What's new

"Deep" meh, little impact

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Can't honestly say I needed another aftershave, but since the view rarely changes at the big box stores, when Nivea's latest offering, "Deep" finally showed, I picked up the aftershave (AS) to try.

proxy.php

Seems to have been called "Deep Comfort," and "Deep Impact" overseas. Anyways.

First sniff reminded me of the Coty-made Addidas scents ... then I realized, it does smell somewhat like the clean scent from the Nivea balms, but in a liquid. Maybe.

Though it persisted on dry fingers yesterday, I splashed it on after an MdC Fougere/M41 shave today and ... unimpressed. Scent is pleasant but generic and didn't last! No great alcohol burn, but that's not a deal-killer; Stetson has none but works. This just has castor oil, I believe, which does help with dryness. In fact, when I make aftershave I keep both glycerin and castor oil as additives (and to make an uberlather soap). So.

A change of pace, but not world-shattering ("Heh. He made a 'Deep Impact' movie reference!"). All right, nice even but not a re-buy. There are more creative scents/things happening, and AS' with better protection.

Now the Nivea balm, I do think is a great product - if overpriced by far per ounce. From that I have learned a traveler's trick: that virtually any hotel room hand lotion can be used as an aftershave balm.

AA

Can't honestly say I needed another aftershave, but since the view rarely changes at the big box stores, when Nivea's latest offering, "Deep" finally showed, I picked up the aftershave (AS) to try.

proxy.php

First sniff reminded me of the Coty-made Addidas scents ... then I realized, it does smell somewhat like the clean scent from the Nivea balms, but in a liquid. Maybe.

Though it persisted on dry fingers yesterday, I splashed it on after an MdC Fougere/M41 shave today and ... unimpressed. Scent is pleasant but generic and didn't last! No great alcohol burn, but that's not a deal-killer; Stetson has none but works. This just has castor oil, I believe, which does help with dryness. In fact, when I make aftershave I keep both glycerin and castor oil as additives (and to make an uberlather soap). So.

A change of pace, but not world-shattering ("Heh. He made a 'Deep Impact' movie reference!"). All right, nice even but not a re-buy. There are more creative scents/things happening, and AS' with better protection.

Now the Nivea balm, I do think is a great product - if overpriced by far per ounce. From that I have learned a traveler's trick: that virtually any hotel room hand lotion can be used as an aftershave balm.

AA
I, like you, allow our curiosity to get the best of us. Having seen this at the local Walmart, and having a one dollar off coupon on Nivea items, plus the missus employee discount got the price down to a bit under four dollars. Had to try it, just "had to"! Well, not impressesd, nor disappointed either. Takes care of my skin ok, but the scent is too mild. What little scent there is belongs in the boozy and charred wood area so prevalent these days, not bad, but too mild for me. Probably would work best fall/winter scent wise. I would give it two out of five stars. God I miss the aftershaves of 20/30 years ago. If you want something good, artisan is the way. The huge companies making todays' lotions and balms aim their product at the younger age bracket. To them, they get their fragrance from the horrid body sprays, so the aftershave doesn't require scent. But look at all the offerings at West Coast and Maggards. We are blessed to have them around to serve us old/older farts with shaving supplies that do the job and we enjoy.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I, like you, allow our curiosity to get the best of us. Having seen this at the local Walmart, and having a one dollar off coupon on Nivea items, plus the missus employee discount got the price down to a bit under four dollars. Had to try it, just "had to"! Well, not impressesd, nor disappointed either. Takes care of my skin ok, but the scent is too mild. What little scent there is belongs in the boozy and charred wood area so prevalent these days, not bad, but too mild for me. Probably would work best fall/winter scent wise. I would give it two out of five stars. God I miss the aftershaves of 20/30 years ago. If you want something good, artisan is the way. The huge companies making todays' lotions and balms aim their product at the younger age bracket. To them, they get their fragrance from the horrid body sprays, so the aftershave doesn't require scent. But look at all the offerings at West Coast and Maggards. We are blessed to have them around to serve us old/older farts with shaving supplies that do the job and we enjoy.

This and agreed!

AA

Yeah, typical 'clear AS lotion' vagueness. Most seem to be like you described it. Weak scent, not very moisturizing or refreshing/burning, sticky, boring generic deodorant scents. They likely make 'em intentonally to be least offensive to the average consumer.

I tried it and thought it was a good after shave for the price and being available at a local store. To me was a more modern scent that would work better in fall/winter. Definitely smells better then clubman and aqua velva.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I went back and threw it on a dry face ... And still. Any scent is gone shortly thereafter. Moisturized, though.

AA

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nivea seems to work for me. I appreciate it doesn’t work for everyone. I do have most of the other Nivea balms and splashes and admittedly I don’t use them everyday. Just when I feel like it or have had a particularly rough shave. Thanks for your review on how Nivea Deep worked for you.

I think Niva products tend to concentrate on post shave comfort rather than scent. I used them on and off over the years and personally they've always been a bit meh.

I spotted some in my local pharmacy and the bottle was not sealed up, so I rubbed a few drops on the back of my hand to test it.
I finally found an AS that I like even less than any species of Aqua Velva. :thumbdown
I can only describe it as "stale and stuffy". I'm glad I didn't spend any money on it.
It does remind me somewhat of Azzaro's "Wanted by Night" EdP. (Which I hated, but the one sample spritz lasted for two weeks.)

I like it enough to use it. The scent almost verges on gourmand, but fades faster than pretty much any other splash I own. If you're going for a modern clean-smelling great-performing dumb-reach kind of aftershave, Gillette Cool Wave is a better all-around choice.

proxy.php

AA

Great review!! :a14::a14:

You saved me a few $.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Revisiting this a year later.

It works better if you splash a lot on - handfuls!

It does have a unique scent. Speick, it is not, however.

No alky sting but does moisturize.

Not a rebuy, but not terrible - so no change! :cornut: :devil:

AA

Revisiting this a year later.

It works better if you splash a lot on - handfuls!

It does have a unique scent. Speick, it is not, however.

No alky sting but does moisturize.

Not a rebuy, but not terrible - so no change! :cornut: :devil:

AA
Always nice to have a backup. Thanks for rev.

I think Europe gets the better Nivea splashes. I love the Nivea 2 in 1 splash i bought in Spain last summer. They also make a good alcohol free moisturizing splash.

Yet another "fail" by Nivea, as Walmart has dropped Deep from their in-store line of aftershaves. Not surprising. Nivea's lone "success" story in this country has been the Sensitive balm. That product is a good deal for what you pay, yet better balms exist for more a bit more money. And in lotions, Nivea will never crack the Old Spice, Skin Bracer, Aqua Velva stronghold at the local supercenter. They trot out a new lotion almost annually, and they all turn into duds. Nivea has a sorry record of making products which retailers will carry year after year.

I think Europe gets the better Nivea splashes. I love the Nivea 2 in 1 splash i bought in Spain last summer. They also make a good alcohol free moisturizing splash.
I can recommend 2 in 1 and that nivea balm sensitive. I was inactive for some while on b&b but in the mean time I think I used one bottle of 2 in 1, and got nivea senstivie balm (green liquid)

I saw a post about Nivea Deep being 75% off at a pharmacy so I thought I'd try it. I could only find it at 25% off and picked it up. Disappointing, especially since I LOVE the sensitive skin balm, which blows away more expensive brands in which you're paying for a name on the bottle, not the contents or performance.

To me it smells like a poorly done version of Gillette Cool Wave (which I really like). And the dry down reminds me ofa weak Drakkar Noir, which I paired it with the few times I've used it. My first reaction was that scent strength was poor, however the other times I've tried it, the scent is lightly there for several hours and I'll pick up on it, it's just not something that's dominant, and actually improves the longer it's out of the bottle.

It's my least favorite in the den, and I'll probably PIF or trade somewhere down the line.

Top Bottom