What's new

Derby Extra vs Feather

phishkabob said:
Honestly, I really dislike Derby blades. I feel like they are somewhat dull and constantly drag, which results in a less-than-comfortable shave. With Feathers, I feel absolutely no drag and always get a comfortable shave.

That has been my experience as well. I use Feather blades exclusively.

Opinions... Always PERSONAL opinions..:scared: Well, so that I don't antagonize anyone.. I like razor blades in my razor.. AND particulary Feather blades because they are so SHARP and SMOOTH! :001_tt2:
Put a Feather in a mild razor like a Merkur Classic and it is pure shaving pleasure. You can fly that combination over the ol' visage without fear of nicks or scrapes. Put a Feather in a serious brush-buster like a Futur and Katy bar the door!:001_wub: Even my nastiest of whiskers head for parts unknown.
Standard disclaimer.. (YMMV, ya' know:bored: )

Feathers - great shaves, but with one or two nicks every time, occasional irritation

Derbys - great shaves, no nicks or irritation

So I prefer Derbys!

I do believe it it's possible for a blade to be too sharp, just like I believe it's possible for a brush to be too dense.

John

Funny you brought this thread back up as I've been doing a comparison between Derby and Feather blades the last week or so. Very interesting stuff!

I can't quite choose one over the other as they both have their good points and very few negatives. As I'm still testing I won't say which I prefer yet.

I will say that there will be room for both of them in my shaving locker! :a14:

I have a heavy beard, but also have sensitive skin. I started out on Feathers, but ended up switching to Derby because of my skin. I found the Feather blades a little too harsh. Too bad, too, because in the kitchen, I have a weakness for japanese steel. The Derby blades are awesome...sharp, but not harsh.

+1 I agree. That extra softness comes in handy when shaving the neck/throat area. Well said.

it really depends on the razor i'm using. aristocrat or president feathers. my futur or 4o' ss derby's. if i try it the other way around miserable shave.

I guess I can't REALLY state objectively, since I've only shaved with one Feather and I went through a full box of 5 Derbys, but I really wasn't impressed with the Feather at all... the Derbys were much gentler with my face while providing a comparable shave, plus I got many more shaves out of the Derbys (4 to 5+ compared to 3 for any other blade I've tried).

Mike in Michigan

For me there is no comparison. Feather is sooooooo much better. Yes, it's sharp. Isn't that what you want????? Once you get used to feather blades and then use a derby, israeli, or one of those "dull blades" you really notice the difference. I started using a new israeli blade the other day just to use some of my other blades up. I stopped after about 2 strokes and threw the blade away. I put in a new feather and not sure I'll ever use anything else. I guess you know how I feel. :thumbup1:

+1 :thumbup1:

V

VR6ofpain

I can't stand Feathers. Sharp yes, but they tear up your face. Derby over a Feather any day. Also Derby's will last a good 5 shaves. Can't say the same for a Feather. Trash on the 3rd shave (should be tossed after two close shaves).

In general I like the feathers more.. As pointed out, you certainly do have to be more conscious of your technique with them, as they are quite unforgiving... But man what a shave...

HOWEVER... Keep in mind that it also depends a lot on the razor... I wouldn't have anything BUT a feather in my HD, but I have a SS that I prefer Derby's in... So one size doesn't always fit all... :001_tt2:

The Derby's are my go-to blade - for the reasons stated above, sharp, consistent, etc.

I find the Feathers are a little less consistent and more sensitive to technique.

When I do use a Feather, I will generally use a cream or soap with a lot of cushion (tripple-milled), especially for the first couple of shaves.

As others have said, different blades work differently in different razors and this is a highly personal issue.

I generally think the Derbys are a good newbie blade - more so than the Feather.

I've tried both. Feathers are nice but they can be horribly inconsistent from blade to blade. Derby blades are plenty sharp, durable, and in my experience, consistent.

Shane

My experience is the complete opposite. A Feather is always a Feather for me, (same goes for IP's), but I never know what was going to happen when I pop a Derby in.

Top Bottom