What's new

Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades

These are questions that can only truly be answered by you using them. I can barely get one good shave from one of them. There’s those here who swear by them.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

For me, they feel very harsh out of the box, but after a few shaves and a good amount of skin removed I find that my face smooths out the blade.

Another interesting aspect of the Derby Extra is that the irritation that it gives me persists for at least 3 days, it somehow manages to rewrite the self-healing instructions in my DNA code.

How are these blades in terms of smoothness, sharpness, longevity?
How many face shaves can you get with this blade before it starts to go bad?
The post 2016 blades are much improved but I hear the Premium are much better. As for your second question, it is very subjective so you must decide for yourself.
Derby Extra.JPG

Derby Extra are one of the blades that are too dull to cut my coarse beard. However, they may work well for you if you do not have a coarse beard. They are a relatively smooth blade. These blades are often recommended for new shavers because they are mild blades, so you are less likely to cut yourself when learning to use the razor.

Blade longevity is all over the map. I have a coarse beard and sensitive skin. I rarely get more than four shaves out of any blade before it becomes either too dull to cut my beard, or too rough for my face. Others can get weeks or even months out of a single blade. It all depends on the characteristics of your beard and your skin. Thus, you sare the only one who can determine when a blade should be replaced. Continue to use the blade until you notice a change in its performance and then replace it.

BTW- Most blades have some type of coating. The coating tends to wear off on the first shave. Many blades become sharper after the coating wears off. Some folks use a new blade for every shave, but if you do so, you might be missing out on the best shaves the blade is capable of providing.

We usually suggest that people get a sample pack of blades so they can try them out.

I think Derby Extras are smooth, rather dull compared to others, and last three or four shaves. They work well in some razors.

I'd suggest getting some samples of blades on the sharper side of the scale, such as:
- Nacet
- Feather
- Personna Med Prep
- Polsilver
- Gillette Silver Blue
- 7 O'clock (yellow)
- Perma-sharp Super
- Astra SP / Astra SS
- Rapira Platinum Lux
- others

I bought some Extras two years ago. They are too dull for me, but my son (whose beard is much lighter) likes them. I recently bought 100 Premiums and am enjoying them when my face needs a less sharp blade or I need to tone down a more aggressive razor. The Premiums are not on the sharper end of the spectrum. I would give the Premiums a try - you might like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I get about 10 shaves with them, which is short lived for me. Most blades give me at least 14 shaves. They're not the sharpest blade around, but for me, they're sharp enough, and they're comfortable.

I do find the Premium to be better, which feels sharper, and will give me around 16 shaves.

How are these blades in terms of smoothness, sharpness, longevity?
How many face shaves can you get with this blade before it starts to go bad?

You will find many comments on longevity here. If you are planning on pursuing maximum longevity, Derby doesn't seem to be a great choice. If you toss your blades after a few shaves, they are likely fine.

Based on comments in the Excalibur Club, other threads and my experience, I'd recommend trying Astra SPs in addition to the Derby's. It will soon be the only blade I use.

Derby make very good blades, the Premium and the Usta. Sadly the Extra is nowhere near as good as those two.

I had not heard of the Usta blades until now. What can you tell me about them?

The Derby Extra blades are not close to being sharp enough for my beard. Thus, I have avoided any blades made by Derby. I also felt the same way about Shark Super Chrome...too dull. Thus, I avoided Shark/Lord blades. However, one day I took a chance on the Shark Platinum blades and found they give me a nice shave. Perhaps the Usta blades would be worth trying as well. Would someone who likes very sharp blades like the Ustas?

I had not heard of the Usta blades until now. What can you tell me about them?

The Derby Extra blades are not close to being sharp enough for my beard. Thus, I have avoided any blades made by Derby. I also felt the same way about Shark Super Chrome...too dull. Thus, I avoided Shark/Lord blades. However, one day I took a chance on the Shark Platinum blades and found they give me a nice shave. Perhaps the Usta blades would be worth trying as well. Would someone who likes very sharp blades like the Ustas?

For me they work very well - efficient and smooth. The Premiums are also sharp and smooth. I would suggest getting a tuck of both.

If the Ustas are nothing but a Derby Premium in different packaging, I probably won't like them. I understand that the Premiums are a step up in sharpness from the Extras, but I need much more than a step up.

Astra SP blades, which many people consider to be sharp, are not sharp enough to give me a decent shave. I can get a decent shave from 7 O'Clock Sharpedge Yellow blades as long as I use an aggressive razor. I prefer blades even sharper than the Yellows.

If the Ustas are nothing but a Derby Premium in different packaging, I probably won't like them. I understand that the Premiums are a step up in sharpness from the Extras, but I need much more than a step up.
I don't believe that the Ustas are nothing more than a Premium in different packaging. They shave differently and feel different.
Neither blade is "a step up" from an Extra. They're in a different league entirely.
Both in my opinion are sharp blades. On my face they feel slightly sharper than a Gillette Platinum.
You seem to want very very sharp blades, and perhaps these do not fit that bill. They are both sharp and efficient, however, in my experience.

I don't believe that the Ustas are nothing more than a Premium in different packaging. They shave differently and feel different.
Neither blade is "a step up" from an Extra. They're in a different league entirely.
Both in my opinion are sharp blades. On my face they feel slightly sharper than a Gillette Platinum.
You seem to want very very sharp blades, and perhaps these do not fit that bill. They are both sharp and efficient, however, in my experience.

Although Gillette Platinum are not my preferred blades, they are sharp enough for me to get a decent shave in most razors. If the Ustas are at least as sharp as the Platinums, perhaps they would work for me. The price is not so high as to be a a significant risk.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Derby Extra have been a top 5 blade for me since my first use of them. However, all of my razors but my R41 are rigid designs. They're virtually unusable in my R41. In my Fatip Grande however, they are extremely smooth and sharp enough for a two pass BBS.

They dont last as long as some other blades and I can get 5 shaves from a single blade. The first two shaves are the best.

If you're curious about trying different types of blades, and I highly suggest you try several, have a look at Try A Blade. You can buy as many or as few of any blade you'd like to try but I'd suggest buying at least two of each. You might not like them at first, but you might love them a month or so later.

Top Bottom