What's new

Defensive Weapons

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Sometimes it’s just the decline of western civilization as we know it. You’ll probably have time to prep. Sometimes it’s an earthquake/tsunami/tornado in 20 minutes or less...

sometimes you simply will have to run what ya brung or can scrounge. you may not be anywhere near your cache when it happens.

Hey you, View attachment 1117655
Hey you, sass that hoopy KW Driver? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is!

Last edited:
Mine is a .357 Ruger GP 100 that lives on me or under my pillow.

If I have time to grab stuff in a SHTF scenario, I'd grab all my .22's and ammo. Rifles, revolvers. Even air rifles, and junk silver. And my nursing bag. Sutures.

And my Gillette Tech and some Silver Blue blades!
There you go, thats a nice piece. I have a 4” 7 shot taurus loaded with 38+.
I should of said my shtf was 22 since theres about 10k rounds but next highest is 7.62 39 at about 4k. I really need to pick up my game and get more ammo but current prices are pretty crazy.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
And there are SO MANY kool things you can do to those 10/22's as far as making them "pretty" lol!

I've got my old Marlin model 60? I think it's called, from when I was a lad, and to be honest, it's a lovely shooter, it just doesn't look "modern" lol! My buddy's 10/22 is the one you describe, and my wife really enjoyed it. He also bought one of those really nice .22's that Ruger put out, the American? Oh man. I'm gettin' old. I have to look at my Driver's License to remember my own name!

It's funny. As I remarked in the "Score" thread one of the takedown Ruger 10/22s recently followed me home. I've only been able to get it out to a range once so far and it sure is nice; but I still seem to shoot my old JC Higgins 42 (Marlin 80) more accurately. No doubt the 10/22 makes it easier to use up old ammo but there's just something about that old bolt action that has worked for me.

It's funny. As I remarked in the "Score" thread one of the takedown Ruger 10/22s recently followed me home. I've only been able to get it out to a range once so far and it sure is nice; but I still seem to shoot my old JC Higgins 42 (Marlin 80) more accurately. No doubt the 10/22 makes it easier to use up old ammo but there's just something about that old bolt action that has worked for me.
My dad has an old JC Higgins like yours. I have killed a hay wagon full of squirrels with that old rifle when I was younger. Great gun.

My meager arsenal is Henry Big Boy in .357 (holds more rounds than my revolver). Remington 870 with buckshot, 9mm pistol, .45 pistol (1911), .357 revolver, and a very accurate Henry .22. Everything is always loaded (unless I'm cleaning) and locked in the safe. The 870 holds 7 rounds and has a 7 round side saddle. It's not specifically a SHTF load out, but it will do in a pinch.

AR-18 - 5.56 NATO

1921/28 navy over stamp - 45 acp

1911 Colts - 45 acp

AR-7 - 22 cal

S would have to really HTF before these would ever see the light of day. If they ever did come out it would have to be the total breakdown of society. Collapse of police and military. No turning back. One way street.

I do not foresee this happening but I am prepared should the end of civilization come.

This in on my short list!

Sometimes it’s just the decline of western civilization as we know it. You’ll probably have time to prep. Sometimes it’s an earthquake/tsunami/tornado in 20 minutes or less...

sometimes you simply will have to run what ya brung or can scrounge. you may not be anywhere near your cache when it happens.

View attachment 1117655

This has my considering putting together an emergency bag to keep in each of my vehicles with things like first aid, energy bars, flashlight and the such. I'm always armed (1 pistol, 2 mags, and 3 knives) so the kit doesn't need to have a gun. I also don't like keeping a gun in a vehicle since if it's broken into then I just put another gun on the streets in the hands of a criminal.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
This has my considering putting together an emergency bag to keep in each of my vehicles with things like first aid, energy bars, flashlight and the such. I'm always armed (1 pistol, 2 mags, and 3 knives) so the kit doesn't need to have a gun. I also don't like keeping a gun in a vehicle since if it's broken into then I just put another gun on the streets in the hands of a criminal.

Other stuff I keep in the trunk of my car.

Small solar powered emergency weather radio:
LED lanterns:
A heavy duty Come-Along and tow strap:
Estwing Camping Hatchet:
Reflective blanket:
Fire starter:
Trauma Kit:
Reflective vest and triangles:
Road flares:
Small safe/lockbox in case I need to store a gun temporarily:
Three collapsible storage boxes:
Protective eye wear and ear protection:
Empty gas can:
Another clearly marked for water:

Recent addition has been several packages of disposable face masks and lots of alcohol prep pads kept in the glove box.

Things I don't keep in the car are stuff like energy bars, simply because the temps in my trunk, even when the car is kept in the garage are way too high.

1593183833623.png

I need one of these........
I used a HK MP5-40 on the Tac team, it was an awesome all around weapon for close quarters -100 yards. Had the SEAL selector switch semi-auto, double-tap, full-auto....

Other stuff I keep in the trunk of my car.

Small solar powered emergency weather radio:
LED lanterns:
A heavy duty Come-Along and tow strap:
Estwing Camping Hatchet:
Reflective blanket:
Fire starter:
Trauma Kit:
Reflective vest and triangles:
Road flares:
Small safe/lockbox in case I need to store a gun temporarily:
Three collapsible storage boxes:
Protective eye wear and ear protection:
Empty gas can:
Another clearly marked for water:

Recent addition has been several packages of disposable face masks and lots of alcohol prep pads kept in the glove box.

Things I don't keep in the car are stuff like energy bars, simply because the temps in my trunk, even when the car is kept in the garage are way too high.

Thanks for that list. There are some things on there that I hadn't thought about. I need to keep it compact. I drive a Nissan SUV that doesn't have a ton of space in the back.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Lol, I just hope if it gets crazy enough for me to worry about a bug out bag that I'm already out in the woods.

Which reminds me: I should be burying some provisions out there!

View attachment 1118059
I need one of these........
I used a HK MP5-40 on the Tac team, it was an awesome all around weapon for close quarters -100 yards. Had the SEAL selector switch semi-auto, double-tap, full-auto....

There was a limited run of navy models (single, full, 5 round burst) produced for the British SAS with fixed silencers (permanent, not removable). All you could hear was the sound of the brass hitting the ground. Sweet, well designed, and well made pistol.

I could not talk SWMBO into getting that one, though it did put a big smile on her face to fire it.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Thanks for that list. There are some things on there that I hadn't thought about. I need to keep it compact. I drive a Nissan SUV that doesn't have a ton of space in the back.
I have a Nissan Versa, not really a large car. I keep all that arranged in duffle bags by function. That still leaves about half of the trunk for general use and I use the three collapsible storage boxes to hold stuff like groceries as needed. They can be folded up to use as a base or opened to keep stuff from spilling over.

FarmerTan

There was a limited run of navy models (single, full, 5 round burst) produced for the British SAS with fixed silencers (permanent, not removable). All you could hear was the sound of the brass hitting the ground. Sweet, well designed, and well made pistol.

I could not talk SWMBO into getting that one, though it did put a big smile on her face to fire it.
We might have married sisters!

FarmerTan

Is yours an FFL holder also?

SWMBO says she loves gun shows as there is never a line at the lady's room.
No, mine is not, sadly. She would have WAY too much power over me if she was!

Could I be on B&B from jail?

She is way too good for me, and not above framing me to get rid of me!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The conversation of bug out vs. bug in, is as contentious as 9mm vs. .45. One side says it’s easier to defend a well fortified stronghold, while others say, it’s better to stay moving out in the woods and avoid all others.

I think the reality is neither if you are alone. If one clearly thinks about both subjectively, neither choice would be defensible alone even for the short term.

Pro’s & Cons of Bugging In:

1. You have the benefit of a permanent fortified structure and can be stocked up on supplies and ammo.

But sooner or later, someone or a group of someone’s are going to want what you have, and they are going to attempt to burn you out to get it.

Is the family with you have enough fighting age males in your group to form a defensive perimeter around your fortified structure 24/7? If not, then there is no such thing as a fortified structure that can’t be overcome. And it will only be a matter of when, not a matter of if.

And if you do have this big group of personnel to protect, how long will your supplies realistically hold out for that size of group?

Pro’s & Cons Of Bugging Out:

Yes Bugging out to the woods will get you away from the hordes of people momentarily, but the question is, do you think you will be the only person out in those woods or mountains?

What do you do with the hordes of ammo you collected all these years but now can’t haul it with you because you have to travel light?

Other people will find those back dirt roads also, and if you truly want to bug out where others wouldn’t go? Trust me, the terrain will dictate that you must travel light. So leave all the guns & ammo behind.

If you are all alone and are knowledgeable and skilled in the way of the bush you can avoid most. But you have a family with you? Wife? Daughters?

Just know, There will be bush people out there who are skilled in the way also, maybe even lived out there most of their lives. And sadly, some of those will be of the mindset those woods and mountains belong to them, so they are going to help themselves to whatever you have.

Frankly, they have been waiting for times like these, just in order to find people like you. They didn’t have to go find victims, victims bugged out to them.

Top Bottom