What's new

Denali US made stainless adjustable

R

romsitsa

But is it "simply" a dialed down Rex or does it have a different head gemoetry?

Ty

You have lost me here - all the posts do is line up 3 (or 4 depending in the design) things (Top cap, Adjuster/Bottom plate and Blade) with each other and if they are a reasonably close fit it shouldn't make the slightest bit of difference to alignment as to where they are.
Not having used the Denali, I cannot address this, although @Shavemd has. My point is that 2 and 3 piece razors that use posts on the base rather than top cap can be hard to load and align (my examples in the previous post). I'm not a fan of that design. So, if you are using a Game Changer by Razorock, it's a bit more cumbersome to replace a blade than it is with their Lupo models. Maybe I'm challenged that way and atypical of the majority.

The blade lines up perfectly and since the post are tall and hold the blade well it is easy to slide the top cap on and tighten it up. I believe the advantage of this design is it allows for a slimmer top cap.
This is a great point. As I’ve posted several times, the Rex is my favorite razor (to date). I also very much like the Flexi. However, I’m not a fan of how either one sits/loads the blade. The posts in the top cap on both the Ex and Pearl are too shallow. Large posts on the baseplate sounds like a better design.

But is it "simply" a dialed down Rex or does it have a different head gemoetry?

Ty
I recently sold my 3rd Rex, I had M,N, & O serials. Withought being able to lay them side by side I can only go by feel and results. The level 6 on the Denali was significantly smoother than the Rex on 5 for me, but it gave the exact same shave. Also the ATG felt much smoother on the Denali. The Denali is lighter by about 10 grams and the Top cap is much thinner.

Not having used the Denali, I cannot address this, although @Shavemd has. My point is that 2 and 3 piece razors that use posts on the base rather than top cap can be hard to load and align (my examples in the previous post). I'm not a fan of that design. So, if you are using a Game Changer by Razorock, it's a bit more cumbersome to replace a blade than it is with their Lupo models. Maybe I'm challenged that way and atypical of the majority.
I agree with you on loading the gamechanger and also the CG Everyday, those baseplates have a curve to them and the tabs don’t protrude far enough to really hold the blade well, the Denali base is flatter and the posts protrudes far enough that the blade stays in place on its own.

I just received a new adjustable razor, The Denali, that is 316 SS and made in the USA but currently only for sale in Italy. The creator, Giovanni, started this project with Matt from RE along with one other gentleman, Matt decided to go with a more aggressive Rex and Giovanni wanted a smoother razor so they went their separate ways.

When you first see the razor it looks very much like a Rex and even has excellent knurling on the handle. The lather ports are similar and very effective. The Denali has large tabs on the base of this 2 piece razor to hold the blade while placing on the top cap, works very well. The Top of the top cap is mirrored polish but the underside and the top of baseplate are machined. The solid bars are also fine polished.

I loaded up a 2nd use PolSilver and lathered up my ETHOS Peppermint, as it’s really muggy here today and proceeded with a 3 pass shave on 72 hours growth.

WTG Dialed up to level 6 and it had good blade feel but smoothly took off a good portion of my beard.

XTG. Level 5, Very smooth with a touch of blade feel and I was DFS in 2 passes

ATG Level 4. Extremely smooth ATG with minimal blade feel. End result BBS.

My initial impression is this is a very well built razor. I would say it is about 1 level down in efficiency compared to the Rex so a 6 on the Denali is more like a 5 on the Rex but significantly smoother. I will have to compare it to my Pearl, which for me has been very good but there still are complaints on the Pearls quality.

View attachment 1279334View attachment 1279335View attachment 1279336View attachment 1279337View attachment 1279338
How is the smoothness and efficiency compared to the Taiga?

Sounds like this is the same person that approached me at a trade show in Pasadena a few years ago. It was same Trade Show where the Rx was unveiled. Kinda strange situation, he wanted to partner with me on an ATT adjustable razor. I passed on his offer, didn't think the world needed a Rex twin.

My Denali finally arrived today - so wanted to share my fast box opening impressions.

Overall: This is a gorgeous looking razor. Seems very well made, feels really sturdy. If I should be a wee bit negative (as I am a stainless steel nerd) the knurled handle part has a bit of a shine that makes it look cheaper than the purchase price … where, incidentally I clocked 80 USD extra in local customs 🤦.

The text engraving on the back of the baseplate does not seem deep and neither does the adjustment numbering. On mine there are quite a few very small scratches in the back of the baseplate - only visible in close-up and angling right to the light. Not an issue for me but definitely far from Wolfman standard. I actually like that the topcap is polished and the rest not, I think it looks cool.

Adjustment as we know is infinite - I do personally prefer the clicking of an old Gillette. But it seems to work fine.

And continuing - Balance seems no less than perfect(!), it is neither head nor handle heavy. Absolutely spot on as is the handle grip. Weighs in at 95 grams but somehow in hand feels a lot lighter (which is perfect for me). Total length at 89 mm, also right up my alley.

So overall great first impressions. This is for sure an initial production-run razor but it feels great in hand and I cannot wait to try it out. First shave tomorrow morning, will report my findings.

Added a few fast pics.

All best
Peter

631626DA-339D-44A5-B3CD-154D18D5F648.jpeg
DCB39CD8-75F3-4C16-B673-DA3969E2CAFA.jpeg
AEDC2A3C-2BAE-4095-AF4F-AEE773488207.jpeg
50BDC2B0-8673-4CDE-B327-5B47715834CB.jpeg

My Denali finally arrived today - so wanted to share my fast box opening impressions.

Overall: This is a gorgeous looking razor. Seems very well made, feels really sturdy. If I should be a wee bit negative (as I am a stainless steel nerd) the knurled handle part has a bit of a shine that makes it look cheaper than the purchase price … where, incidentally I clocked 80 USD extra in local customs 🤦.

The text engraving on the back of the baseplate does not seem deep and neither does the adjustment numbering. On mine there are quite a few very small scratches in the back of the baseplate - only visible in close-up and angling right to the light. Not an issue for me but definitely far from Wolfman standard. I actually like that the topcap is polished and the rest not, I think it looks cool.

Adjustment as we know is infinite - I do personally prefer the clicking of an old Gillette. But it seems to work fine.

And continuing - Balance seems no less than perfect(!), it is neither head nor handle heavy. Absolutely spot on as is the handle grip. Weighs in at 95 grams but somehow in hand feels a lot lighter (which is perfect for me). Total length at 89 mm, also right up my alley.

So overall great first impressions. This is for sure an initial production-run razor but it feels great in hand and I cannot wait to try it out. First shave tomorrow morning, will report my findings.

Added a few fast pics.

All best
Peter

View attachment 1285587View attachment 1285588View attachment 1285589View attachment 1285590

Does it disassemble completely like the Gibbs or did they Loctite it like the Rex?

Looking forward to hearing about your shave.

My first impressions on the razor.
I like the polished lower profile topcap.
I've always thought that the Rex Knurling is up there with the best, I found this slightly better.
I love the fact that it can be dismantled completely to clean - kudos there.
Packaging - Its perfectly functional and protects the razor perfectly. For me that's the way that it should be because I don't shave with the packaging.

Improvements:
The adjustment mark on the dial - mmmm, Its small and I suspect will fade over time.
The dial stops at 7, they missed the "over-clock" trick.

How does it shave:
Its advertised as been mild, and yes it is mild. With this in mind, I had a Feather that had one shave on it, lying in wait. I'm not a big fan of Feathers but acknowledge that they are the sharpest around.
I started "midway" on 3-AGT, dialed it to 6-WTG. There is very little blade feel on either setting. At this point I was not where I wanted to be.
In preparation for the shave, I set it up so that I could overclock it on the fly and dialed it to about 9 and redid the WTG pass plus my normal buffing - that did it for me.
I personally found a little bit of drag - less than an Aluminium Gibbs but more than the Chrome plated one. My personal preference is a slightly shorter handle, but this does balance nicely.

YMMV, for me this works on the higher settings and will benefit from been overclocked - I've made up a new adjuster dial that allows me to overclock and also has a Swarovski Crystal as the indicator.

SOTD210622.jpg

Loctite. Giovanni corrected himself on this in another forum.
If I understood @THall question, the handle on the Rex has been Loctited to the head section and thus does not disassemble.

The twist knob on the Denali has a compression ring this making it a two piece, but other than that it disassembles into the same "pieces" as a Gibbs.

I think that the Loctite on the Denali is put into the joint where the shaft screws into the topcap, maybe between the two pieces of the adjuster plate and the two pieces of the bottom plate.

We apply loctite the threaded stem where it mates with the head cap and in other areas where a threaded stem needs to be secured. It's normal, whenever a thread needs to be secured. It does not affect the disassembly of the razor. Sorry if I did not clarify this before.

Can anyone already compare to Pearl Shaving Flexi?

Let me try..

The tolerances on the Pearl are "sloppy" for want of a better word where as they are far closer in the Denali.
The Pearl is chrome plated brass so there is no real finishing needed, whereas the Denali been stainless steel, the opposite applies.

With only one shave on it, its early days for the Denali and this opinion could change.
On the lower settings, its too mild for me. On the higher settings, I found very little blade feel but a bit of drag. That drag could possibly be removed with a slicker soap.

Pearl - I found more blade feel and less drag.

As they come I found neither to be easy BBS razors but I find the Pearl gives me slightly better results - YMMV and read my "disclaimer" above.

If your preference is milder and/or better quality razors, then the Denali is for you.
If your preference is cheap and/or more effective razors, take the Pearl.

Top Bottom