What's new

Den clearance PIF, going minimalist

Gentlemen: Effective 01 Jan 2023, will be going total minimalist, using only one razor, BIC Chrome blades, soap, Noble Otter brush, and my WCS Blue plastic bowl. To accomplish this, I need advice on whether my WCS 84S or King C Gillette razor would be best. Please give me your advice on the best razor to use.

The best advice on the razor I keep will receive the Q-Shave Scuttle and Grey Dog brush. The best advice on the 2nd place razor will get the Fine Stoneware lather bowl, and that razor.

Please give me your opinions by 3:00 PM on 31 Dec. These items will be mailed shortly after 03 Jan 2023 after my retirement annuity check is in the bank.

PIF.jpg

Bobby, first of all congrats and kudos on your decision. Brave man! Coincidentally my LOTH is celebrating her 50th birthday on the 3rd!

As for the razor I checked your stats and at least based on page hits you have made more mentions/uses with the WCS84. So apparently that one has the advantage over the KCG. More importantly since this will be your one razor I would look for durability and the WCS is all stainless whereas the KCG is Zamak with stainless handle (and even that we do not know for sure). Personally I like the design of the WCS handle less than the KCG - so you could make it into a Franken razor, but ok. And WCS has other handles should you choose to use your check in that way 😁.

The WCS is also lighter in weight which I would consider beneficial as it will be easier to use and control than a heavier razor. So should anything happen which would impact your future abilities a lighter razor would better enable you to continue shaving.

Finally, it is also smaller in size adding to the nimbleness of the razor compared to the KCG.

Again, much respect for going minimalist!

Cheers,

Guido

Great PIF!

Both of those razors use cast metal heads that can be susceptible to corrosion and breakage if the chrome plating fails.

In favor of keeping the KCG, that razor is very easy to replace if breaks due to the fact you can buy it in numerous brick and mortar stores (Target, Walmart, Walgreens, etc.). If you keep the WCS razor, there's a little longer wait to get it replaced if it breaks. If they shave equally well to you, then I would suggest keeping the KCG due to its ubiquity and ease of replacement.

You are living my dream, my friend. I'd be fine with the razor, brush, aftershave, and blade, but I couldn't pare down my soaps anytime soon. I know what I like and what I would be extremely happy using- and am only buying the type of soaps now that fit my criteria- but have sooo much stuff to use up before I get to the point of only using one.

I cannot answer your question because I know nothing about either razor. Honestly, I didn't even know WCS (West Coast Shaving, right?) Had their own brand of razor. Obviously, I didn't fall down the razor rabbit hole. 😉

Good luck with your journey and thank you for your PIF.

Yes, read your post and then reread their page. I think I read 303 stainless, but it appears to be for the handle only.
No worries, friend. Just wanted to clarify that the materials for both razor heads have similar longevity.

Reactions: Kix
Neat way to do a PIF!

Although of the two razors I've only used the King C. Gillette, I'm going to suggest the WCS 84S. I've reviewed some of your posts for each razor in the "What did you use today, rate the shave 1 - 10" thread, and it appears that you get overall better shaves with the WCS 84S. Plus I like the handle better.

I'd go with the WCS 84S razor. I like the shorter, grippier handle a lot better. The head on the 84S is similar to, but maybe slightly more aggressive than, the KCG razor. The head on both razors is similar in construction using plated zinc alloy.

If the WCS were indeed stainless, the choice would be clear. However, replacement heads in the unlikely event it needs to be replaced, are quite inexpensive. Moreover, the monster-sized KCG handle is its weak point. I mean, keep both and use the KCG handle for self defense!

Gentlemen: Effective 01 Jan 2023, will be going total minimalist, using only one razor, BIC Chrome blades, soap, Noble Otter brush, and my WCS Blue plastic bowl. To accomplish this, I need advice on whether my WCS 84S or King C Gillette razor would be best. Please give me your advice on the best razor to use.

The best advice on the razor I keep will receive the Q-Shave Scuttle and Grey Dog brush. The best advice on the 2nd place razor will get the Fine Stoneware lather bowl, and that razor.

Please give me your opinions by 3:00 PM on 31 Dec. These items will be mailed shortly after 03 Jan 2023 after my retirement annuity check is in the bank.

View attachment 1578503
Hi BobbyB, Only you can decide what razor to settle on given YMMV that means any of us can only guess what will be best for you. I own the King C. Gillette and it is an excellent mild razor that can deliver great BBS shaves with some adjustment in technique and possibly an extra pass versus my other moderately aggressive razor. Your recent review of the King C. Gillette indicated the same noting that it provides excellent shaves with any blade and a rating 4.5/5 stars. If that is not the case with the WCS you may have the answer on what razor you should keep.

From other posts it seems the WCS razor is moderately aggressive so you may want to base a good part of your decision on preferred level of aggressiveness.

Respectfully declining this generous PIF as I am happy with my two razors and other equipment/software. Do look forward to seeing what you decide to keep.

Reactions: Kix
Respectfully not in, but I'm not a fan of the KCG razor, particularly its slippery handle. Good luck to you. I love the variety so I'm far from minimalist.

Congrats for doing what many of us should do!

I would personally go with the KCG razor as it is based on a classic and is well made.

No need to enter me into the contest as I have more than enough shaving gear.

Good luck!

I'd go for the WCS 84s razor. It has one of my favorite handle shapes, and being shorter than the KCG, it's a bit more maneuverable in tight spaces, not to mention more grippable. The handle on the KCG is one of the worst I've ever seen, being designed by a non-shaver who's more interested in looks than in function.

The head on the 84S appears to be a copy of the Muhle R89 head, thus slightly more efficient than the KCG. Both are zamak heads and therefore vulnerable. The KCG is immediately available at brick and mortar stores, but you have to buy the whole razor. The WCS head can be replaced more cheaply in a couple of days. Either handle can mate with any number of replacement heads if you don't require an exact match.

I think you'd be happy with either, but that would be my choice.

If you like them both equally, I’d say flip a coin! 😃🤙

I’ve had the WCS Handle so I’m partial to that one! So whichever head shaves better for you I’d say keep the 84S handle for that one! 🤙

Respectfully not in, great PIF though!!

I say KCG. Parts are available (top, bottom or both) as it the Muhle head. I like the heavy long handle. Can add a silicon pencil grip if you want a better grip especial for the slippery part. It feels solid and substantial. World wide distribution. I would keep the handle on the WCS and also use it on the KCG head as handles don’t take up much space. I have not gotten a good vibe about the WCS shipping for the East Coast. WCS has always done right by me; it does not feel right. I would prefer that Gillette pull out of St. Petersberg and return union jobs to South Boston. You already own it so you are not supporting Gillette by purchasing new. As far as I know KCG was made in Germany and China.

Happy retirement!

Top Bottom