What's new

Derby Extra for newbie

I've only been at this game a couple of weeks and I have easy to cut hair. Most of the time, I have no problems with almost all kinds of blades and can get clean 2 or 3 pass shaves with any of them. But today I went from a Rapira Swedish to a Derby. This is one of the few blades I've tried which seems very different from the BIC, Shark, Astra, and Rapiras I've played with. I found the Derby less sharp and had to turn up the Slim Adjustable a notch or two to cut well. However, I found that it was smooth enough to let me go over my chin and jaw about 3-4 times without irritation or nicks.

Does this sound about right? Or are there tricks I can use to improve shaving with the Derbys?

...I found the Derby less sharp and had to turn up the Slim Adjustable a notch or two to cut well. However, I found that it was smooth enough to let me go over my chin and jaw about 3-4 times without irritation or nicks.

Does this sound about right? Or are there tricks I can use to improve shaving with the Derbys?

Personally, that's why I like Derby blades. Remember, as many have stated this is beard reduction and not elimination. :001_smile

Personally, that's why I like Derby blades. Remember, as many have stated this is beard reduction and not elimination. :001_smile

I'm not really saying I dislike Derby blades. I was just noting that its sharpness/smoothness combo lends itself to a different emphasis. Especially good for cleanups and forgiving when trying out new razors or new techniques. I do feel that sharpness and aggressiveness are overrated. But then again, I don't have steel wool for hair.

Your experience sounds about right. COnsensus here is that Derby's are adequate at best. Mild shavers good in most caese for those starting out, but not top performers.

Derbys are far from the sharpest blade, but work fine in the right razor. For me, that's typically an adjustable Gillette set at #5, or a NDC SS.

I am waiting on a couple from the blade exchange. I really do hope hat i like them because they seem to be the cheapest ones I can find and a lot of people rate them highly.

I've got over half a card of voskhods left from a PIF and once I'm down to 10 or 15 of them I'll be looking for my 1st 100 blade purchase and I'd prefer that they were derby's but something that is mentioned so much that I don't think it needs to be said anymore YMMV.

I can only hope that YMMV doesn't trip up my hopes of using Derby's.

I like derby extra in my DLC weber. Works in my fatip grande too - tames the razor, giving me a smoother shave
Smooth and effective.

Derby's (and Dorco's) are a good option for me as they provide a lot less irritation that the sharper blades. I don't need to be as "on my game" when using them, as I do with the sharper offerings from Gillette and Feather.

They do give a bit of tug though, which is a turn off for some.

Your experience sounds about right. COnsensus here is that Derby's are adequate at best. Mild shavers good in most caese for those starting out, but not top performers.

I don't think there is a consensus on any blade. The only consensus is YMMV. Many would be surprised to hear it, but when I first started lurking on B&B back in 2009, Derby was probably the most recommended of any blade, especially for newbies. I still have them among the half dozen or so blades that I reach for regularly. I get a comfortable shave with them, while nothing is as apt to leave me with razor burn as a Feather. YMMV!

Violated my resolution to limit myself to a couple of brands this month. Had light growth so decided to use the infamous Dorco ST 300 that people don't seem to like. One surprise: no wax dots. A plus. Then the shave with the Slim Adj set at 4. A slight tugginess, in line with what others have said. The least sharp blade I've used. But I persisted and found them to be inoffensive -- perhaps because they are duller -- and useful at blade buffing and going over problem areas multiple times. 3d pass, I switched Slim to a 2. I went over some areas more times than I usually do. Got a strong DFS, mostly BBS with no nicks, burning, or irritation.

These remind me of a duller Derby. I think I prefer Sharks and Astras for daily use, Rapira Swedish Steel when the need for sharpness is greatest. Nonetheless, I find that I can get a decent shave from the Dorcos and I can see how they might be a fine, low risk beginner blade for someone who doesn't have thick, hard-to-cut hair. They might be good as a travel blade for low risk quick shaves, although I'd prefer to use Derbys in that capacity.

It's not a consensus, but many people seem to feel that way.

Myself and others, however, consider them among our favorite blades.

I like them. As a blade buffing berserker I need a blade to be smooth. Absolute sharpness is secondary for me.

I'm still a newbie, and after trying several different blades so far, the Derby's seem to be the smoothest for me.

Top Bottom