What's new

Deep Thoughts

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Lurv the smell of MWF, but my skin isn’t a fan. 1508.5 may have happened 513 years and two months ago depending on your calendar and brand of soap.

I'm contemplating getting a Lupo 95OC and a 72SB base plate since the 72OC is not yet available to sort out what I prefer in a modern, more efficient DE razor. I'm curious about your comment that the Lupo 72 has too much blade feel for you. If you could help me out by providing a few more details, I think that would help me along my path.

I was going to wait until next year to buy just one modern DE but I'm realizing, I just don't know what I appreciate in a DE razor. I can wax poetic about why I like about my Claymore Evolution AC single edge, but I've only used one DE razor so far for any length of time, the Gillette British Flat Bottom Tech. It shaves almost as close to the Claymore Evo but has a completely different feel. The Lupo might be the least expensive option to explore different blade gaps and efficiencies before springing for a more expensive option like the Blutt BR-1 1.2.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts. I have read through your journal for some background before I asked for your assistance.
Hi Kim! I thought I'd reply over here. I, too, have been enjoying the Journal entries of @Rocket 1 and the Vector. The SS Vector and I had a rough 5 month getting to know each other last year before I moved it to a more appreciative home. The reason: blade feel. Same with the Fatip Grande head, too much blade feel. I loved how closely shaven I was with the Vector, but as a daily shaver I was irritating my face too much (having rosacea, irritation can lead to worsening symptoms as well as flaring).

This relates to the Lupo in that I immediately felt the unpleasant (to me) feel of the blade with the Lupo 72 safety bar head. I believe I tried on 3 separate occasions and each time switched to a different razor at some point. The most I did with it was a full pass.

I don't believe it was a pressure thing, i.e., me pressing too hard, as I have learned not to do that until I am comfortable with the razor. Sometimes early on I thought setting 7 was too much on my Slim but looking back I think I was pressing the head more to make a closer shave. Today setting 6 seems very comfortable when in the past I did only one pass at that setting or else risked irritation. Even with the B&B chorus ringing in my ears about less pressure, I think I was still trying to make the razor shave close in 2 passes.

For me, too much blade feel is irritating. The Lupo 72 surprised me in that regard, as I anticipated liking it better than the Game Changer 84 SB head also lent to me. I have a preference for milder razors. But the GC 84 was marvelous. I am still debating adding one as the price is stupendous for such a great shaver. (But I spent on the Overlander, both to buy and to plate in nickel, so I'd hate to buy a sub-$100 razor that works just as well, you know?!) :letterk1:
I do suspect blade exposure to be part of it for me. The Overlander is supposed to be a neutral exposure. The plates for the Christorpher Bradley razor I like best are also neutral to negative (Plates B and A, respectively). So there is most likely a combination of exposure and how it relates to blade feel that makes for a better face-feel for me.

Back to the Vector. Shane wrote a blog or email post about how titanium changes the face feel of the Blackbird, taming it for some users. I figured the same should be true for the Vector and took a gamble on a Ti Vector when one appeared on the BST (or I posted a WTB, I forget!). And it worked wonders for me! The Ti Vector presents no problem being a daily shaver for me. So was it blade feel, or something else, blade exposure and SS that made it uncomfortable to me? I don't know the answer. I say this to be open that maybe it wasn't what I call blade feel.

But what I do know is that is the feel the Lupo 72 SB gives me, that blade feel or exposure, and I don't like it.

Hope this can help some!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Eric,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I have such a limited experience with DE razors. I've been talking to @Mr. Shavington about my modern razor. He has and loves the Claymore Evo so it's a bit easier to make the attempt to figure out what I'd like next. My British Flat Bottom Tech is the most efficient of all the Techs but it's still a mild razor.

Your comments about the Lupo are interesting. I was going to use it as an inexpensive way to explore blade gaps etc. It keeps showing up... the Lupo 72 and esp. the 95OC... but so far, all my razors... all two of them LOL are considered "mild". Even the Claymore Evo is a mild, yet efficient razor. I can bump that up by using a more aggressive blade. That might be a better option.

Mr S has suggested both the Overlander with you love and the Blutt BR-1 1.2. I'm sort of leaning toward the Blutt. As stupid as this seems, the Overlander uses that #10-32 which limits the handle choices. He says it's an excellent razor, though. The Blutt is on the higher end of the price scale... even an extra base plate is $80 and I really am clueless which gap would work best for me.

It doesn't sound like the Lupo will help me determine that, unfortunately.

Thanks again for helping me out. This DE journey is a bit daunting for me so far. I have a British NEW Raised Flat Bottom somewhere in the USPS system... slowly working its way to Florida.

It sounds like my original plan... using those two DE razors for the rest of the year, might be the smartest move. I'll be back to the Claymore for the month we are in Bali. The Vintage Gillettes are too hard to find if they are stolen.

Eric,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I have such a limited experience with DE razors. I've been talking to @Mr. Shavington about my modern razor. He has and loves the Claymore Evo so it's a bit easier to make the attempt to figure out what I'd like next. My British Flat Bottom Tech is the most efficient of all the Techs but it's still a mild razor.

Your comments about the Lupo are interesting. I was going to use it as an inexpensive way to explore blade gaps etc. It keeps showing up... the Lupo 72 and esp. the 95OC... but so far, all my razors... all two of them LOL are considered "mild". Even the Claymore Evo is a mild, yet efficient razor. I can bump that up by using a more aggressive blade. That might be a better option.

Mr S has suggested both the Overlander with you love and the Blutt BR-1 1.2. I'm sort of leaning toward the Blutt. As stupid as this seems, the Overlander uses that #10-32 which limits the handle choices. He says it's an excellent razor, though. The Blutt is on the higher end of the price scale... even an extra base plate is $80 and I really am clueless which gap would work best for me.

It doesn't sound like the Lupo will help me determine that, unfortunately.

Thanks again for helping me out. This DE journey is a bit daunting for me so far. I have a British NEW Raised Flat Bottom somewhere in the USPS system... slowly working its way to Florida.

It sounds like my original plan... using those two DE razors for the rest of the year, might be the smartest move. I'll be back to the Claymore for the month we are in Bali. The Vintage Gillettes are too hard to find if they are stolen.
Your comment on the Evo is interesting to me, as I have a preference for mild razors. Now I *have* to look into the Claymore Evo! JK, but I will look at one. I don't consider myself a collector, but I do enjoy variety as long as it delivers the goods and doesn't break the bank!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Your comment on the Evo is interesting to me, as I have a preference for mild razors. Now I *have* to look into the Claymore Evo! JK, but I will look at one. I don't consider myself a collector, but I do enjoy variety as long as it delivers the goods and doesn't break the bank!
I have an extra one around... I gave one to youngest son on a trial basis. He returned it... when I get back from Indonesia, I'd gladly send it for you to try. That will benefit me as well... information gathering. You already have the AC blades so that's easy.

I doubt I'll forget but remind me when we get back toward the end of September. The only thing that has improved it for me is a Timeless Ti Crown handle.... the lighter weight makes it more maneuverable. So if you have a lighter handle around, you might try that.

Holey shamoley, it has been almost 10 days with no nattering from me!

I have used a few different razors over those days, but here are some highlights. These two are my recently replated Gillettes, and Chris at Back Roads Gold did an awesome job on them.
8_23 sotd.jpg 8_26 sotd.jpg
That last one's brush (from yesterday's shave) is the G5C knot. Today was the G5A for comparision.
8_27 sotd.jpg
And yes, I was right in my recollection: I like the 5A better as it splays easier! I will most likely reknot the red Trotter Handcrafts Messier handle as it is one of my faves.

Today was a shave project day: polishing a new to me Karve Gladius handle and C solid bar plate (both brass). I think it turned out well and I had fun doing it.

I got the idea from this gent's YT video.

Here are shots of my doing this.
The gear
20220827_130628.jpg
The package I bought off Amazon is way more than I needed, but it had 2 of everything needed, including the metal piece to mount the head to my drill.
Part way through polishing the handle:
20220827_130546.jpg

Handle done and cleaned up with a microfiber cloth:
20220827_130528.jpg

Plate and handle and stuff before buffing with the white fluffy cloth:
20220827_130511.jpg

Buffing done!
20220827_130424.jpg

Final wipe down 😎
20220827_130450.jpg

8_28 sotd.jpg

Nickel-plated brass Overlander head and the Gladius 3" handle
Personna Comfert Coated (1)
PAA Scentsless
PAA Green Ray brush (under an invisibility cloak!)

I am using DEs for the last 4 days of August, not sure which, and not sure what brush, so I am winging it! I knew when I went to bed that this was the majority of the line up, so they had the photo shoot.

Tomorrow I will most likely compare the original OL handle, which is 3.5" and the Gladius handle. The arthritis in my hand seems to act up on occasion, especially when holding the OL in any orientation other than top up. I figured out this was because in the top up orientation, the handle end rests on my pinky. I noted that is how I hold most razors, so if that is odd then yay me!

What I noticed today was that the shorter handle made a big difference. Or my arthritis wasn't acting up. But I liked the way it felt and I like the mixed look. I think. (Already in the back of my mind a voice is telling me that it's only $30 or less to plate just a handle, and then all would be nickel again. I am stuffing that voice into a locked room, and maybe let it out around Christmas.)

Dave shaved today with the aluminum OL, I believe. I have one without the prettier handle he has, and that 3.5" handle is no problem, being aluminum. And I don't mind the length. All this to say, it is the weight of brass at 3.5" that gets me. I have the long SS Yates 921 handle and it doesn't bother me but look how spindly it is! And the Sabre is right on the edge. I suspect it is maybe shorter, as the mass is listed as the same as the OL. I don't recall discomfort with it, but I will find out come SEptember! And if I can remember, I'll check its length. Memory says it is shorter than the OL, but I am not sure.

thombrogan

I wonder if any highly recommended mad scientist master machinists from the Inland Empire could be commissioned to construct LHF handles for your Karve and Yates razors (10-32 thread size) and e’erything else (M5 unless you also own Fatip razors).

I wonder if any highly recommended mad scientist master machinists from the Inland Empire could be commissioned to construct LHF handles for your Karve and Yates razors (10-32 thread size) and e’erything else (M5 unless you also own Fatip razors).
I like the post, but in my approaching dotage, I need help!
Inland Empire?
LHF handle?
🤷‍♂️

thombrogan

Inland Empire is the combined counties of Riverside and San Bernardino in California.

LHF = Light Handle Fanboi. An LHF handle would be one such as the ‘fat’ handle of some Gillette Tech razors or various aluminum and plastic handles.

Once again, too much time has passed between entries! So let's recap, shall we, SEptember so far.

For the first few days, I played around with some GEMs and a Claymore. Had some blade issues with the GEMs that I hope to right for next week and had some stellar shaves from a loaned Claymore (many thanks to @Phoenixkh for his generosity!)

Ending my Schick week today with the Canadian Type E. This razor delivers a close and comfortable, easy shave for me. I have not tried the American Type Es as I have read they can be aggressive. I have tried several aggressive injectors (all Type G amber handles) and decided that if the E is like that, I'll pass. The non-amber handled Type G is another fave like the Type E Canadian, for my face.

It was nice to revisit my injectors, the others being 2 Type I Hydromagic variants, and an adjustable Type M. I could easily use any of them exclusively and be happy. But most of us enjoy the variety of this hobby, and so next week it is mostly GEMs, of which I again have a nice collection of a few favorites after trying many.

And I am going to use at least one boar brush if not more. I am swiping a phrase from @RenoRichard and calling next week SEpGemBoar Week! I am looking forward to it!

9_13 sotd.jpg

House of Mammoth Z (a wee hole and a thinning in the center that didn't show up in the photo shoot)
Semogue Galahad boar
GEM push button black and gold (thanks Paul @"mrdoug")
Personna GEM (3)

A very fine shave, compared to the first outing. Is it due to a different blade, or that I corked this blade? I don't know, I just know it was nice! Still a bit aggressive, but not as bad as I had thought. I found it comfortable as long as I paid attention and was rewarded with a very close shave. One nick, caught a bump on my neck, likely due to inattention as I was lulled into believing this was a no-hands shave.

SEpGemBoar is progressing nicely!

SEpGemBoar week continues

And, you all know what day it is, right?!
Hump day camel.jpg

9_14 sotd.jpg

Flying Wing with Guiding Eye, ca. 1947
Personna GEM (4)
MR boar in Ever Ready handle
Mammoth Z

I have had this razor on the BST twice with no takers, so I gave it a go this morning and had a very nice shave. Why was I trying to sell it? I found myself reaching for the Peerless or the Damaskeene more often than not. And I was in a selling frame of mind, trying to get my shave stuff down to things I really liked and used, versus loads of stuff I liked but didn't reach for as much as the others. (Trust me, it made sense at the time!) After this morning, I remembered that I did like this razor, it works for me and feels good in hand and on face.

Top Bottom