What's new

DEEP CLEANING A TURKISH GRINDER

I run white rice through my grinder about every 3 grind sessions. This helps, especially with cleaning the metal burr, but after so many grinds rice just can't clean the buildup on the brass wall and grinder assembly. I usually take a small toothbrush soaked in 91% isopropyl alcohol ( won't rust the brass ) and swab it out several times, alternating with thick pieces of paper towels to remove the loosened plaque...Is there a way to completely disassemble these traditional grinders ??..Maybe someone has a better technique ??

Attachments

• grinder.jpg
    grinder.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 19
Unless you're cleaning your grinder once a week, they're a nice option. That other linked one probably is good too, the linked one is just the brand we use. They leave the burrs near spotless when we use them. It's three packets of bean size tablets. Rice is not only harder than coffee beans (tough on the mechanisms), but is full of starch, which gets sticky/gummy when moisture collects in it.

For brass I recommend BKF cookware cleaner with a soft brush. Does really nicely on our copper cookware, so it should be just fine for brass.

Unless you're cleaning your grinder once a week, they're a nice option. That other linked one probably is good too, the linked one is just the brand we use. They leave the burrs near spotless when we use them. It's three packets of bean size tablets. Rice is not only harder than coffee beans (tough on the mechanisms), but is full of starch, which gets sticky/gummy when moisture collects in it.

For brass I recommend BKF cookware cleaner with a soft brush. Does really nicely on our copper cookware, so it should be just fine for brass.
You're right....uncooked rice is hard, Minute Rice is much softer, but still cleans well , and most of the starch has been preboiled out...

Top Bottom