What's new

Deer rifle for a novice hunter

Dad always hunted with a Marlin 335 SC in 35 Remington hunting mostly in swampy areas and thickets in NE Louisiana, and when I finished high school he got me a Win 70 in 30-06. I was glad for that caliber because a guy who worked with him was in the National Guard and got me a lot of Lake City match ammo, so I really learned to shoot with that gun. Nowdays, what I would use would depend on the area, for open areas I would probably go with my old '06 or maybe the .375 H&H, shoots like a '06 but bigger, heavier bullet. Closer ranges and a bit of carrying I would probably go with my little 6.5 Grendle CZ, lightweight, accurate and very mild recoil. My only 6.5x55's are Swedish military Mausers, one a short rifle and it's ok. Closer ranges a Swedish Husqvarna sporter in 9.3x57, or even my little Ruger #1 7x57. Real close brush hunting, dads old 35 Rem, or a Marlin lever in 45-70 Got a few others like a Win 95 in 405 Win, and a Ruger #1 .458 Win Mag, but they are more range toys.

Everything mentioned is walnut and blued steel, I just don't want any plastic or stainless, guess I am old fashioned.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
IMG_2902.jpeg
IMG_2901.jpeg
IMG_2900.jpeg
IMG_2899.jpeg
It may take 4 years but I do come through eventually.

Picked up a Savage Axis 30-06 from my neighbor for $225. Came with 3 boxes of Ammo and scope. I think I got a pretty good deal. I’m not going to use the scope, instead I’m putting a Vortex Crossfire on it. I plan on taking it to the local gun smith for a cleaning and once over. It’s well used and dirty so it needs a good break down. I shot a round though it just fine though. I’d just feel more comfortable if someone more experienced went through it. Plus I have no idea how to mount a scope.

Got roughly 5 weeks to rifle season.

View attachment 1729538View attachment 1729539View attachment 1729540View attachment 1729541It may take 4 years but I do come through eventually.

Picked up a Savage Axis 30-06 from my neighbor for $225. Came with 3 boxes of Ammo and scope. I think I got a pretty good deal. I’m not going to use the scope, instead I’m putting a Vortex Crossfire on it. I plan on taking it to the local gun smith for a cleaning and once over. It’s well used and dirty so it needs a good break down. I shot a round though it just fine though. I’d just feel more comfortable if someone more experienced went through it. Plus I have no idea how to mount a scope.

Got roughly 5 weeks to rifle season.
Amazing deal! Congrats!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
IMG_20231114_135724362.jpg
This made a nice stew the other day. Came from the back 40 of my place. About a 2-3 year old doe.
IMG_20231125_204549421~2.jpg
This was from a buddy that lives about 4 or 5 miles away as the crow flies. He feeds lots of poor folks, and I help him deliver it. I kept this, the back straps. I'll PROBABLY trim it a little better tomorrow when I fry it up. Trying to convince my son it's better than filet mignon! Whole lot cheaper. I think my wife and I have bought him about 4 twenty dollar licenses in three years, and I've ended up with hundreds of dollars of venison. Just have to process it. Absolutely delicious stuff. All corn fed around here, like miniature cows, lol!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’m not sure what they eat around here. My guess would be acorns. Persimmon too I’m sure. I’m not even sure what grain is harvested around here, I’ve never paid attention. Soybean and Corn perhaps. Should all be harvested and ate up by now

Makes a big difference what the deer eat. These acorns eaters makes pretty good Jerky if it's spicy.
Sure not like corn fed though.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Makes a big difference what the deer eat. These acorns eaters makes pretty good Jerky if it's spicy.
Sure not like corn fed though.
My bride made some jerky last year from the ground venison! Was delicious. It was my neighbor's rig, and his spice recipe. Another buddy loves goose hunting. He made some jerky from the breast meat, was not bad, but I think I would have done better. You REALLY need to soak game birds in water and vinegar and squeeze it under the water. I do that with any game meat. This year I've even taken to rinsing my venison burger in a colander! I've been nothing short of amazed at the results. I've yet to try it an old cedar swamp raised buck, but I'll bet you a nickel it couldn't hurt.

Top Bottom