What's new

Deep Cycle Battery Help

I have a 12V deep cycle battery that I want to put in the garage hooked up to a trickle charger for the winter. Problem is that the garage isn't heated and it gets pretty cold here. Any suggestions?

Lead acid batteries use sulphuric acid for the acid. A 50% solution of sulphuric acid freezes at approximately -30 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, the trickle charger would slightly raise the temperature of the acid when it was operating. I'm not sure what concentration is in your battery, but I've never had a car battery freeze.

Lead acid batteries use sulphuric acid for the acid. A 50% solution of sulphuric acid freezes at approximately -30 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, the trickle charger would slightly raise the temperature of the acid when it was operating. I'm not sure what concentration is in your battery, but I've never had a car battery freeze.

I would second this - it gets pretty cold over here also, and I've never had a battery freeze (I keep a deep cycle for a trolling motor).

-s

Last edited:
I charge deep cycle batteries for wheelchairs outside in an unheated shop all year round with no problems in my business. Not quite as cold in central Texas, but you shouldn't have any trouble or need to take any special precautions. Cold or heat will limit the range we get out of the batteries when in use, but you won't notice any difference in storage.

Great! Thanks for the feedback. One more question, will there be a build up of fumes from the battery in the garage? I keep it in a battery box if that helps.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
In a space as big as a garage any battery smaller than 8D shouldnt gas off enough hydrogen to be a risk unless you are really cooking it. What size battery? Got a multistage smart charger?

In a space as big as a garage any battery smaller than 8D shouldnt gas off enough hydrogen to be a risk unless you are really cooking it. What size battery? Got a multistage smart charger?

It's a size 24M that i hook up to a trickle charger.

It's a size 24M that i hook up to a trickle charger.

I don't think you have anything to worry about at all with that set up.

That being said, I wouldn't leave any children under say, 3 months, in the garage for more than a day or two (unless of course you leave the window open a crack).

:001_smile

-s

Top Bottom