What's new

Deep Thoughts

Wow, I have been absent and ignoring my Journal for too long!

Another week in the books! I have started a new system, which I call the "minimal thought put into selecting gear" method. No, I don't call it that. But it basically involves using up a soap, taking a brush based on what is next in line in the brush drawer, and using a different razor every day or so. The only thought I put into this plan is what razor to use. Folks who have read my drivel over the years know I tended to the Fixed Four for a week at a time. But since before last Christmas, I have been enjoying the Use Whatever I Want method. As our buddy Dave says, Variety!

Back a few years ago, I found myself fretting over what to use and if everything was being used equally, and other silly hangups. To alleviate that, and focus on enjoying the morning's shave, I did a weekly fixed four. For me, it not only helped home in my technique, but relieved my mind of the silly stress of choosing tomorrow's set up. Seriously, in mid-shave I'd be thinking about the next shave's setup and totally missing out on the shave I was doing at that time!

With all that said, I have enjoyed many of my brushes and am not finding too many that may need to move on. Not due to the brush being inadequate, but due to my preferences for my brushes. I seem to be locking into 24mm, and more badger and synthetics. As for razors, most modern have left the razor drawer with the exceptions of some Karves, a Romulus, and a Tatara, with a Hawk maybe leaving maybe staying. But my Schicks, GEMS, and Gillettes have trimmed down to those I just love to use and get a great shave from. So this makes me happy and wanting to use them all every day!

Today was my Enders Speed Shaver with the adapter from HC&C and a Schick Proline B-20 blade, Stirling Sheep (I have a hole in the bottom but probably a couple dozen more shaves), and an AP Cashmere (26mm, bucking the pattern!) in a Trotter layered birch handle that I just love to look at!

20230208_121953.jpg

Wow, I have been absent and ignoring my Journal for too long!

Another week in the books! I have started a new system, which I call the "minimal thought put into selecting gear" method. No, I don't call it that. But it basically involves using up a soap, taking a brush based on what is next in line in the brush drawer, and using a different razor every day or so. The only thought I put into this plan is what razor to use. Folks who have read my drivel over the years know I tended to the Fixed Four for a week at a time. But since before last Christmas, I have been enjoying the Use Whatever I Want method. As our buddy Dave says, Variety!

Back a few years ago, I found myself fretting over what to use and if everything was being used equally, and other silly hangups. To alleviate that, and focus on enjoying the morning's shave, I did a weekly fixed four. For me, it not only helped home in my technique, but relieved my mind of the silly stress of choosing tomorrow's set up. Seriously, in mid-shave I'd be thinking about the next shave's setup and totally missing out on the shave I was doing at that time!

With all that said, I have enjoyed many of my brushes and am not finding too many that may need to move on. Not due to the brush being inadequate, but due to my preferences for my brushes. I seem to be locking into 24mm, and more badger and synthetics. As for razors, most modern have left the razor drawer with the exceptions of some Karves, a Romulus, and a Tatara, with a Hawk maybe leaving maybe staying. But my Schicks, GEMS, and Gillettes have trimmed down to those I just love to use and get a great shave from. So this makes me happy and wanting to use them all every day!

Today was my Enders Speed Shaver with the adapter from HC&C and a Schick Proline B-20 blade, Stirling Sheep (I have a hole in the bottom but probably a couple dozen more shaves), and an AP Cashmere (26mm, bucking the pattern!) in a Trotter layered birch handle that I just love to look at!

View attachment 1820878
That is a gorgeous handle!! Natures Disco Haze 😁

Top Bottom