What's new

DeFunk an Ever Ready Badger-Lon

I picked up a badger-lon (badger and nylon mix) in a box of stuff from the bay.

Mine doesn't shed, and it lathers reasonably well. But it has a funk smell that I've tried to get rid of. So far it's tamed down, but not gone. I have used Dawn. Lathered the brush and left it overnight several times. Basically following the suggestions in the new brush suggestions.

Wondering if rubbing alcohol would hurt it. What's the active ingredient in Barbacide? Reckon it's worth getting some? I have trouble imagining that anything is growing in it after years of disuse, and after several nights of soaping it up.

Nothing defunked my brushes faster than a teaspoon of vinegar in a cup of reasonably hot water. Leave the brush (the knot) in that solution for an hour, rinse well, do the same but use a bit soap instead of the vinegar, then rinse again. You will find the remaining funk (if any) much less disturbing.

Anytime I've delt with brush funk I've always used tea tree oil shampoo followed by tea tree oil conditioner. I give it a couple of shampoo's followed by the conditioner. After a good rinse I let it air dry overnight. Doing this has always taken care of any funk. At least it always has for me, give it a try.

What about Bicarbonate of Soda? Would that work?... Small cup of warm water with a couple of spoonfuls of bicarb dissolved into it.

Top Bottom