What's new

Deer rifle for a novice hunter

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
TN deer are not much bigger than German Shepherds. I would not go bigger than a .243. You can than use it for Yotes also. Just drop down to an .80gr vs the .100gr for deer.

Ok maybe they are a bit bigger than dogs. I spent my formative years in Iowa where a good doe can field dress over 200. Texas has some beautiful racks, but I still can't believe how small the bodies are.
When I lived in IL you could see hundreds of deer if you shined a spotlight at night in a freshly harvested corn field. And they got big. There’s less agriculture here in TN for them to munch on and beef up. I guess it’s a rare sight to see more than 4-8 together.

When I lived in IL you could see hundreds of deer if you shined a spotlight at night in a freshly harvested corn field. And they got big. There’s less agriculture here in TN for them to munch on and beef up. I guess it’s a rare sight to see more than 4-8 together.
Can you folks in TN still use dogs for deer hunting? Seems like I remember that being legal there.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
@Toothpick
Deer season is over in TN. Now is a great time to scout around pawn shops and gun stores. Lots of good deals can be found on rifles that their owners think they no longer need or want....deciding the hunting scene wasn’t for them.
Or sold their guns that "couldn't shoot straight" because it CAN'T be their fault!

Yeah, my favorite .22 rifle I got for a song at a pawn shop. The owner ain't making any money if it sits on display.

I have a Rem. Model 7 in 7-08, same thing but different. Handy little carbine! Nice tree stand gun.

7-08 is a also good choice. I like the .308 because it's good for a wide range of game. I've also hunted deer with a pistol in 7mm Waters. Some of the hunting areas in my state are pretty hiily and there is a distinct advantage to ground pounding with lighter gear.

I bought my rifle in the dark ages when gun stocks were made of wood. I read an article somewhere, long ago, where a guy glued metal files in the plastic stock (out by the barrel) to make it stiff. I put that idea in the file manager between my ears... for future reference.

A lot of people have modified the modern crop of hollow plastic stocks using a short section of rebar with an epoxy resin to hold it in. just need to remember that the epoxy creates a lot of heat that can cause stock damage.

I presume that cheap plastic stocks flex under the load of a shooting sling. Does the flex cause problems with point of impact? And does gluing metal improve the stock significantly?

I presume that cheap plastic stocks flex under the load of a shooting sling. Does the flex cause problems with point of impact? And does gluing metal improve the stock significantly?
gives weight to it, helps with recoil. however if you know how to shoot, its not a problem

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Mossberg Patriot in .243 runs around $500-$550...comes with a scope.

Mossberg Patriot.jpg

Never hunted in your state but if your deer are the same size as Oklahoma deer I suggest either a 25-06 or a 270.

I've taken a tone of Okie deer with these calibers and had no problems. With the 270, you can shoot out a little farthe and still have accuracy with some punch to kill your deer.

I do have several of each listed"

300 Weatherby
300 Win Mag
300 H&H

But I use these on Mule Deer, Elk, and Moose. I know lots of guys here in Oklahoma that use a 300 WinMag or a 7MM.

Just my 2 cents

JCarr

Mossberg Patriot comes in a number of calibers; .270, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm 08, .308, and others.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Mossberg Patriot in .243 runs around $500-$550...comes with a scope.

View attachment 1100499
The first image that pops into my head when someone mentions "Mossberg" is shotguns, but they recently put out a very well received 9mm handgun. Lol, when I say well received, at least the writer in "American Rifleman" really liked it.

Heck, with my brain it could have been a .45!

Don't get old folks, the only advantage I've found is that the young folks either respect your grey hairs, or at least they usually hold the door open for me!

JCarr

The first image that pops into my head when someone mentions "Mossberg" is shotguns, but they recently put out a very well received 9mm handgun. Lol, when I say well received, at least the writer in "American Rifleman" really liked it.

Heck, with my brain it could have been a .45!

Don't get old folks, the only advantage I've found is that the young folks either respect your grey hairs, or at least they usually hold the door open for me!

Yeah, Mossberg is definitely better known for their shotguns. But they have a decent line of centerfire bolt-action rifles that have gotten decent reviews. I really like the look of one of their bush rifles...bolt action...Scout rifle. It also comes with a scope for a little more money...no Leopold, but it's a variable power scope good for 100 yards.

MVP_SCOUT_7.62_RAILED.jpg

Might be a good idea to have a gunsmith make a hardwood stock sized for the child and treated with boiled linseed oil.

Top Bottom