What's new

Denver & Liely Whisky Glass

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
My glass arrived today. :thumbup:

So I decided the best way to check the glass out way in a side by side taste test with a Glencairn Whisky Nosing Glasses.

I did not measure but think I pour a touch more in the Denver & Liely but that's hard to see with the different shape. The D&L has a very wide base.

20181003_193436.jpg

20181003_193314.jpg

I was not expecting much of a taste difference in the two glasses but there was a notable difference.
At first I thought maybe it was the amount of water added so added a few more to the Glencairn. Nope still a slight difference. Maybe it is the wide base of the D&L letting the whisky breath more? Maybe it was a slight different amount of water...….more testing needed in the name of science. :)
Maybe add a few drops of water to the whisky in another glass then split between the two glasses.
That will have to wait another night. I just pour a another dram in the D&L

The D&L is not heavy at all, I was expecting a bit more weight but like its weight anyway. I'm guessing that there may be slight weight difference due to it being hand blow.
I like how it feels in the hand, it just feels better for me with a wider grip.
Nosing from it is good but the Glencairn wins that when just nosing.
Drinking from it was good, with easy sipping for the entire volume of the glass.
When drinking my big schnauzer would get further into the glass than with the Glencairn and with the shape added well to the aroma while drinking. Maybe that could be part of the taste difference I was noticing.

Over all I like this glass. I'm not saying it's better, just different and are currently enjoying it.

A special thank you to @Doc4 Thanks for the whisky recommendation, I'm enjoying the Springbank.

Legion

Staff member
I find, if the bottle is still in the brown paper bag, the notes are slightly lighter and more airy, while sitting on a park bench. I enjoy a more phenolic dram by the burning drum in the colder months, and will sometimes use a jam jar for nosing.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Glad y9u like it ... thanks for the in-depth report!

My glass arrived today. :thumbup:

So I decided the best way to check the glass out way in a side by side taste test with a Glencairn Whisky Nosing Glasses.

I did not measure but think I pour a touch more in the Denver & Liely but that's hard to see with the different shape. The D&L has a very wide base.

View attachment 917018

View attachment 917019

I was not expecting much of a taste difference in the two glasses but there was a notable difference.
At first I thought maybe it was the amount of water added so added a few more to the Glencairn. Nope still a slight difference. Maybe it is the wide base of the D&L letting the whisky breath more? Maybe it was a slight different amount of water...….more testing needed in the name of science. :)
Maybe add a few drops of water to the whisky in another glass then split between the two glasses.
That will have to wait another night. I just pour a another dram in the D&L

The D&L is not heavy at all, I was expecting a bit more weight but like its weight anyway. I'm guessing that there may be slight weight difference due to it being hand blow.
I like how it feels in the hand, it just feels better for me with a wider grip.
Nosing from it is good but the Glencairn wins that when just nosing.
Drinking from it was good, with easy sipping for the entire volume of the glass.
When drinking my big schnauzer would get further into the glass than with the Glencairn and with the shape added well to the aroma while drinking. Maybe that could be part of the taste difference I was noticing.

Over all I like this glass. I'm not saying it's better, just different and are currently enjoying it.

A special thank you to @Doc4 Thanks for the whisky recommendation, I'm enjoying the Springbank.

I've had my eye on this glass for a few months now. Does anyone have one and what are your thoughts.
This looks just the ticket for me if it was not for the price.
I have a couple of Glencairn Whisky Nosing Glasses which are ok but are well... dainty.
They lack the weight and size of a tumbler that I like. This glass seems to address the weight and girth to grip while still having the nosing funnel. Oh but the price, it's $50 for one glass. Then again if it the glass for me the price of purchase would soon be forgotten after a few drams. :)

If you don't have this one do you have a similar glass you could recommend.

View attachment 916128
View attachment 916129

Great looking glasses! :a14::a14:

Talk about Denver and whiskey glasses, there's this old school restaurant supply warehouse on N. Washington where for many years I've been buying these seven ounce French glasses, $24.00 for four in a package, giving them away as gifts and keeping eight or so glasses around the house. These are heavy, weighted, clear, and the perfect size for neat, on the Rock's, smooth pours, vodka with olives, you name it. I've got great glasses in the house but this my everyday whiskey glass. Another reason I like 'em... durable! I break glasses, some of us do... spending lots of money on glasses that I know could break... Ouch! YMMV. These are great whiskey glasses.
20181114_104635.jpg

Top Bottom