What's new

Derby 'extra' Stainless.

I used a Derby Extra for the first time this morning that I know is pre-2016 because I bought the sample pack it came in about 10 years ago (as old as this thread, yeah?). I think I'm still bleeding. I have a tough beard and I'm used to blades having to settle in, but not like this. The broken glass analogy up above seems pretty accurate. I haven't had to pull the styptic out in awhile, but this morning it was my best friend. I'll give the blade another go and lighten up on my technique, but if I look like I had a one-night stand with Freddy Krueger again, in the bin they go.
It doesn't matter, the edge of that blade seems to be mostly jagged (see picture below), so technique will not make much of a difference.

M New 200X.jpg

I have tried with Derby Extras many different times using many different razors, and what happens is that eventually (after 4-5 shaves) your face will actually hone / smooth out the edge, at which point you will have a dull blade but without the nicks or weepers associated with it.

Hi guys, mine pre 2016 derbys are working like a charm for my face and beard (it's dense, thickness is maybe middle of the road, my skin is I think more to the normal side), razors used with- fatip grande and FOCS. Soaps and creams that I tried with it-Speick cream, Proraso red soap and Haslinger sandalwood soap. I have some blue packs post 2016 and have to give them a try, maybe after 2 weeks and then I can share my thoughts about them. About longevity I suggest not to expect something spectacular- the price is of the lower end, so every shave after the second one is like a gift. For me they were getting dull from the first shave and I managed to squeeze 3 shaves out of one blade.

Top Bottom