What's new

Delivery Service

Gents, today is an admininstrative day for me. I am working out of my Home Office. My office faces out to my front yard. I was on the telephone talking to a client and noticed a DHL van backing up into my driveway. I was expecting a delivery today for an order I placed last week.

I expected the driver to get off and deliver the box to my door just like FedEx and UPS. I was astonished to see the passenger door open and out got out a tall dude and he threw my box about 10 feet away to my door. Unfortunately, I was in the middle of a conversation with a client and did not get a chance to chase the DHL van.

I did email the company and informed them of my delivery. My delivery included glass items. Fortunately, the company packed the items securely and nothing was broken.

I guess it's pride in your work that makes people do the things they do. Ahh.... :mad:

Austin said:
Gents, today is an admininstrative day for me. I am working out of my Home Office. My office faces out to my front yard. I was on the telephone talking to a client and noticed a DHL van backing up into my driveway. I was expecting a delivery today for an order I placed last week.

I expected the driver to get off and deliver the box to my door just like FedEx and UPS. I was astonished to see the passenger door open and out got out a tall dude and he threw my box about 10 feet away to my door. Unfortunately, I was in the middle of a conversation with a client and did not get a chance to chase the DHL van.

I did email the company and informed them of my delivery. My delivery included glass items. Fortunately, the company packed the items securely and nothing was broken.

I guess it's pride in your work that makes people do the things they do. Ahh.... :mad:

Wow! That is bad. What is that saying about integrity... doing the right thing even when no one is looking (I think that's how it goes).

Yep, my firm has used both DHL and UPS for overnights, etc. Sure, DHL is somewhat cheaper, but they also lose packages often, deliver late, and mishandle packages. In the end, the minor cost savings isn't worth it. In fact, UPS is cheaper on the whole because their logistics system is very sophisticated and searches for ways to get you the lowest rates.

I used DHL to send out my iBook when it needed to be repaired. What did DHL do? They confused my return address with the address for Apple Computers (how that happened, I'll never know), and sent my computer back to me, still broken. After calling up DHL, I basically got a long-winded way of saying "Hey, what can I tell ya?" I'll never deal with DHL again.

Shane

I'm sorry to say but this type of thing has become too common nowadays. Very few people set standards for themselves and actually try to live up to them. This laziness of people and a poor work ethic is really starting to hurt our society. You see this **** everywhere.

Have any of you seen how packages are handled in a UPS sorting facility? I went on a "tour" to see how it worked (I almost got a job there). It's amazing anything makes it anywhere in one piece! They toss packages around like it's garbage. Always assume the worst when it comes to shipping.

It's one thing to see what goes on "behind closed doors" and quite another to see an idiot flinging a package at your house in broad daylight.

I'll be curious to hear how they respond to your complaint, Andrew.

Not to mention that DHL has one of the ugliest logos in business. The combo of mustard yellow and ketchup red can ONLY be used by hot dog stands. DHL is a crime against quality graphic design -- a crime I shan't abide!

tam.audio said:
Have any of you seen how packages are handled in a UPS sorting facility? I went on a "tour" to see how it worked (I almost got a job there). It's amazing anything makes it anywhere in one piece! They toss packages around like it's garbage. Always assume the worst when it comes to shipping.

I actually went on a similar tour last year at this time. I was looking for a part time job since I was going back to school and saw the whole process in action. It is amazing that everything is handled by conveyors and by hand, no forklifts. The hours of the job didn't work with my class schedule but it was kind of cool to get the behind the scenes view of things.

I've had no problems with FedEx Express, the Express division only. I have a friend that works for them. The Ground/Home delivery units aren't run by the company directly. Nothing but problems with these monkey's. Twice I've had orders arrive days to weeks late, EMPTY!

UPS makes an effort to come to the house. But the driver seems to like driving a couple of circles in the driveway --without stopping-- and leaving, then mark it as attempted delivery on the tracking. This is what keeps me from buying from QED since they ship UPS. I've been doing business with classicshaving.com since they ship to me via USPS Priority Mail.

DHL, same story as the OP, they like to toss things.

I'm not sure who is worse, delivery companies or baggage handles at airports. The seem to take a special pride in damaging people's property. "Fragile" stickers mean throw it harder to these people!

I've went back to plain ol' USPS for shipping whenever possible. I've had terrible experiences with both UPS and DHL, and FedEx can't seem to figure out where I live. The post office may be slow, but at least in their sluggishness they haven't abused my parcels too much. :frown:

Sure, a package is a small thing in the big picture of things, but it still matters. Roughrider is right: this disregard for quality, precision and honor is killing modern society.

Fortunately I have never had any problems with mail deliveries other than one package FedEX lost. A few years ago when I worked in a cigar shop we had UPS destroy a few nice items. I almost cried when the called me and told me they accidentally stuck a forklift through a $3000 limited edition Prometheus humidor :frown:

I am not sure whether the fault lies with the various delivery services or with customs, but the majority of the items that I ordered before I went on holiday have still not turned up. I know that I have only been back for less than a week, but the orders were placed upto two weeks before I went away, so there is definitely something wrong somewhere.

AJS said:
I am not sure whether the fault lies with the various delivery services or with customs, but the majority of the items that I ordered before I went on holiday have still not turned up. I know that I have only been back for less than a week, but the orders were placed upto two weeks before I went away, so there is definitely something wrong somewhere.

I think it's usually customs that hold up our packages from the US. I spoke to someone at Classic Shaving about it and they said anything between 1 and 5 weeks. That's certainly the case with USPS. UPS could be and probably is different as they don't use the PO to deliver the goods on the UK side.

The best experience I've have with ordering from the US was an Ebay item which I ordered on a Sunday, UPS were knocking on my door on Wednesday morning.

USPS Priority Mail is the most reliable thing going. I have had major problems with all the other guys out there.

Top Bottom