What's new

Deer rifle for a novice hunter

I have no aversion to using the same shotgun (one barrel) for deer and small game. I do not find the need for rifling or rifle sights for slugs.

I wish to clarify: I do not have to have the best hunting skills. In my case, the gun does not make much difference. I can fail to spot big game while carrying any kind gun.

I most often hunt small game with a 12 gauge shotgun. When deer hunting I usually park myself in dense thickets. In dense thickets, my scoped rifle offers no advantage. In dense thickets, I can get a shot off faster with my shotgun as compared to my scoped rifle. I attribute this to decades of shotgun hunting (and very little rifle hunting). I would be better off not using my rifle in dense thickets.

Why, I ask myself, do I ever carry a scoped rifle when I go deer hunting in dense thickets? Maybe because I bought the rifle, and I want to get some use out of it. But the way I hunt, it really is not the right tool for the job.

If a thief stole all of my hunting guns, my first purchase would be a 12 gauge shotgun. Jody

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Next week weather permitting!
None of my danged business, but are you at all near Cape Girardeau? Did I even spell that close? We've got friends there that I swear someday I'm gonna visit. My wife and son went there to witness the eclipse.

I just wanted to make sure you knew I was in your area so you could take appropriate safety precautions!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
None of my danged business, but are you at all near Cape Girardeau? Did I even spell that close? We've got friends there that I swear someday I'm gonna visit. My wife and son went there to witness the eclipse.

I just wanted to make sure you knew I was in your area so you could take appropriate safety precautions!
I'm about 300 miles away. Unless I'm hunting with a missile you should be safe. Should be

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’m leaning towards a 30-30 though. But I want to shoot first.

The 30-30 is an easy shooter. If you had the option, a .243 in a Rem 788 would be a great option. It was marketed for ranchers and they stopped making it because it was cutting into the sales of the 700. The 30-30 is good for shooting open sights. The Bolt action is a good platform for a scoped rifle.
This is a good read.

Do NOT be a novice marksman. Join a local gun club, get a marksman's data book, and get some training. Training should be followed up with regular practice.

Marksmanship is decisive. Developing marksmanship skill is far more important than rifle selection because a rifle will not shoot itself.

Do NOT be a novice marksman. Join a local gun club, get a marksman's data book, and get some training. Training should be followed up with regular practice.

Marksmanship is decisive. Developing marksmanship skill is far more important than rifle selection because a rifle will not shoot itself.

That is good advise.
In addition, gauge your limitations.
And learn to acquire a target quickly.

The latter is my problem with rifles. It takes me a number of times longer to get a shot off with a scoped rifle than it does for me to get a shot off with a shotgun.
Jody

Gonna echo what many have said; I've got rifles in most of the .30 cal variants including .300 win mag. Truth is I haven't chambered ANY of them in years, turns out I'd rather watch bird dogs work birds.
If I have to do it all again, I'd go with a .243 for deer, a 20 ga o/u with choke tubes for upland, and a 12 ga pump for waterfowl.
The .243 is just as accurate to 200 yards, and you're less likely to develop a flinch while getting used to it.

Anything you see ending in "H&H" or "Nitro Express" are pretty much just bragging rights in North America.

3A6A43E6-1BD8-43BA-B092-C00A50110887.jpeg

Perhaps the only sporting firearm 99.9% of American hunters will ever need for the vast majority of their hunting needs which require a center fire rifle.

Top Bottom