What's new

Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades

I don't believe that the Ustas are nothing more than a Premium in different packaging. They shave differently and feel different...
I am curious about the Ustas and they are really inexpensive. I've only seen them being sold on secondary channels like the bay website and river website by Turkish sellers.

How would you describe the difference between the Ustas and the Premium. Can you be sure this is not just the placebo effect?

How would you describe the difference between the Ustas and the Premium. Can you be sure this is not just the placebo effect?
For me the Usta seems a little sharper than the Premium whereas the Premium seems a little smoother than the Usta. They are both great blades imho.

Derby Extra have been a top 5 blade for me since my first use of them. However, all of my razors but my R41 are rigid designs. They're virtually unusable in my R41. In my Fatip Grande however, they are extremely smooth and sharp enough for a two pass BBS.

They dont last as long as some other blades and I can get 5 shaves from a single blade. The first two shaves are the best.

If you're curious about trying different types of blades, and I highly suggest you try several, have a look at Try A Blade. You can buy as many or as few of any blade you'd like to try but I'd suggest buying at least two of each. You might not like them at first, but you might love them a month or so later.
how would they work in merkur 34c razor?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
how would they work in merkur 34c razor?

I havent used a 34C so I cant really say. Reading those that do use one and have used Derby Extra blades, there are better blades. The only way to know though is to try them and see. Everyone has different hair composition.

Post 2016 Derby Extra is a very good blade in my more aggressive razors, and in my Gillette Flare Tip.
Very smooth and sharp enough for my coarse beard.
I usually get three shaves per blade (three passes every shave).

I strop my blades on a piece of denim fabric before use. Then I dry and strop The blade in the razor after every shave by pushing the blade away from me on the piece of denim, with a towel underneath.

I usually get about 60-80 good shaves out of a Derby Extra. I have pushed a blade to 120+, but the last shaves are less than ideal. But still better than a brand new unstropped blade.
The first 10 shaves are rougher break in shaves, after that, they become very nice and smooth.

I suspect this will work with any blade. But now that I use a 5 pack a year, my 100 pack of Derby Extra will last for the best part of the rest of my life😉

One thing is for sure, I will never go back to 5-10 scratchy shaves with a New blade before tossing it in the bin…

Top Bottom