What's new

Dehydrators

We use an older Excalibur dehydrator, a fine machine. For nuts, I use a whirly-pop, or stove top crank popper. Toasts them very nicely. Almonds, pecans, hickory, walnuts etc.. I have not had raw peanuts to try. I put a tad bit of oil in the bottom, then either a sweet or savory seasoning. For sweet we use brown sugar. Savory, I usually use a ranch seasoning or seasoned salt, both from Lawry’s. Medium heat and constant cranking. I have 2 stovetop poppers, neither for popcorn:) The other I roast coffee.

I’ve two units going again with fruit. Apples, grapefruit, oranges, and pears. Some were presoaked in lemon juice, some in freshly made juice from various citrus, carrot, ginger, tumuric, and apple. The citrus keeps them from oxidizing and of course imparts some desirable tang to stimulate more saliva production when eating it.

19658522-5AA1-4E9D-ADA5-FFD2D9F664DC.jpeg
B0F73108-A700-48E6-9C93-1A8F0B389EAB.jpeg

We use an older Excalibur dehydrator, a fine machine. For nuts, I use a whirly-pop, or stove top crank popper. Toasts them very nicely. Almonds, pecans, hickory, walnuts etc.. I have not had raw peanuts to try. I put a tad bit of oil in the bottom, then either a sweet or savory seasoning. For sweet we use brown sugar. Savory, I usually use a ranch seasoning or seasoned salt, both from Lawry’s. Medium heat and constant cranking. I have 2 stovetop poppers, neither for popcorn:) The other I roast coffee.

Making candied nuts, I like and would be glad to do more of. I will look into getting one of those devices, thanks for the mention.

How about A.B.s dryer..

Is that a brand you are asking about? I am not familiar with it. Do you have a link?

This may be my next dehydrator, to replace my 30 year old American Harvest, which is still operable but the trays and base drip pan are cracking apart.
They are a great brand. I have their compact countertop juicer. The dehydrater has a filter to clean the incoming air flow.
Paulasbread.com - L'Equip FilterPro Food Dehydrator - the Highest Quality Kitchen Machines by Bosch, L'Equip, and More for Nutritious and Economical Cooking

Well I've been away for a while but slowly getting back in. I have a Presto dehydrator like this one. Fixed temp, no timer. I've been dehydrating eggs recently because I can often get them very cheap or free. I do have 8 trays and 8 fine mesh screens but only 4 fruit leather trays to do eggs on. Works OK, eggs take a long time regardless of dehydrator brand or style.

proxy.php

Bison jerky....maple/sassafras with parsley, onion, hemp hearts.

B176A2B6-AF63-4A7B-9381-CCD615E03AB8.jpeg E22BF754-2321-4310-B173-F0B26CE9CCCC.jpeg
4CCFF7E7-0F28-4312-A719-083BE3B0EFFB.jpeg

And mixed up the lamb/bison salmon/berry/beet pemmican that parts were dried for some time back.

07E327F7-3A8E-4C87-A4FD-1C3552D7F4A8.jpeg 9C521E8E-C9EB-4C35-8237-2A25B7E45FDB.jpeg 4858FCB6-B5C2-4162-A8EE-991F16402356.jpeg
8B78222B-938E-48DF-AFE0-041295B87C44.jpeg

Honestly, I've only tried dehydration in the oven, which takes extra care and time not to over do my fruits. But i wish to ind energy saving dehydrator to lower my bills, if possible. any suggestions?

Top Bottom