What's new

Derby Extra vs Feather

I have both blades and really can't tell which one is better. The Feather cuts me a bit more. I had my first shave with a Derby Extra and notice it isn't as sharp as a Feather but a little less cutting.

I would like to hear your opinion of which blade gives a better shave, less iriation, closeness...etc

Thanks

For me there is no comparison. Feather is sooooooo much better. Yes, it's sharp. Isn't that what you want????? Once you get used to feather blades and then use a derby, israeli, or one of those "dull blades" you really notice the difference. I started using a new israeli blade the other day just to use some of my other blades up. I stopped after about 2 strokes and threw the blade away. I put in a new feather and not sure I'll ever use anything else. I guess you know how I feel. :thumbup1:

I prefer the Derbys.

It really depends on your own face, though. If your beard is thick enough to make use of the sharper Feathers, then they're probably better for you. If your beard isn't very thick, something like a Derby might be smoother for you.

I have a heavy beard, but also have sensitive skin. I started out on Feathers, but ended up switching to Derby because of my skin. I found the Feather blades a little too harsh. Too bad, too, because in the kitchen, I have a weakness for japanese steel. The Derby blades are awesome...sharp, but not harsh.

I'm beginning to think a lot of it is in the prep and shaving technique. Feathers, being sharper, require more attention to technique: not so forgiving. OTOH, some just find that, no matter how careful they are, Feathers don't work for them. I like Feathers best, but Derbys are good, too. I can't stand Merkurs: way too dull & therefore harsh.

Right now with my ability, Derby's are best for my face. I'm only about a month into this so maybe in 6 months or so after I learn my face a bit more I'll try the Feather's again just to see.

Honestly, I really dislike Derby blades. I feel like they are somewhat dull and constantly drag, which results in a less-than-comfortable shave. With Feathers, I feel absolutely no drag and always get a comfortable shave. If your beard is coarse, you will certainly feel a significant difference. With good technique (appropriate blade angle with minimal pressure), you can achieve nick/pain-free shaves with the Feathers; remember, a proper wet shave is all about good technique. It took me several months of shaving with non-Feather blades before my technique was adequate for the "Japanese steel," but the wait was well worth it!

Although my beard is not dense (hairs per inch), the individual hair shafts are coarse (circumference of individual hairs), which might explain my dislike of the duller Derby blades (as compared to Feathers).

Sam

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The gradations may be small, but each razor and blade requires a slightly different technique. Given the variety of blades and razors that many of us employ, the permutations (Gad! There's that word again! http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2140&highlight=permutations) are considerable.

What I have found is that some blades that are complete dogs in one razor may shine in another, and vice versa. Razors that have languished in a drawer for months have had new life breathed into them by a simple change of a blade. Go figure. It's no wonder that so many folks have different opinions on them.

I've tried both. Feathers are nice but they can be horribly inconsistent from blade to blade. Derby blades are plenty sharp, durable, and in my experience, consistent.

Shane

Shane said:
I've tried both. Feathers are nice but they can be horribly inconsistent from blade to blade. Derby blades are plenty sharp, durable, and in my experience, consistent.

Shane

Yep!

Randy

I prefer Derbys, I can get an almost BBS shave 99% of the time without any irritation 90% of the time.

With Feathers, I get a closer shave but I've had razorburn every time I've used one so far. I think it's down to my cack handed technique though, the Derbys seem to be more forgiving (to me anyway).

already have 100 Derby's they are awesome, should I invest in another 100, coz if the ebay ppl dissappear what happens, then again maybe storage will spoil them, what do you guys think,

greenerock said:
For me there is no comparison. Feather is sooooooo much better. Yes, it's sharp. Isn't that what you want?????

No. I want a smooth, comfortable shave. I don't really care what tools I use to achieve that end.

mparker762 said:
No. I want a smooth, comfortable shave. I don't really care what tools I use to achieve that end.
Exactly! That's why the feather blades are fantastic....for me anyway. I'm getting BBS shaves with no irritation. They glide accross my face with no dragging at all. That's why I think sharper is better.

nemurenai said:
already have 100 Derby's they are awesome, should I invest in another 100, coz if the ebay ppl dissappear what happens, then again maybe storage will spoil them, what do you guys think,

No need to invest in more than you need (did I just say that? :eek:). Derby's aren't going anywhere.

Top Bottom