What's new

Derby blades, A winner

Just received a sample of derby blades from a forum member. I just had my shave now. The verdict?? The best blades i have ever used. They are so smooth they dont skip at all and not only that i found that they shave closer than the merkur blades.
I also just put in a bid for those 100 derby blades.
Another happy customer.:thumbup1:

I tried the Derby blade this morning for the first time. I like the price but unfortunately for me, they did not even come close to the comfort and closeness of the Feather blades in the Vision. Actually I prefer the Merkur blades over the Derby. I was hoping the Derby's would work out for me since they are so readily available on Ebay.

I'm still awaiting the arrival of the Israeli Personna and the Swedish Gillette blades to try out. However, I have the feeling the Feather is going to be the one for me. Even though I'm anxious to try the Swedish Gillette, it is not so readily available and cost significantly more than the Feather.

Bud

I used a Derby blade for the first time this morning, too. I didn't like it on the first pass, but after 3 passes, I've decided Derbys are great.
Mark:biggrin:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I agree. The Derbys don't remove as much on the first pass as a Feather, but they are gentle enough to catch up on ensuing passes. The Feathers make a fabulous first pass, but I don't use them much for blade buffing.

As much as I like the Derby blades, I would take a "good" Feather blade over any other blade. Unfortunately, I have found the Feather blades to be hugely inconsistent, out of a pack of ten, I get three, maybe four, really good smooth blades. The other's are just too rough for a comfortable shave. The good thing about Derby's is that they are very consistent.

Its amazing how one blade on different people can react. I used to think once a blade is just a blade, but not anymore.
Might have to try out the feathers as well one of these days.

As I posted about two weeks ago, Derby's are now my balde of choice. In fact, yesterday I had one of the best shaves ever with a Derby on its 4th shave. After the third pass I almost didn't go back for the fourth, that's how smooth it was. And no nicks, no weepers, no irritation, nothing.

I understand everyone's face is different, and for those who like the feathers, I can only say I'm glad you found what worked for you. For me, Derby's in my Merkur HD are top shelf. Now, when I start using my Gillette Super Adjustable I'll have to re-evaluate. But who knows, myabe Derby's will work there too.

I hope they do, I have 100 of them!

Peace,

Pierre

guenron said:
Hello Pierre,
Do you find that you can get a weeks-worth of shaves from one Derby blade?

Actually, due, in part, to my laziness, I don't neccessarily shave everyday.

However, I find that I always get at least four really good shaves out of a Derby. Sometimes the 5th shave is good, sometimes fair, depends on how many multiple days beard shaves I give it.

If I shave everyday, I can 5 really good shaves from a Derby.

I don't try for six under either circumstance - the cost just doesn't justify the risk. At $0.25 per blade, even at four shaves each I'm feeling pretty good.

So, um, what was the question?

Peace,

Pierre

vox_rox said:
Actually, due, in part, to my laziness, I don't neccessarily shave everyday.

However, I find that I always get at least four really good shaves out of a Derby. Sometimes the 5th shave is good, sometimes fair, depends on how many multiple days beard shaves I give it.

If I shave everyday, I can 5 really good shaves from a Derby.

I don't try for six under either circumstance - the cost just doesn't justify the risk. At $0.25 per blade, even at four shaves each I'm feeling pretty good.

So, um, what was the question?

Peace,

Pierre
Interesting answer Pierre. I find, without regard to the razor, the first shave on a Derby is not very smooth, i.e. it drags and tugs a bit. The second and third are very good, almost measuring up to the quality I find in a Feather. The fourth shave is almost always marginal. I usually retire the blade to the coffin after the shave and load a new one the next day.:sad:

guenron said:
Interesting answer Pierre. I find, without regard to the razor, the first shave on a Derby is not very smooth, i.e. it drags and tugs a bit. The second and third are very good, almost measuring up to the quality I find in a Feather. The fourth shave is almost always marginal. I usually retire the blade to the coffin after the shave and load a new one the next day.:sad:

Well, now that you mention that, I do treat the first shave with some caution. I go a bit slower and concentrate more on angle because I find I can get a few weepers, and the shave, in general, is not as comfortable.

Still, shaves 2,3, & 4 are always really good, and I never really find an issue with the fourth, at least I haven't yet. And, I too, sometimes retire the blade after 4 because, as I already mentioned, for 25 cents a blade, 4 really good shaves is a bargain in ANYONE'S book.

Peace,

Pierre

guenron said:

The Derby blades give me 3-4 good shaves too.

In an HD, I regulary get 6-7 very nice shaves from a Derby. In a slant bar, however, it is more like 4-5.

Deep dredging

proxy.php

Derby in R41, slants, and Fatip.

7 O'clock blacks in most everything else.

proxy.php

Top Bottom