What's new

Derby premium vs extra. Which to try first?

I've never tried a single derby blade before in my 2 years of wet shaving. Feels kind of odd to wet shave without trying these when everyone here has tried it at least once.

What is the difference between the two? And I know there is a new version of the extra. Is it the one with horizontal label?

You'll get a lot of different replies on this one. I'd try the Extra first, then the Premium. You always want to start with the lesser of the two in any A/B comparison. The Extras are my goto/yardstick blade, but find the Premiums to be a little sharper, and a little smoother.

I like both of the Derby blades--I find them smooth and comfortable. But in my opinion, the Premium is way better than the Extra. The Premium is just as forgiving as the Extra, but much more smooth and long-lasting. I'd rate the Premium ahead of Persona Blue (my other go-to blade).

I only know the vertical greens and the new horizontal blue. There seems to be also red / orange ones, maybe very old?
The horizontal greens are like this:
Derby_-_1_RGN40K3S4EWW.jpg

I'm not quite sure how the blue or orange labels fit into it, but it's my understanding the pre-2016 Extras had a vertical label, and the ***-2016 had a horizontal label.

Derby Premium would be my choice. I would not bother with Derby Extra - nowhere near as pleasing to shave with. Premium are very good blades imho..

The Extras just don’t work for me - not sharp enough. I recently bought a hundred Premiums after hearing good things about them on the forum and am really enjoying them. The Premiums are definitely sharper than the Extras. To me the Premiums are smooth and not quite as sharp as an RPL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have yet to try a "Premium" Derby, but that's because all Derby's I've tried have tried to kill me by a thousand cuts, lol. Downright hate me, they do. Murderous.

I've tried all the ones I've gotten free with razor purchases over the years, multiple times, and found them to be worth less than what I paid for them.

They hate my handsome face!

Top Bottom