What's new

Delta Echo Alternative

If you’ve ever wanted a razor by Delta Echo there is an alternative now that Delta Echo is out of business. I recently found Sherlock Razor Co. and they do a beautiful job if you want a coating on one of your vintage razors. They actually take the razor apart to clean and make and repairs before they coat it. BTW I am not affiliated in anyway with them I just love their work. Here is the website for anyone interested.

I’m more of a traditional guy but I do have a nice Gillette long comb new completed by Delta Echo. Always nice to hear of a good company out there as a replacement!

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I don't know anything about this company or their work, but this multi color paint jobs look absolutely horrific. Reminds me of when someone paints their old junk car with different color house paints with a brush. I've seen some beautiful powder coating, but in my opinion I wouldn't want one of those razors for free. Please let me apologize in advance to anyone that owns one, or is planning on getting one. Sorry...

I liked the color schemes of delta echo these not so much but that is taste related still could be a good service if needed (and I like the more matte colors more as the bling).

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I don't know anything about this company or their work, but this multi color paint jobs look absolutely horrific. Reminds me of when someone paints their old junk car with different color house paints with a brush. I've seen some beautiful powder coating, but in my opinion I wouldn't want one of those razors for free. Please let me apologize in advance to anyone that owns one, or is planning on getting one. Sorry...
I agree to a point. I find them vulgar in the extreme but that is a matter of personal taste. To me, however well it is done, it is permanently disfiguring a razor for future generations of collectors who may find them in a thrift shop in years to come. Most of use here prefer to find razors in untouched condition. But if a razor is common and user grade then to me there is no problem with such paint jobs, ultimately it can extend the useful life of an otherwise unloved and unused razor. To each his own. 👍

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I agree to a point. I find them vulgar in the extreme but that is a matter of personal taste. To me, however well it is done, it is permanently disfiguring a razor for future generations of collectors who may find them in a thrift shop in years to come. Most of use here prefer to find razors in untouched condition. But if a razor is common and user grade then to me there is no problem with such paint jobs, ultimately it can extend the useful life of an otherwise unloved and unused razor. To each his own. 👍
I agree. I'm not against customization, but sometimes it just will cheapen both the look and value. If people want that type of razor it's their choice and businesses, I just wouldn't. Just like classic cars, the more original the more valuable.

OTOH
It will make original razors more rare. Which is not a bad thing if you collect for collecting or investing.
and if it is an heirloom they better inherit your Uh superb taste.
Just have fun

I agree. I'm not against customization, but sometimes it just will cheapen both the look and value. If people want that type of razor it's their choice and businesses, I just wouldn't. Just like classic cars, the more original the more valuable.

I think it all depends upon the condition of the original razor. It could salvage a throw away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Thanks for sharing this Lewis! I have a couple of old flair tips I'd like to have painted but wasnt sure where I could send them after delta echo seemingly shut down. You other, clearly highly "sophisticated" shavemen, need to relax and lighten up. As if you havent ever modified something beyond its original design simply for the sake of "you just like it better that way". I literally laughed out loud when one of you used the term "vulgar in extreme" when referring to a paint job on a razor. Hahaha, too funny.
Interesting, you joined 16 minutes ago, and then your first post on B&B is to come to this thread to tell everyone that doesn't like these razors that we "need to relax and lighten up." Again, very interesting and funny.

Just like classic cars, the more original the more valuable.

True. What's sad is watching folks fork over way more than they should for 'restored'. If it isn't 'restored' with NOS it's not original, not the same thing. Is a recoated razor the same as original? No. Is a Shelby with a transplanted motor and tranny original? No.

I figured I’d bring it up because I’ve seen people on here mention Delta Echo.

Thank you for doing that.

From my reading the coatings mentioned here are no different than Delta Echo or North Shore Cerakote and knock offs. It appears the color scheme is up to the client, so yeah...

I cannot find a reference to "sand blasting" but If I sent a razor to them to recoat I would be highly suspicious of any work lasting more than a few weeks if they didn't media blast and/or tumble clean parts and finally sonic or chemically clean as well. That should clean the original texture and make it 'pop' for the coating and adhere.

Does one need approval from the architectural committee to recoat this specimen?

Fat Handle Tech resized.JPG

Last edited:
I found Sherlock a little while back and posted about them because more options are always a good thing. I agree with the comments here that the color schemes on the gallery aren’t my cup of tea but those appear to be customer requests. I’m not a fan of their superhero thing either but you fill out a form and they appear to coat in any color available you wish. I can’t really evaluate since I have not sent any work their way.

North Shore has been around for a while and appears to do excellent work. I base this off of countless reviews I’ve read and their gallery. I also have not sent any work their way but that may change in the future.

Jay Mabe/Delta Echo previously worked on guns and this is why I felt comfortable with him refinishing 2 razors for me, including a collaboration with Razorplate.com. In my line of work, I’m very familiar with that type of person and their attention to detail. If they can work on guns, razors aren’t a big thing in the least. Jay took forever but the wait was worth it. He took a horribly replated Fatboy and half of a second one and made them look incredible. Razorplate.com of course did amazing work on the other half. Jay also put them both together and they are perfect, they are also for my boys.

I see both sides of whether or not to commit to a Gun Kote color finish. It was easy for me because the Fatboys I had done were a thick replate horror show. I also understand why someone would take a user grade and have it done. The decision is a big one because Gun Kote is close to impossible to remove without causing a lot of damage. Gun Kote is also an amazingly durable finish. I posted videos about Gun Kote with firearms a while back. I can’t ever see how shaving could hurt that finish, even daily for a century or more. You have to have someone do the work who both understands prep and avoids the temptation to go too thick. A thick coat will result in a chip after a drop, but a properly applied finish would last more than a lifetime with plenty of drops.

As an FYI, gun shops also use cerakoat, but not because it is better. They use it because more color variations are available. Gun Kote has been catching up though. I would only go with Gun Kote, but that is only because I’ve seen how durable it is during abuse on the range.

To coat a Double Ring would be folly, but if someone wants to coat a Tech, New or any other millions-made; why not?

AA

I like the Gun Kote finish a lot, but don’t think I could ever have that done to a Double Ring. I also wouldn’t have a double Ring replated.

I’d hate to be the guy that posted their Double Ring refinished in the Sherlock Captain America scheme.

North Shore Razors in Hawaii is another good and actively in business alternative to Delta Echo. I sent a request recently to do a group of flare tip Super Speeds and Scott was quick to reply and review the photos I sent and let me know what he could and couldn't do... A blue tip SS had to much damge from corrosion on the aluminum handle the standard SS and red tip SS we're good to go.. and his price is reasonable.

Another option is replating from Back Roads Gold... They have an Etsy shop and definitely the best prices for precious metals... And several hundred 5 star reviews. They are also the provider that Above the Tie uses for their vintage pieces.

Good luck.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I think there is a black and copper double ring on north shore's website. And a streamline, but I do like the streamline.

I just checked but don’t see a Double Ring there, some later Old Types are shown.

I’d have to look at other galleries but don’t ever remember seeing one refinished in either a Gun Kote or Cerakote.

Top Bottom