What's new

Repository of Information about Pike / Norton / American Novaculite

Heaping some more on the pile. Two of my documents wouldn't upload because they were too large. The 1913 Pike How to Sharpen and What to Use is a little under 12MB and the 1935 Norton Oilstones Abrasive Specialties is a little over 25MB.

Attachments

• 2021 Norton Sharpening Products and Dressing Sticks Catalog.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 1959 Norton Pike How to Sharpen_text.pdf
    801.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 1955 Norton Pike How to Sharpen_text.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 1944 Norton Pike How To Sharpen_text.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 1902 Pike Oil Stones How to Select and Use Them.pdf
    6.2 MB · Views: 15
Heaping some more on the pile. Two of my documents wouldn't upload because they were too large. The 1913 Pike How to Sharpen and What to Use is a little under 12MB and the 1935 Norton Oilstones Abrasive Specialties is a little over 25MB.

Ooh cheers, a few there I don't think I've seen. I look forward to them!

The 1902 pamphlet you have there, which I seem not to have included, is particularly interesting... because it contains the first and only historic acknowledgement I've found that 'Turkish' Oilstones came from Crete.

Screenshot 2023-03-25 222949.jpg

And almost as interestingly - this particular paragraph is omitted from the 1905 version of the same pamphlet.

Now call me a bluff old cynic, but if for instance you had recently bought up all of the Sutton Ouachita quarries, as well as your main market competitor (George Chase) in selling the stones, then to complete one's monopolisation of the market - it might be a good idea not to let anybody know where Turkey stones could still be found readily available...

Well these new documents that ES has shared are already proving their worth handsomely, in answering one of the great mysteries surrounding the evolution and history of the Norton Sportsman.

For many years it was a Coarse India x Washita (WIP13), and today a Coarse x Fine India (IBP34). Though at some point there was clearly an intermediary stage; the troublesome teenage years when the Norton Sportsman went somewhat 'off the rails', and became the JKP13 - a Coarse Crystolon x Queer Creek. So when did this change occur...?

Many (me) had assumed the answer now lost to the sands of time. But ho! Look here at the 1955 pamphlet advertising the WIP13 Sportsman:

Screenshot 2023-03-25 231353.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-25 231721.jpg

And compare to the 1959 Sportman [sic] iteration:

Screenshot 2023-03-25 230156.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-25 233613.jpg

And isn't that a weight off everyone's minds eh!

Top Bottom