What's new

Derby 'extra' Stainless.

I am finally around to testing different blades on my face after getting used to enough technique that I can shave every portion of my face to BBS and my neck and chin to a DFS.

Lately I have really been enjoying the red Personna blades, finding them both sharp and smooth and quite compatible with my technique. Today I decided that I would unwrap one of these that I have in my DE blade tray
proxy.php

I lathered up with Proraso cream after a hot shower, popped a Derby into my Merkur 34c and went to town. I shaved the usual WTG, XTG, then a final XTG or ATG for my face.

I also shaved my neck WTG then XTG, usually I don't venture any further than this or I get irritation.

My verdict? the blade doesn't seem to be any difference in sharpness to the Personnas, however DAMN! it felt so smooth almost as if it wasn't touching my face. This was a double edged sword (no pun intended) as it made me feel that I could get away with an ATG or XTG 3rd pass on my neck to make it closer to a BBS finish.

... I was wrong, decent amount of burn and 2 weepers after applying some balm, but its all gone now, fantastic shave I just received though from them, I Think I will be buying a bulk load of these to include in rotation with a bulk load of Personna Red's !

I started with the Derby Extras...then tried the Red Personna after reading all the rave reviews of the Personna. I was surprised to find that the RP blade seemed to drag more than the Derby and was more irritating to my face. I like the RP blades (will probably try them again soon) but the Derbys are my current 'standard' blade due to the consistency and cheap price.

If that was your first shave with the Derby give it a try tomorrow! I find that days 2 and 3 are the 'sweet spot' with the Derby blades...the first shave is a little rough then then next two days are excellent.

If the first shave is usually considered 'rough' then these blades would shave like rubbing butter on my face tomorrow haha.

I started with Derby's early on, but something changed with them and I just don't get along with them all that well nowadays.

I had the same experience, they just tore my face up. So, I took a picture of a new Derby blade under the microscope - once I saw it, it was obvious to me why they weren't as smooth as I expected.

proxy.php

:001_tongu

So, I took a picture of a new Derby blade under the microscope - once I saw it, it was obvious to me why they weren't as smooth as I expected.
Wow! Really??

I tried a couple of them and they seemed acceptable. So I bought the big cheap brick and they don't seem sharp enough. Could be a change in my technique?

If Derby blades work for you, you're a lucky guy. They're both inexpensive and widely available.

I tried 'em and they didn't pass muster with me. Luckily I've found lots of blades I like and some of them are a very good buy in bulk. :001_smile

Pulling this thread from the "archives". I tried a Derby Extra Stainless this morning in my Fat Boy with the normal "8" setting. It felt like I was shaving with broken glass. And after my usual 3.5 pass shave, the stubble left on my face felt like I hadn't even shaved. This is a test tuck, so I ditched this blade and put a different one in. We'll see if it was a bad blade, or if these are just bad blades.

Derby Extra blades work well for me too. I like The Derby Premium blade even better though, it seems sharper and smoother than Derby Extra yet is still a very comfortable and versatile blade for me.

I am finally around to testing different blades on my face after getting used to enough technique that I can shave every portion of my face to BBS and my neck and chin to a DFS.

Lately I have really been enjoying the red Personna blades, finding them both sharp and smooth and quite compatible with my technique. Today I decided that I would unwrap one of these that I have in my DE blade tray
proxy.php

I lathered up with Proraso cream after a hot shower, popped a Derby into my Merkur 34c and went to town. I shaved the usual WTG, XTG, then a final XTG or ATG for my face.

I also shaved my neck WTG then XTG, usually I don't venture any further than this or I get irritation.

My verdict? the blade doesn't seem to be any difference in sharpness to the Personnas, however DAMN! it felt so smooth almost as if it wasn't touching my face. This was a double edged sword (no pun intended) as it made me feel that I could get away with an ATG or XTG 3rd pass on my neck to make it closer to a BBS finish.

... I was wrong, decent amount of burn and 2 weepers after applying some balm, but its all gone now, fantastic shave I just received though from them, I Think I will be buying a bulk load of these to include in rotation with a bulk load of Personna Red's !
I don't care for Derbys but I love the Personna Reds. The Derby's don't cut as well and are more prone to irritating my skin. I can see the difference in the blade edges when examined up close.

Personna Red 200x New
A New 200x.jpg

Derby Extra 200x New
M New 200X.jpg

I don't care for Derbys but I love the Personna Reds. The Derby's don't cut as well and are more prone to irritating my skin. I can see the difference in the blade edges when examined up close.

Personna Red 200x New
View attachment 1265980

Derby Extra 200x New
View attachment 1265981

I have a tough beard and very sensitive skin. I hate Derby Extra blades. The photos show why they do not work for me. On the other hand I find the Personna Israeli reds to be both sharp and smooth, once again confirmed by the photos.

Some folks can shave with Derby blades, but my face does not like them.

I used to hate Derby Extra blades(mfg pre 2016) they seemed super dull. However I find that the newer manufactured post 2016 blades work fairly well for me now since they feel much sharper than the pre 2016 blades did.

Personna Red 200x New
View attachment 1265980

Derby Extra 200x New
View attachment 1265981
I reread your Eye Test post on the Derby Extra but I couldn't determine whether the Derby Extra blade you are using and magnifying 200X is a pre or post 2016 manufacture date?

I have a tough beard and very sensitive skin. I hate Derby Extra blades. The photos show why they do not work for me. On the other hand I find the Personna Israeli reds to be both sharp and smooth, once again confirmed by the photos.

Some folks can shave with Derby blades, but my face does not like them.
I fully agree that the Personna Platinum Chrome(Israeli Red) works great for me too, is a great blade and definitely outperforms the Derby Extra blade but it is interesting that the Derby Extra works much better for me than the picture would suggest assuming it is a post 2016 blade?

Derby Extra blades work well for me too. I like The Derby Premium blade even better though, it seems sharper and smoother than Derby Extra yet is still a very comfortable and versatile blade for me.

I always hated the Derby Extras as just too dull, although I haven't tried any post-2016 manufacture.

However, I've recently tried the Derby Premium and found them very sharp and smooth, and second only to my favorite Personna Lab Blues / Med Preps.

Yeah that Derby Extra edge in the pic looks terrifying, and it matches my experience, it is not about their dullness, but about the fact that some parts of the edge can randomly nick me. There is no real consistency across the edge, again, in my experience.

I reread your Eye Test post on the Derby Extra but I couldn't determine whether the Derby Extra blade you are using and magnifying 200X is a pre or post 2016 manufacture date?
I checked my tuck of blades but I see no date on it. I purchased them on Amazon in September of 2020. They probably came from the Razor Blade Club.

I checked my tuck of blades but I see no date on it. I purchased them on Amazon in September of 2020. They probably came from the Razor Blade Club.
Thanks for checking! I haven't figured out how to identify pre & post 2016 Derby Extra's either from their packaging. I only know that the pre 2016 Derby Extra's are a noticeably thicker blade.

Top Bottom