What's new

Deep fried Ham question?

Hello everyone, I have a question for all of you that have made a deep fried Ham.
Do you use a uncooked ham or a fully cooked ham that hasn't been sliced yet?
I ask because my father wants to deep fry a ham for Christmas this year and has had no luck finding an uncooked ham.
Also, how long per pound, should the ham be deep fried for both a fully cooked and uncooked ham. Internal temperature as well.
Mostly concerned about the the uncooked ham since worms are not on my Christmas wish list this or any other year!
Thanks in advance!

I have never heard of deep fried ham. But since I love ham and I love stuff deep fried, I will be watching this thread with interest!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
You can deep fry anything, even ice cream. Deep frying a ham seems relatively easy but deep frying it while in a sandwich would be awesome.

Wrap that puppy in BACON!

Never tried deep fried ham, should be great. Pics and whatever process you come up with please.

This the Ham I did last year. Deep fried whole in the turkey frying pot. This was a pre-cooked pic-nic ham and it was fantastic out of the fryer. It's always difficult to find green ham (un-cooked).
1126151414.jpg

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Wouldn't it take forever to deep fry an uncooked ham? By forever, I mean well past the time the outside would get burnt while the inside remained pork tartare.

Wouldn't it take forever to deep fry an uncooked ham? By forever, I mean well past the time the outside would get burnt while the inside remained pork tartare.
That's my thought as well, but once my father makes his mind up about how he wants to do things there's no arguing about it.
He did find 9 pound uncooked ham finally, so I just have to wait and see how it turns out.

That's my thought as well, but once my father makes his mind up about how he wants to do things there's no arguing about it.
He did find 9 pound uncooked ham finally, so I just have to wait and see how it turns out.
Seems like a good candidate for trying a do it yourself immersion bath cook. Finish in the fryer.

Well, we didn't have deep fried ham for Christmas dinner. It never fully cooked all the way through.
I did try a piece on the outside that was cooked and it wasn't anything special. It's worth noting that a raw, uncured ham is basically a large bone in pork roast, and this one my father attempted to deep fry was no exception. Uncured and unseasoned, the bite I had was tasteless.

There is good news however. My mother foresaw the possibility of failure and roasted a fully cured and cooked ham as a back up and we had a deep fried turkey as well.

So what did we learn? We learned that a fully cooked ham would be the best candidate for the next attempt.

Thanks for tge info....never heard of doing the ham deep fried but boy the possibilities are endless with seasoning and incerted additions, like cheese etc in the center of the ham....

Top Bottom