What's new

Deer rifle for a novice hunter

Henry also makes a gate loading version
ED88FC9C-A499-438C-ADF3-D19B9BE99209.jpeg
86EB515F-10BA-410D-82E1-92073E69B82F.jpeg

I handled a couple early this year in a gun store. One of the larger rifle calibers, cannot remember what, and their .22. Actions were smooth, much smoother than my Marlin's, but considering how many Marlin rifles I have I'll just stick to them.

Other than "because that's the way they have been for decades", or "that's what I have always used", can anyone offer a rational explanation as to why a side gate loading rifle has any "real" advantage to a tube loader? So far I have heard that the advantages to a side loading gate are...they are easier to reload when chasing game (uh huh), they are safer because there is a chance you might shoot yourself in the hand if you put it in front of the muzzle when loading/reloading (good try but if you are that careless you don't need any kind of rifle), the magazine tube might bend (I suppose...trap door on the loading gate could break too perhaps)...maybe there are a few other reasons. Not saying either is really a better choice other than personal preference, but I just wonder what objectively makes one any better than the other??? I own or have owned both types. I see no definitive advantage to either other than the tubular magazine is easier and maybe a tad safer to unload.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Other than "because that's the way they have been for decades", or "that's what I have always used", can anyone offer a rational explanation as to why a side gate loading rifle has any "real" advantage to a tube loader? So far I have heard that the advantages to a side loading gate are...they are easier to reload when chasing game (uh huh), they are safer because there is a chance you might shoot yourself in the hand if you put it in front of the muzzle when loading/reloading (good try but if you are that careless you don't need any kind of rifle), the magazine tube might bend (I suppose...trap door on the loading gate could break too perhaps)...maybe there are a few other reasons. Not saying either is really a better choice other than personal preference, but I just wonder what objectively makes one any better than the other??? I own or have owned both types. I see no definitive advantage to either other than the tubular magazine is easier and maybe a tad safer to unload.
Well, the little kid in me says: if I'm riding with John Wayne on horse back, I think reloading at a gallop would look cooler with the side gate.

That's all I got.

I can see the advantage of a side loading gate in a situation like that. Plus Chuck Connors (The Rifleman) would not look anywhere as badass walking down the street reloading a tube magazine😉

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I can see the advantage of a side loading gate in a situation like that. Plus Chuck Connors (The Rifleman) would not look anywhere as badass walking down the street reloading a tube magazine😉
I don't know. Biting the end off a cartridge, dumping the powder down the barrel then putting a shot on the cartridge paper and ramming it down the barrel seems pretty badass to me.

Well, for deer, I'd probably go for either a bolt action .243 or a bolt action 30-06. The first is a relatively small round suitable for close to medium range (80-200+ yds if your aim is good) and due to it's relatively high speed (about 1000-1100m/s or 2400 mph) it usually delivers a clean shot with minimal tissue damage in my experience. The latter is a bigger round suitable for nearly anything. You can hunt deer, stag, big hogs and even small moose with it. It's also in the low to medium range sector (200+yds). Though a little slower than the .243 it still delivers a fairly clean shot. Ammo for both is widely available and fairly cheap. If you plan on staying with deer hunting, go with the.243, if you might expand to bigger game later on, go with the 30-06.

Those are my tips, hope they'll help;)

FarmerTan

Well, for deer, I'd probably go for either a bolt action .243 or a bolt action 30-06. The first is a relatively small round suitable for close to medium range (80-200+ yds if your aim is good) and due to it's relatively high speed (about 1000-1100m/s or 2400 mph) it usually delivers a clean shot with minimal tissue damage in my experience. The latter is a bigger round suitable for nearly anything. You can hunt deer, stag, big hogs and even small moose with it. It's also in the low to medium range sector (200+yds). Though a little slower than the .243 it still delivers a fairly clean shot. Ammo for both is widely available and fairly cheap. If you plan on staying with deer hunting, go with the.243, if you might expand to bigger game later on, go with the 30-06.

Those are my tips, hope they'll help;)
Welcome to B&B my new friend!
Good advice. And I couldn't argue, as your username is too cool!

As an aside, lever action rifles are available in .30-06, .243, .270, .300 Win Mag, .308, 7mm. So the arena is pretty wide open.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Don't forget all the neat lever action rifles available in pistol calibers as well.

My weak spot..... Someday I'll cave and get that .357....

I have a couple of .357 lever guns. They are my favorite steel plinking centerfire long guns. A .357 gains quite a bit of velocity out of a rifle over a handgun. I wouldn't hesitate to use one on deer out to 100 yards or so.

FarmerTan

I have a couple of .357 lever guns. They are my favorite steel plinking centerfire long guns. A .357 gains quite a bit of velocity out of a rifle over a handgun. I wouldn't hesitate to use one on deer out to 100 yards or so.
Dude. Seriously. You are going to have the War Department angry with me!

I used to hunt western Colorado. I had a real 03/A3 battle rifle in .30-06 and the weight of the thing soaked up a lot of the recoil, but an afternoon of shooting would leave me with a bruised shoulder (the rifle's steel butt plate had an interesting waffle pattern). That noted, I was very tempted to go the .45-70 route since we were typically in heavy cover just below treeline and I doubt I ever had more than 100yds to a clear view of the target. Later on we switched to .54 muzzle loaders so we could hunt in shirt sleeves. Not having hunted in your neck of the woods, I expect the oft mentioned marlin 30 30 and a 4x scope with rings that let you use the iron sights would be the ticket. Fit for purpose, relatively inexpensive to feed, ammo can be found almost anywhere, won't beat you up to practice with, will be more than enough for deer in your area.

Top Bottom