What's new

Deodorant / Antiperspirant for Sensitive and Irritated pits???

Alright folks, I'm coming to the best source I have. I need yer help.

My problem: It seems everything I try to use ends up causing my pits to be super irritated, think serious diaper rash or the worst razor burn in history.

My attempts so far: Crystal; tried that for a couple years, and it works for the most part. It worked well for a long time, but I can't say it saved me from stinkypit. Toms for Men; tried for about a week and was no help whatsoever. Now, if I try it, my pits are burning like a fresh splash of clubman after a dry shave. Shaving the pits, then attempting the above 2 options; better, but not good by a long stretch. Going without; doesn't work, for obvious reasons.

I'm left at this point to shave the pits, then use a Gold Bond anti-chafing stick, then a spritz of the general area with some scented deodorant to ease the stink. I don't use much of the spray on, and I don't spray directly on the pits. I'm at a loss, and I figure the B&B crew knows more about being hygienic than most other internet forums.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Shave the pits, apply deodorant of choice immediately after getting out of the shower is the best process you can do.

As far as deodorant to use, you could try rubbing alcohol or anti-bacterial soap (if you can still find it) followed by the Crystal. You might get more mileage out of it that way.

Toms is terrible imo. If your pits are that sensitive I do think you'll have a lot of trouble with the baking soda based deodorants like Razorock's.

If you do go with a deodorant/antiperspirant, try to make sure that it is unscented and not extra strength.

I would go back to crystal rock. At least until the skin calms down. Then figure out what alternatives you like best. For example, you might want to try Osma's deodorant rock. IMO they are a bit better than Crystal.
Also, IME with the alum blocks your shower soap is very important. Make sure you use a good (removes all the nasty stuff, not just a nice scent) yet gentle soap. I am using Dr. Bronner's unscented bar right now. Works pretty well and a little goes a looong way.

I get a bad reaction from any anti perspiramt. So I have to use deodorant which obviously isn’t as effective as to odor control. But I’ve been using Old Spice High Endurance with success. Comes in a few different scents. It lasts the day for me (office job tho). I know there can be a bias here against the name brand mass produced P&G type products but I have to admit it works best for me and that’s after havimg tried many many artisan and natural deo products including Crystal.

I have this exact problem for years with pretty much every deodorant stick I’ve tried... now I rub on an alum block liberally then dust with a little gold bond talc. Been a year and havent had a single issue.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I use Nivea Sensitive for men. The only one that I can use that doesn't give me a rash of any kind, all other deodorants inflame my armpits.

Thanks for the replies folks. I'll probably pick up a new stick of Crystal, since mine is about dead anyway, and maybe give the Nivea a shot. The Toms is definitely going in the garbage.

I use Nivea sensitive body wash, have for years. Indianapolis has water so hard it's almost crunchy, so I need all the help I can get.

For the last 3 years I have used Crystal (alum block). If I exercise than I have to apply it a 2nd time in a day but otherwise just once per day. I will never go back to conventional deodorants, they are all bad for your health.

The guys that say Alum block is not strong enough and they still stink........Those guys are eating an unhealthy diet if they still stink on top of the Alum block.

I have this exact problem for years with pretty much every deodorant stick I’ve tried... now I rub on an alum block liberally then dust with a little gold bond talc. Been a year and havent had a single issue.

Talc? Didnt I read this year that it has been deemed to be toxic?

You would be better off with just plain cornstarch. But I myself am not a heavy sweater so I dont even care about anti-perspirent effects.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So last week I was sick with a fever and my left pit became irritated, red, itchy, you name it. It hurt. Fresh from the shower I mixed up some jojoba oil as a carrier, with about 4 or 5 drops of tea tree oil. Burned a bit for a few minutes. Did it again the next day. Problem solved. Started using arm and hammer deodorant with baking soda, odor protection lasts probably 16 hours, no irritation. I have heard of homemade deos using jojoba as a carrier, and tea tree and lavender as an every day deo. May try it, as tea tree kills about anything. I've used it on cancre sores to great effect.

I used alum years ago as a deodorant without issue and have again been using for the last couple of months. Have used alum after my shave for the last three years no problems except for one soap i've been using of late, when i apply the alum my face does burn, not too too badly but it's not something i look forward too. I'm wondering if maybe your alum is reacting with something left on your skin from the body wash you've been using.

Have you tried applying alum anywhere else washed with that body wash, same reaction, no reaction. Have you tried a simple unscented bar soap for a shower then followed with the alum, same results?
dave

I tried Alum as a deodorant, but had irritation. I’ve been using the deodorant from Sudsy Soapery for the last 6 months or so, and am overall pretty happy with it.
Natural Deodorant
I have the original, the Sandlewood and Citrus, and just got the Frankincense.

Talc? Didnt I read this year that it has been deemed to be toxic?

You would be better off with just plain cornstarch. But I myself am not a heavy sweater so I dont even care about anti-perspirent effects.

From what I understand, studies of it show only a negligible difference. Other studies show no increased risk. Talcum powder used to have trace amounts of asbestos (which clearly would be an issue) but that hasn’t been the case since the 70s. I’ve tried the corn starch versions, and while they do work, I haven’t found any that work as well.

I dont know very much about Talc but do remember reading that it is harmful, linked to cancer and did you know it is a prohibited ingredient in the EU? They have actually banned it completely.

Talcum Powder and Cancer

I was in the habit of using talc based powder inside my shoes to control bad odor. I still have some Baby powder from the dollar store that I sprinkle in my running sneakers. Since I always wear socks I did not think it would harm me since I have the socks as a barrier between my skin and the Talc

For the last 3 years I have used Crystal (alum block). If I exercise than I have to apply it a 2nd time in a day but otherwise just once per day. I will never go back to conventional deodorants, they are all bad for your health.

The guys that say Alum block is not strong enough and they still stink........Those guys are eating an unhealthy diet if they still stink on top of the Alum block.

Or maybe we’re not all exactly the same and have different reactions to things?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Or maybe we’re not all exactly the same and have different reactions to things?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Yup. I wish Crystal worked for me, but it just isn’t adequate. I sometimes combine it with a deodorant, which is a good solution, but a bit fussy.

Top Bottom