What's new

Defensive Rounds for Shotgun

It was actually a pretty good video.

Best gun channel out there IMO. I've owned guns for decades and thought I knew something about them.

And yet, I feel like a 10YO after nearly any of Paul Harrell's videos. His no nonsense delivery is great.

It was actually a pretty good video.

D&Q has been my home def load for decades. Read an article in one of the gun rags way back on military testing of shotgun rounds during the Vietnam War. Cannot recall the exact distance determined but under 7 or 10 meters, D&Q as effective as #00 buck! They settled on #4 buck because beyond close range it was order of magnitude more effective than any birdshot with higher hit probability than #00 buck.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Any shot shell load at 15-20 feet is going to be one large mass of lead. The dram eq is more important in that case as @BigFoot suggested. Personally, I dont think anything more than a light field load of 7 1/2 shot would be needed inside a house and in most cases that would be overkill. The penetration from slugs and even heavy shot just isnt needed inside a house at those ranges.

A specific loading order might have use though. 7 1/2 lead first, #4 buck second, 00 Buck third backed up by a couple slugs would cover almost any scenario.

The last few times I took a shotgun as a bear defense tool tent camping it was my 20" sxs 20g loaded with 3" #2. If the bears were behind windshields or car doors I'd rethink slugs lol.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Any shot shell load at 15-20 feet is going to be one large mass of lead. The dram eq is more important in that case as @BigFoot suggested. Personally, I dont think anything more than a light field load of 7 1/2 shot would be needed inside a house and in most cases that would be overkill. The penetration from slugs and even heavy shot just isnt needed inside a house at those ranges.

A specific loading order might have use though. 7 1/2 lead first, #4 buck second, 00 Buck third backed up by a couple slugs would cover almost any scenario.

The last few times I took a shotgun as a bear defense tool tent camping it was my 20" sxs 20g loaded with 3" #2. If the bears were behind windshields or car doors I'd rethink slugs lol.

Those bears are getting really good with duck and shoot drills.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Those bears are getting really good with duck and shoot drills.

20" barrels and no choke. They'd be getting some lead anyway. I sure wouldnt want to get hit with even a single #2 pellet at 20 feet lol.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Not to get off topic

But that's a nice house and property you got there. It's going to be a while before I retire. But when I do, I want to have a place like that.

Probably don't have to worry about over penatration.
He does have a beautiful place.

I'm working on mine, but yeah, out here in the sticks over penetration is only a problem for any critters stealing my cat's food off the porch!

The Ranger product line has two different loads. One is the segmenting slug only and they demonstrated good performance slowing down through standard construction walls. The second design has the segmenting slug and three 00 shot. While this seemed to pattern well, the buckshot continued down line and appeared to be reasonable cause for concern.

Pump: #4 buckshot in the tube with 2-3/4" slugs in the Side Saddle.
Semi-auto: full-power 00 buckshot in the tube with 3" slugs in the Side Saddle / sling.
"If'n I might have an auto": full-power 00 buckshot.

Been having a conversation over oniQuora. Some guy who claims extensive medical trauma says birdshot is no good. I said stand behind a common indoor wall, two layers of 1/2" drywall and let me shoot at him from about 20 feet with #8 shot. Might not be fatal, but i think he would be in a world of hurt. Thinking more, I would probably choose #2 or BB shot, maybe #4 buckshot, better chance of multiple hits if range extends to 20-40 yards.

jkinggrph

When you have a minute, pattern that #2 or BB shot at 20 yrds and see how much of a spread you have.
Then do the same with the #4 buck. Then do the same with some #00 Flite-Control.

I suspect you will find that the #2 and BB will be marginal at best at 20 and way too spread out at 40.
I suspect the same will be true for the 4 buck as well.

I suspect the #00 Flite-Control will hold 12-14 inches at 20 and still be on the paper at 40.

It has been my direct and vicarious experience that shotgun patterns are living breathing things and vary from gun to gun and load to load.

YMMV Greatly

jkinggrph

When you have a minute, pattern that #2 or BB shot at 20 yrds and see how much of a spread you have.
Then do the same with the #4 buck. Then do the same with some #00 Flite-Control.

I suspect you will find that the #2 and BB will be marginal at best at 20 and way too spread out at 40.
I suspect the same will be true for the 4 buck as well.

I suspect the #00 Flite-Control will hold 12-14 inches at 20 and still be on the paper at 40.

It has been my direct and vicarious experience that shotgun patterns are living breathing things and vary from gun to gun and load to load.

YMMV Greatly
You are not kidding there. My 12 is an old wingmaster that had a 30” full choke barrel. I did a lot of duck hunting back in the late 80’s so I had the barrel shortened to 28” which cut off the choke. A cylinder barrel shoots the old steel pretty well. It stays really tight. #2 steel in the cut barrel is about equivalent to the full choke #4 lead was previously. A little bigger, but close. I had so much steel shot on hand, I just started using #2 or 4 for darned near everything as the lead would spread too much at short range.

I need to get a new barrel for that gun with choke tubes...

Top Bottom