What's new

Defensive Weapons

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
You guys are of course right, everything is a SHTF weapon if S really HTF. No question. But I’ve always had a hard time justifying my AR, hence the terminology. I really need to shoot some prairie dogs with it so that it becomes my rodent gun. At the end of the day though, I really think it’s my most fun pistol! it’s a laser out to two hundred. The 10.3” AR is crazy versatile.

Man, Springfields warranty department is super slow though! I expected the shipping info yesterday. I’m still waiting. It’s crazy, now that I know I’m shipping it, I want it gone. Weird.

I can feel what you are saying. Sometimes, we need to have a justification for some of the “fun guns”. We own.” Sometimes we can justify a particular gun. My AR’s. Have been used on wild hog & deer on more than a few occasions. But my Savage 110 is definitely, my preferred hunting rifle.

I have way too many Glocks. But until Glock comes out with a multi caliber pistol, that’s just the way it’s gotta be. :)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I figure everyone needs a SHTF gun even if they don’t, and I’ve had my fair share. Depending on where I was living, they all took on different looks. Shotguns, handguns, levers... I eventually jumped on the AR bandwagon about 4 years ago and got a Colt AR. It was awesome, but it was “heavy” and cumbersome after I put a scope and who knows what else on it. I traded it in for a 10.5” AR pistol. A Springfield Armory (SA) Edge pistol.

View attachment 1117355

The 10.5” barrel loses quite a bit of velocity compared to a 16”. Enough that choosing the right ammo for it was something I gave a lot of thought to. Aside from that though, the gun is fantastic. It’s perfectly ballecend for me and extremely handy. The “perfect” defensive weapon for me.

Alas, I finally figured what ammo I wanted to use, got it all sighted in and then the gun stopped functioning properly. I could have messed with it some more, but it’s under warranty so I caved and wrote SA an email yesterday. Hopefully by tomorrow they’ll send me the shipping info.

I hate sending back guns when I don’t have anything comparable on hand. But you got to do what you got to do.

What’s your SHTF gun? How did it come to be? Ever have to send it back?

what ammo did you choose for that 10.5 inch barrel?

what ammo did you choose for that 10.5 inch barrel?
I’m afraid to say being it’s so expensive. Shopping when it’s on sale is the way to go. Assuming you can find it.

1593108241901.jpeg

It‘s crazy accurate - which is to be expected. More importantly, it performs at 10.3” speeds out to 200. Here’s how it behaves drop wise, out of my pistol.

8CC80D0A-49DF-40A2-9C79-25BD7392F212.jpeg

Out to about 225 it’s never more than 3” high or low. After that, you’d best start doping lol.

edit - yes the iron sights co-witness with the Vortex. Moreover, you can see through the Vortex no problem and even see a black dot when the batterries don’t work. I like it a lot. And I like the flashlight too. It’s not super powerful which is a good thing. Nice balance of flood and throw.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I guess if you have confidence that your wife can handle the situation better than you, then that might be the best option.
I know you are joking, kind of, but I agree. Just because a woman is a woman doesn't mean she can't be a better (insert word of your choice here, ha) than any man. I cannot think of any man I know that is cooler in a SHTF situation than my War Department. So I "pity the fool" that crosses her. She, like myself, can be diabolical. My love for her has just a little bit of fear mixed in. But she always works it out that when we go out to eat I'm facing the door, etc.... I've worked with nurses in tragic situations that really had it together, I've worked with those that didn't. Some were men, most were women. I think a cool head was equally distributed among the sexes.

When a code is called, there are nurses that grab the clipboard to record the actions, and there are those who start CPR. You just pray the right one grabs the clipboard first!

FarmerTan

My defensive is a .357
shtf is a wasr ak or 870
Mine is a .357 Ruger GP 100 that lives on me or under my pillow.

If I have time to grab stuff in a SHTF scenario, I'd grab all my .22's and ammo. Rifles, revolvers. Even air rifles, and junk silver. And my nursing bag. Sutures.

And my Gillette Tech and some Silver Blue blades!

I keep a Remington 870 for home intruders. We carry 9mm around town. Today, I bought my wife a Ruger 10/22LR. I figured the low recoil, easy action and quick mag discharge make it a better option for her in case I'm not home or SHTF and my son and I are busy unloading rounds into looters. I went ahead and ordered a tactical stock, a laser sight, and four 25 round mags so she can hide the little one in the closet and snipe from the upstairs bedroom window. I still want an AR and a Ruger 57. I won't feel complete without them. Then again, I could just buy a gatling gun. To be honest, if SHTF, I'll stop at nothing to protect my family. Sorry... I gave that too much thought :)

FarmerTan

I keep a Remington 870 for home intruders. We carry 9mm around town. Today, I bought my wife a Ruger 10/22LR. I figured the low recoil, easy action and quick mag discharge make it a better option for her in case I'm not home or SHTF and my son and I are busy unloading rounds into looters. I went ahead and ordered a tactical stock, a laser sight, and four 25 round mags so she can hide the little one in the closet and snipe from the upstairs bedroom window. I still want an AR and a Ruger 57. I won't feel complete without them. Then again, I could just buy a gatling gun. To be honest, if SHTF, I'll stop at nothing to protect my family. Sorry... I gave that too much thought :)
My wife is deadly with my buddy's 10/22. Might make her a great Christmas present. She might even let me touch it, lol!

The best gun for any woman is like the best gun for any man: the one they will shoot and enjoy and hopefully bring along with them.

Sounds like you've got a family worth protecting my friend!

My wife is deadly with my buddy's 10/22. Might make her a great Christmas present. She might even let me touch it, lol!

The best gun for any woman is like the best gun for any man: the one they will shoot and enjoy and hopefully bring along with them.

Sounds like you've got a family worth protecting my friend!
I paid $229 for it at Academy (I don't usually shop there. I like Gander). Black composite stock and black barrel. It was difficult to warm her up to the idea of having her own weapon, let alone using it. Then she finally fired the 9mm I got her :) now I can't buy enough ammo to keep her happy!

Also, here's to hoping she'll let you touch it ;) *raises glass*

FarmerTan

I paid $229 for it at Academy (I don't usually shop there. I like Gander). Black composite stock and black barrel. It was difficult to warm her up to the idea of having her own weapon, let alone using it. Then she finally fired the 9mm I got her :) now I can't buy enough ammo to keep her happy!

Also, here's to hoping she'll let you touch it ;) *raises glass*
I'm trying to get her to buy a small 9mm that's easy to rack. We ain't getting any younger, and her hands have some arthritis starting. I'm nearly ALWAYS carrying, unless I'm in the post office, of course. (Looks over shoulder, ha!) But it would be nice to know that she is armed (as my team member) when we are together, or especially when she is alone.

I'm trying to get her to buy a small 9mm that's easy to rack. We ain't getting any younger, and her hands have some arthritis starting. I'm nearly ALWAYS carrying, unless I'm in the post office, of course. (Looks over shoulder, ha!) But it would be nice to know that she is armed (as my team member) when we are together, or especially when she is alone.
What about a revolver? I guess that's a stark contrast.

FarmerTan

And there are SO MANY kool things you can do to those 10/22's as far as making them "pretty" lol!

I've got my old Marlin model 60? I think it's called, from when I was a lad, and to be honest, it's a lovely shooter, it just doesn't look "modern" lol! My buddy's 10/22 is the one you describe, and my wife really enjoyed it. He also bought one of those really nice .22's that Ruger put out, the American? Oh man. I'm gettin' old. I have to look at my Driver's License to remember my own name!

FarmerTan

What about a revolver? I guess that's a stark contrast.
Lol, my LCR in .22 is on her side of the bed. I borrowed it today to send a raccoon to wherever they go when they stop living on this planet.

She just wants a semiautomatic. Probably for help in keeping me in line.

There's a reason I call her the War Department!

Top Bottom