What's new

Derby premium,how is this blade?

I've just finished testing the Derby Premium blades through my standard 4-shave test. This was in my 1959 Gillette Fat Boy. My standard shave is 3.5 passes: one with the grain, one across the grain going outside to in, one against the grain, then one-half of a pass on the neck going across the grain going inside to out. I use TOBS and T&H creams. I only use a blade four times as a rule.

My results were average to good, depending on the shave. While the blade generally felt like it was cutting smoothly for the first couple of shaves, the shave was never very close. The last couple of shaves weren't smooth at all, but didn't produce weepers.

In my use, the Derby Extra SS is much better than the Derby Premium. I think the Derby Extra is average, not exceptional in any way. The Derby Premium is at best average. I'll probably use the rest of the pack that I received in my sampler, but I definitely will not buy more of them.

Interesting to read this. I had used the Derby Extra blade which I think is mediocre on a good day. Derby UTSA I think is decent, caught me by surprise. Then read the Premium and USTA might be the same..... so today I tried a Super.....this is one of the WORST blades I have ever tried. Burning sensation and 6+ blood spots.... this was the first and last time I ever use this blade...
Used a Fatip Lo Sorto

And NO , I refuse to try this blade in any of my other razors......, life is too short, and now even worse that we are on the life clock....., tick tock....., use good blades and good razors.... you never know.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
So...as I've posted before in this thread, the Derby Premium is ok, better than the Derby Extra, but not quite sharp enough for me.

However, I tried the Derby Usta and was pleasantly surprised. I do not think the Usta is the same blade as the Premium. It performs very well for me. I purchased 100 off of Amazon for $7.49. They are in my rotation with three other blades.

So many better blades than derby,for me this is the worst blade i ever tried,dullest .Can get decent shave with it,but why bother.....

I tried using this and agree that it's about average. I had hoped I could find a midpoint between price per blade and comfort but, alas, I don't think it's for me. In my SLOC the initial shave would get a couple weepers but by the end of its life the shaves were pleasant enough. In my beloved Krona this blade simply doesn't pass muster. When I'm DE shaving I tend to reach for my Krona over any other so this blade unfortunately won't last long in my den.

The more I use Derby Premium the better they get. When I first used them they seemed variable but nowadays I get consistently good shaves with them. One of the very best blades in my Rockwell 6c imho..

Derby Premies are nice, especially at the price. I got 9 solid shaves out of the last one I used, in an iKon Shavecraft 102 (a mild slant) with Stirling Sheep soap (ultra-slick). That’s better than average for me.
That said, they won’t join Gillette SBs and Feathers in my Blade Hall of Fame.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
The Derby Extra were always smooth, if a little dull for my taste (I prefer a sharp blade) though I still enjoy the odd shave with one. The Derby Premium are a big improvement on the extras, they give a smooth shave and are sharper although not as sharp as an Astra and I can get 5 good shaves out of one

I've just finished testing the Derby Premium blades through my standard 4-shave test. This was in my 1959 Gillette Fat Boy. My standard shave is 3.5 passes: one with the grain, one across the grain going outside to in, one against the grain, then one-half of a pass on the neck going across the grain going inside to out. I use TOBS and T&H creams. I only use a blade four times as a rule.

My results were average to good, depending on the shave. While the blade generally felt like it was cutting smoothly for the first couple of shaves, the shave was never very close. The last couple of shaves weren't smooth at all, but didn't produce weepers.

In my use, the Derby Extra SS is much better than the Derby Premium. I think the Derby Extra is average, not exceptional in any way. The Derby Premium is at best average. I'll probably use the rest of the pack that I received in my sampler, but I definitely will not buy more of them.

I retested both the Derby Premium and the Extra, and both gave really good shaves for all four shaves that I require from a blade. Perhaps my initial test was a fluke negative. I liked both of them in this latest set of tests.

Top Bottom