What's new

Derby Extra or Derby Premium - which are better blades?

The assumption is a "premium" blade would be better....What have you found...which one is better?.....This is the blade everyone likes to ridicule.

The assumption is a "premium" blade would be better....What have you found...which one is better?.....This is the blade everyone likes to ridicule.
I found them to treat me the same.

A good budget blade for me.

But there are certainly a good number of people out there who think they are garbage, and aren't afraid to tell you.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I've not used the Premium, but think the Extra is a great blade. I don't need the absolute sharpest blade. I much favor sharp enough and smooth.

Haven't tried the Premiums, but I'm a long-time user of the Extras, and I don't really understand why Derby gets flack. It's a smooth, consistent (reliable) blade, come in those little plastic casings (which I always consider a plus, although I can just imagine the grumblings of "I'd rather they spend that manufacturing cost on the blades themselves"), great forgiveness for beginners, and while I have no reservations occasionally popping them into my DEs, are the only blade I will currently trust myself with in a shavette (precisely because of that "mildness"), as I am just a rank beginner with shavettes at the moment. Yes, they are mild relative to other blades... but they are still very much RAZOR BLADES and will brook no foolishness.

I found them to treat me the same.
A good budget blade for me. But there are certainly a good number of people out there who think they are garbage, and aren't afraid to tell you.

Most of those people seem to have formed their opinion based on the pre-2016 version of the Extras. Shaving by the numbers has documented the difference between then and now.

Like you, I've had good luck with all of the Derby Blades. Roughly 25% of all the blades I've used have been Derby Extras. It's the blade I learned on. If I include Derby Premium, Derby Usta, Bluebird, the total climbs to about 35%.

I have used a few Derby Premiums. I get perfectly acceptable shaves from them, but not as many per blade as I do from the German and Russian blades I more typically use before they get too dull for my taste. Of course, my 100 pack effectively cost me $3.25, so I don't really mind.

Don't remember the one Derby Extra I used except that it was smoother than many. Again, it was fine, but I didn't get many uses out of it.

in my eyes the premiums pip the extras to the post but not buy much . the extra's give a nice smooth shave but I need to do a 3 pass and a clean up to get a great shave where as with the premiums I get the same shave on a 2 pass and a touch up .

Dig em both; I had a really good run on the Extras when I started and asked here for advice about the Premium on a 100 pack purchase. Those are great too, and I could and have easily shaved with both. For me the Premiums lasted a couple more shaves than the Extras did.

Don’t think you can go wrong either way.

I agree with Steinmetz and Lurch--I have used, and like, both. But I think the Premiums are a notch above the Extras. That having been said, I get nice shaves from both.

I agree with Steinmetz and Lurch--I have used, and like, both. But I think the Premiums are a notch above the Extras. That having been said, I get nice shaves from both.
I asked people and now I will give my opinion: They are both a "high average" blade - I rate blades 1 - 5 in half increments... I would rate both a 4.0 - not 3.5 or 4.5, but 4.0. I can not tell any difference between them in a blind test.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Most of those people seem to have formed their opinion based on the pre-2016 version of the Extras.
Did not know about the change. My first Derby Extras were awful, but that was back in 2011-12 or so. Recently, I've been very happy with Premiers, though. Guess it's about time to test-drive some Extras.

I've tried the premium ones, nothing to rave about. I don't know how the extra perform, but my friend swears that the premium are better. I find Astra SP better :)

Derby Premiums are, for me, a much better blade across the piece than Derby Extra. I find them to be sharper and smoother. In short - I like Premiums!

Premiums look like they are going to last much longer, but they still aren't a great blade for me. Maybe 40 shaves on a blade, far less than average. Better than Extra's though.

Top Bottom