left. :001_tt2:
Now by contrast, Since I started DE shaving in June, 2016, I've used a total of 238 blades. 58 of them have been Derby Extras. They're my goto for travel or when trying out a new razor.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I always wondered about that dude standing on my left. :001_tt2:
Now by contrast, Since I started DE shaving in June, 2016, I've used a total of 238 blades. 58 of them have been Derby Extras. They're goto for travel or when trying out a new razor.
Tell ya what. I will post my impressions on the Derby in my weird thread about shaving like grampa used to.

I will TRY to use it more than once, lol.

On Amazon.it there is only one option to buy the Derby Extra (green label). It is the vertical package with 100 blades, the label of the 5 blades' package, which come inside the big package, is also vertical.

Why in 2020 don't we find the new version ?

On Amazon.it there is only one option to buy the Derby Extra (green label). It is the vertical package with 100 blades, the label of the 5 blades' package, which come inside the big package, is also vertical.

Why in 2020 don't we find the new version ?

Try Ebay and ignore Derby Extra. Derby Premium are excellent and Derby Usta are very good.
Have you tried Gillette Platinum?
Or why not have a bash with a cartridge razor for a change? Wilkinson Sword (sometimes branded as Schick) Hydro 5 is well worth a go.

Try Ebay and ignore Derby Extra. Derby Premium are excellent and Derby Usta are very good.
Have you tried Gillette Platinum?
Or why not have a bash with a cartridge razor for a change? Wilkinson Sword (sometimes branded as Schick) Hydro 5 is well worth a go.

I am leaving Italy and going to a country where Amazon and Ebay don't exist. Due to this fact, I need to buy all the shave items up to next week and use a fast delivery service.

Today was the last day to buy my items. I purchased Derby extra blu 200, Lord Platinum 100, Derby Premium 100, Astra Green 100, Rapira Super Swedish Steel 100, and Shark Super Chrome 100. Some Fatips grande and piccolo and a plenty of Proraso items.

I tried Gillette Platinum in my CB Jagger DE86 and it is very sharp for me.

Last edited:
I am leaving Italy and going to a country where Amazon and Ebay don't exist. Due to this fact, I need to buy all the shave items up to next week and use a fast delivery service.

Today was the last day to buy my items. I purchased Derby extra blu 200, Lord Platinum 100, Derby Premium 100, Astra Green 100, Rapira Super Swedish Steel 100, and Shark Super Chrome 100. Some Fatips grande and piccolo and a plenty of Proraso items.

I tried Gillette Platinum in my CB Jagger DE86 and it is very sharp for me.

Good luck in your new home!
The Lord Platinum and Derby Premium blades that you have will be blades that you can rely on. The rest? Well, I suppose that that's half of the fun.
Once again, good luck!

Top Bottom