What's new

Derby Extra, better than I remember

This morning I thought it might be a good idea to try a Derby Extra blade.
I have not used Derby Extra in a few years and I remember that they were anything but sharp.

I whipped a nice lather with Palmolive Sensitive Cream,
I loaded my Gillette Flair Tip with a Derby Extra and started shaving.

Three passes and one of the most comfortable shaves ever.
First pass, WTG, and I wondered if I forgot the blade? No blade feel at all, just a smooth shave all over my face and neck.
After the first pass my face and neck was not as smooth and clean as when I shave with Astra SS or Lord Silver Star.

Second pass, XTG, was just as comfortable, the razor just glided totally effortless over my face, lovely...

Third pass, ATG, was one of the most comfortable ATG pass I ever had.
No nicks, no weepers, no tugging, no dragging, just a nice silky smooth shave.

The result was not a BBS but a really nice DFS.

I remember liking Derby when I was a noob, but then they were not sharp enough...
I have used Derby Extra in my Shavettes with mixed results, but it's been some years since I used them in a DE razor.

I can not remember Derby Extra being so incredible smooth and comfortable.
I think I will order some Derby Extra again :biggrin1:
I would not put the Derby Extra in my top 5 but it is a fine blade. It takes a lot of criticism, but it is a reliable sharp, smooth blade. I put one in my razor every once in a while. I can get three solid shaves out of a Derby Extra before it gets tossed.

Good evening all, I just had great shave with a derby extra on shave one in a 1958 red tip. One pass and some touch up, they are on par with feather, Israeli red, and vintage Wilkinson swords from England. Maybe the tungsten really does help with the other coatings on these blades and other blades with tungsten steel. Anyone have opinions on this post, I hope I’am on to something.

Derby Extra blades work really well for me providing excellent shaves similar to those from my Astra SP and Dorco blades. The main difference is that the other brands deliver more shaves per blade on average compared to the Derby's. Typically get 4-6 shaves from a Derby versus as many as 10-12 from my other brands. Note that my Derby's are post 2016 production that are noted for improved performance over earlier blades.

Good afternoon, Just had a great shave with a derby extra in my 1958 red tip, it was the 14th shave and is still going strong with no sign of losing sharpness or smoothness. They are just as good as vintage blades for me. Hopefully they keep going strong.

I have changed my view of Derby Extra a lot over the years. For a long time I considered it one of the worst blades I knew of, not sharp at all.
Then I gradually started developing a liking for what I conceived of as "dull" blades, what most other people (I learnt) call "smooth" blades. For me this really started with the Treet "Black Beauty", a very "smooth" blade..!! Once I had gotten to appreciate what you can achieve with a "smooth" blade, I completely changed view on the Derby Extra. It has really earned my respect, it is a fantastic blade. As for "smooth" blades, it is among my top three I think (along with Treet BB and Lord platinum). This is both in a milder razor like the Merkur 34, and in a more aggressive one (like the Fatip OC)

Top Bottom