What's new

? Definitive ? way to sharpen a knife

Like razors, many ways to get there.
I freehand the same way but the applied pressure is on the push stroke not the pull.
Stropping if need be is on the pull stroke obviously.

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Ok, that was helpful, thanks!

Swear I have an ancient curse on me, never to sharpen a blade properly. When I do, it's an accident!

The few that I can, such as KaBars, I cling to. Unfortunately I am a big fan/user of Nepalese khukuri, and with their curves, are tricky to do well. Will try water-soak of a stone, as this chef does, and see.

AA

I knew a woman in her eighties who went through all of her life with two knives. One was a 5 inch boner knife and the other was a 10 inch slicer. Both were high carbon steel. She sharpened them on a stepping stone outside her back door.

It takes experience and time to sharpen a knife perfectly. Basically they only give you recommendations on what to do and how to do it. I didn't have to spoil 1 knife to understand how to do it properly and efficiently.

An inside curved or serrated edge is always a 😭 to sharpen. Usually does not work nicely on those handy kitchen sharpers. You end up with some freehand work

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have never been lucky sharpening knives. I just cannot seem to get it. Lucky I don't use Straight Razors.

As long as you are not disabled, 'you can do it'. If you cannot free hand sharpen a knife, you can use a jig that clamps the blade OR a pair of cross sticks - something will work for you. I am 99 percent sure of this statement.

As long as you are not disabled, 'you can do it'. If you cannot free hand sharpen a knife, you can use a jig that clamps the blade OR a pair of cross sticks - something will work for you. I am 99 percent sure of this statement.
If you add a worksharp, or belt sander or paper wheel I would say 100%.

Top Bottom