Depression-era meals or recipes wanted

Discussion in 'The Mess Hall' started by CallMeNugget, Jun 14, 2019.

How to Cook a Wolf, by MFK Fisher. Good place to start.

1. I made fried potatoes and hotdogs not long ago. A friend gave me a couple jars of homemade chow chow that complimented it nicely.

My grandma told me she made biscuits and gravy for breakfast and beans and corn bread for dinner every week night during that time.

2. What is chow chow?

3. Cold bean sandwiches.

Peanutbutter and banana sandwich.

4. It’s a kind of pickle relish. Lots of versions out there. Some made with green tomatoes or cabbage as the base vegetable. In the south it’s usually sweet. Served on hot dogs, hamburgers or beans. Or whatever you would use pickle relish on or in. It reminds me of grandma.

Chow-chow (food) - Wikipedia

5. martym

martym Contributor

Last week at mom and dad’s I had cornbread crumbled into a mason jar and filled with ice cold buttermilk.
    Heaven in a jar!

When I was little we had lots of bean tacos.

6. Thanks for then suggestion of Clara's videos. I enjoyed them immensely.

Talked with my 83 year old mother today about them and she's interested in seeing them. It stirred up a lot of memories for her.

Chris

7. Same here. By the end of the week, I think there was more lard than beans in the pot LOL!

8. I was recently searching for a no-egg chocolate cake recipe that I remembered as a child, and came across many "depression" cakes, also known as wacky cake and crazy cake.
    Seems like the name came from the fact that you mixed all the dry ingredients in the bowl, and made 3 small depressions in the mix to hold the liquid ingredients prior to mixing. Then I stumbled upon that it was called "depression cake" because it was invented during the Great Depression! Didn't use eggs, dairy, or butter - all of which were hard to come by and expensive during that time. Makes sense to me.

Do an internet search for wacky cake - there are alot of variations.

9. Fried potatoes and hot dogs were a treat when I was a kid. We still have them several times a year. My father told me that when he was a kid they would have potato peal soup, and the peels did not have much potato. The soup was made with potato water and a piece of speck.

10. Have you ever heard of a wish sandwich? A wish sandwich is the kind of a
    sandwich where you have two slices of bread and you, hee hee hee, wish you
    had some meat...
    Bow bow bow...

'Blues Brothers - Rubber Biscuit'

11. DoctorShavegood

DoctorShavegood Ambassador

Yes we did. Corn tortillas slathered with butter and refried beans. Hot sauce was too expensive.

12. This thread makes me even more thankful for what we have access to today. We're now way overfed as a nation and produce way too much food, but I suppose it's better than the opposite.

13. oc_in_fw

oc_in_fw Contributor

The greatest thing ever- Buster posted a good link.

14. My childhood. Exactly. I will never forget.

15. youtube has a gramma from the era that is posting videos of what they use to eat when times are hard

16. I remember my Grandmother putting 1 slice of cheese on a piece of bread, then pouring some beans on top. She would put it in the oven just to heat up. It really doesn't sound good, but I have fond memories of eating it with her.

17. 6E23D8CF-E786-433A-AF28-2965FFCC3891.jpeg
    More Depression era recipes in this book than anyone will ever need.

18. Then there are those poor people on the East coast (of North America) who could not afford to eat anything better than lobster.

Ah. Sounds like a "Jam Sandwich".
    Take two pieces of bread and jam them together.

Another source of low-budget recipes can be found in a Victory Cookbook, published during WWII, during rationing.
    Victory Cook Book | Wartime Canada
    or
    Victory Cook Book Lysol 1943 : Lehn & Fink Products : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive