What's new

Defensive Weapons

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The gun laws here in Maryland are ...interesting. Yes, there's my Stoeger Wildfowler o/u and 870, 1911 clone, and snubnose 32 for varying degrees of S hitting TF. And neither me nor Mrs. Rookie are afraid of using them. But with various children sleeping in various rooms, overpenetration is something in the back of my mind.

I've always been in the camp of nothing quite like the sound of a shotty being pumped to say you're in the wrong place. And my little snubnose is so easy to keep on target as I **** and aim again.

Honestly, what's under my bed and pillow for things that have gone bump in the night in the past has been a Louisville Slugger, masonry hammer (picture a hammer on one side and hatchet on the other), and machete hanging upside down by my bedroom door.

Where I live now, the threats have changed. And that lead me from the first paragraph to the third. The more I think about it, right now I think the most likely threat to myself and family in my neighborhood would be a rabid raccoon, fox, skunk, or opposum. Hmm, I should probably be in the market for a good .22 rifle with 8x scope.

One more thought bouncing around my head to share with the group. Both in the military and everyday life in Baltimore, Maryland, I've had those "bumps in the night". I've had to "take care of business". Not many times (thank whichever diety is appropriate), and each time was to protect life (either mine, my family's, or comrades in arms). Let me tell you, it's something to live with. I can't say I regret doing it, but many days still years (in some cases a decade or more), I regret that I had to. For me, anyways. So as we thump our chests and possibly fantasize about it, please don't forget what exactly it is we're talking about. Ok, I'll stop being a downer now.

Good post @RookieGuy and thank you for your service. I have been a part of this forum for a decade.

Never once, have I witnessed a member of it, “thump their chest” or “fantasize” about the possibilities of having to defend themselves or someone they love.

The fact is, the exact opposite of your suggestion is truer. Most here, at one time or another have probably stated, “Hope I never have too.”

If you have hung out here long enough, you’d see it too. I would still suggest to most here that own a firearm and who go to investigate that “bump in the night”, to take said firearm and not a baseball bat from under the bed.

While we should always “hope for the best”, we should always be “prepared for the worst.” And a bump in the middle of the night qualifies for said wisdom.

Don’t know about you sir, but having experienced the worst, gives me no desire to investigate, armed with the least.

Last edited:
Where I live now, the threats have changed. And that lead me from the first paragraph to the third. The more I think about it, right now I think the most likely threat to myself and family in my neighborhood would be a rabid raccoon, fox, skunk, or opposum. Hmm, I should probably be in the market for a good .22 rifle with 8x scope.

I don’t like collecting guns really, so when I started researching what I wanted out of a rimfire, I ended up with a CZ .17HMR with a 3-18x scope. The thing is freaking awesome and just what I needed out in North Western Kansas. The 17 does not ricochet as a rule. Rather it implodes. Which is exactly what I wanted being the bullet travels quite some distance - which is something you need out there.

But I’ll say this, the gun isn’t fast. Moreover, it’s heavy. It’s a heavy beautiful tack-driver! Best shot off of a bench.

So when I moved to Eastern KS where there’s trees and hills (KS is the 7th flattest state guys), my lovely CZ kind of got burdensome. I needed something quicker. Lighter. No one makes a 16” .17 which is really too bad, so I started looking at .22’s.

I ended up with a Henry in .22lr with a 16” barrel on it. I put a red dot on that bad boy and went out to practice. If you can see it, you can hit it! This thing is crazy. I absolutely love the thing. It’s light, fast, and accurate too! I do not need a bench. This is a point and shoot affair.

Now I haven’t shot it over 100 yet, but I can’t see a squirrel out that far anyway. My point is, that little Henry is probably the most practical thing I’ve got. I absolutely love the thing. This stupid little thing that was so inexpensive makes those, “if you could only have one” threads incredibly frustrating considering some of my other guns lol.

An 8x scope is a lovely thing, but do you need it On a .22? I mean of course you do if you want it, but try that red dot. Light, fast and functional.

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The gun laws here in Maryland are ...interesting. Yes, there's my Stoeger Wildfowler o/u and 870, 1911 clone, and snubnose 32 for varying degrees of S hitting TF. And neither me nor Mrs. Rookie are afraid of using them. But with various children sleeping in various rooms, overpenetration is something in the back of my mind.

I've always been in the camp of nothing quite like the sound of a shotty being pumped to say you're in the wrong place. And my little snubnose is so easy to keep on target as I **** and aim again.

Honestly, what's under my bed and pillow for things that have gone bump in the night in the past has been a Louisville Slugger, masonry hammer (picture a hammer on one side and hatchet on the other), and machete hanging upside down by my bedroom door.

One more thought bouncing around my head to share with the group. Both in the military and everyday life in Baltimore, Maryland, I've had those "bumps in the night". I've had to "take care of business". Not many times (thank whichever diety is appropriate), and each time was to protect life (either mine, my family's, or comrades in arms). Let me tell you, it's something to live with. I can't say I regret doing it, but many days still years (in some cases a decade or more), I regret that I had to. For me, anyways. So as we thump our chests and possibly fantasize about it, please don't forget what exactly it is we're talking about. Ok, I'll stop being a downer now.
I'm an old Balmer Boy and grew up in the city; but not a city you might recognize.

My dad's office was just off Mount Vernon Place and as a kid, pre-teen kid, I often went to the office with him during the summer. Well being a kid in an old fashioned family insurance office surrounded by parents and grand parents and aunts was not the most exciting thing in the world but the world was right outside. From the time I was nine or ten I'd head out to explore the statues in the park or the library in the Conservatory or down the hill to the Enoch Pratt or Walter's. Often then it was on down the hill to the Waterfront and even to McCormick's to see how they prepare spices or blend teas.

But it was a town where no one would ever touch a kid, where the normal reaction whether it was from a docent at the Walters or the Chinaman who ran the little shop down by the waterfront selling silks and fans and incense was to answer questions and teach all they knew and open windows into new ideas and fill me up with everything that would get spilled out that night at dinner. Sometimes dad would take me when he went around to clients and I remember when he took me to a jeweler the old man put me on a stool at the counter and gave me a mat and a bag full of gems, yellows and blues and reds and greens and clear and faceted and smooth and stony and then after he finished talking with dad told me all about each one and where it came from and what to cured.

Much later when I was an optician I lived on Charles just north of Mt Vernon Place and still I never felt threatened even when walking the street late at night. Sure there were bums but they were also amazing. There were in invalids on their rollers to sell pencils outside the banks and Abraham who stood at the door of the little breakfast shop where the politicians gathered each morning and would open the door for each while listing their most recent transgressions. There was Geech who had but one leg and played the violin and helped little ladies cross the street. There was the tout that would handicap any race for you and also cut out a silhouette of you with little school scissors but behind his back.

Alas it seems that is now long gone but oh it was glorious and exciting when it was.

You're right. That's a town I never knew.

@Earcutter I'm thinking the scope on the .22 because it would be used for dispatching rabid critters. The neighborhood is absolutely crawling with children, pets, cars, houses, pedestrians, etc. If I'm trying to drop a rabid raccoon, I want to pop that sucker right in the head with one shot and not hit anything else. I remember a good bolt action .22lr is tack driver. Hyper accuracy and precision is worth a little weight and overkill.

Last edited:
I bought a Ruger mini-14 in 1980. For decades I considered selling it as I thought I'd never have a realistic use for a gun like that. Times change, sadly.
I know exactly how you feel. It took me forever to buy an AR. Now with mine back at the shop, I feel naked without it.

UPDATE:

I got a call from Springfield today. They’re going to be shipping me my AR back either today, or Monday! Woot!! That’s fast! Two weeks.

OkieStubble

It’s odd, she said they did some polishing, replaced the bolt and the trigger group. I scratched my head a bit, but she went on to say they tested it and it was running. That’s all I needed to hear. But still...

Yeah, I can see replacing either or, but both? That just makes me more curious. I’m sure they didn’t send any written reason back with your rifle. Manufacturers seem like they don’t want you to know why they did what they did.

It’s just good for you to know, they did fix it, I guess?

Yeah, I can see replacing either or, but both? That just makes me more curious. I’m sure they didn’t send any written reason back with your rifle. Manufacturers seem like they don’t want you to know why they did what they did.

It’s just good for you to know, they did fix it, I guess?
I guess. I don’t know. I haven’t ever gotten a fixed gun back. I sent Beretta a bad gun and got a brand new one. I sent a Bersa back, got a new one. It broke, so I sent it back too, they replaced it as well. I sold it lol.

When I get the Springfield back, I’ll let you know what verbiage comes with it. But so far I have to admit their customer service is outstanding... in spite of the oddness.

OkieStubble

I guess. I don’t know. I haven’t ever gotten a fixed gun back. I sent Beretta a bad gun and got a brand new one. I sent a Bersa back, got a new one. It broke, so I sent it back too, they replaced it as well. I sold it lol.

When I get the Springfield back, I’ll let you know what verbiage comes with it. But so far I have to admit their customer service is outstanding... in spite of the oddness.

Better be good service. They have to protect the reputation of that Springfield name! :)

Better be good service. They have to protect the reputation of that Springfield name! :)
I don’t know what happened, but I’m guessing they’ve done something stupid here lately. All I know is I t’s not a S&W safety. I’ll have to google it.

OkieStubble

"As in the days of Noah.... And Lot....." I'm thinking things could keep getting worser, lol!

I'll just take it as it comes. He is still on His throne and still not asking for the advice I'm ALWAYS trying to give Him!

Heck, with my heart and lungs I'll probably be in Glory BEFORE any trumpet sounds!

As in the days of Noah & the ark... If you have to fight. Fight like you're the third monkey; and it's beginning to rain... ;)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
As in the days of Noah & the ark... If you have to fight. Fight like you're the third monkey; and it's beginning to rain... ;)
I hadn't heard that one, and I have heard just about everything my friend. Hope all is well with you and yours.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My grass all died.
I kinda wish mine would. I mowed today. But, here's some good news about this Covid thing: I have been forced to wear a mask in publik, so I decided to try wearing one today while riding around in circles. AWESOME! Absolutely no allergic problems, and normally I am short of breath, itching, you name it.

Thanks for listening, lol!

Top Bottom