What's new

Declaration Grooming?

Piling on or just being sensitive?

Artisans may do this for a living but many don’t. It’s a side gig not a career. Microwaves, mixers, crock pots and a stove...in their house. Jars, labels utilities/bills they write off. Consumer pays for shipping. Little to no overhead. They don’t triple mill because they don’t have the equipment. Their mark up is legendary. They are doing just fine while making a product we all love...for the most part.

Last edited:
I have a business, and I’m essentially a one man show, and I sure wish customers were so understanding like the many super cool people from here are, that I am “just a single individual” or “may not have time to write back in a timely fashion” or understand maybe the message went to the “spam folder”.

I guess I have higher standards because I have to fight for customers and they can be brutal and they don’t like excuses and I quickly learned to value them because it’s my livelihood. This is why I use auto responders when I’m buried, and contact forms that an assistant can comb through and screen, and I also comb through the spam folder because when a potential customer reaches out to me, I make sure they know that I value them. Business 101 stuff. Excuses are a bad look.

Anyway, enough of that. Shaving soaps make the world better and shavers happy and that’s what I’ll focus on and leave it to other business owners how they choose to run their business.

I do understand where you are coming from. I am retired now, but I spent the last half of my career in field technical service for a large paper company. Some of my larger customers purchased over $500,000 - $1 Million a month in product. Thus, I wanted to make sure any problems they had were addressed promptly. I checked my work email multiple times per day, even on weekends, holidays, and when I was on vacation.

However, I also had customers who only purchased small quantities of paper, perhaps a 50# case costing $30-50. I did not ignore them, but I certainly did not give them the same attention as my larger customers received.

I have no idea of the nature of your business. However, I suspect that you give more attention to your larger customers, or at least those who might offer the potential for increased business. However, I agree with you that you cannot ignore smaller customers.

I
I have a business, and I’m essentially a one man show, and I sure wish customers were so understanding like the many super cool people from here are, that I am “just a single individual” or “may not have time to write back in a timely fashion” or understand maybe the message went to the “spam folder”.

I guess I have higher standards because I have to fight for customers and they can be brutal and they don’t like excuses and I quickly learned to value them because it’s my livelihood. This is why I use auto responders when I’m buried, and contact forms that an assistant can comb through and screen, and I also comb through the spam folder because when a potential customer reaches out to me, I make sure they know that I value them. Business 101 stuff. Excuses are a bad look.

Anyway, enough of that. Shaving soaps make the world better and shavers happy and that’s what I’ll focus on and leave it to other business owners how they choose to run their business.

I cannot agree more with you. My peeve is also retailers who never answer emails.

In this regard I would rather talk about positive stories and ii want to applaud a manufacturer whose customer response i have found is incredible by any industry standard - Shane of Blackland razors. He always answers within 24 hours any email inquiry without fail.

I’m blown away by how some guys will post here as if they KNOW something (even say “I know ...”) without actually knowing anything about what they are posting. ...and others follow along like the other guy actually knows what he’s taking about. STOP a minute and think about what you’re doing. Your post lives on in perpetuity, well beyond the time you’ll spend trying to recall what you think you read or heard somewhere about this artisan or that one. Yet the damage your misinformation does to that person’s brand or business, a business they probably put more hours and money into than you’ve spent on this or any other forum, will be everlasting. Why? So you can look like you know something someone else didn’t ...but could easily go find out by searching this or another forum or emailing the artisans directly.

It is totally fair to make personal statements based on your own experiences or preferences, but to make statements of fact or imply through your statements that something one artisan is doing is superior To others (or what others are doing inferior, dangerous or wrong) without it being easily proven is just irresponsible.

NO, CBL doesn’t make the ETHOS soap, he only made the one lime scent. It says right on the CBLsoap website that soap was a one off collaboration, made with a modified CBL base and scent and ETHOS EOS Stuff.

“ETHOS is not made in someone’s home, it’s made using more sterile lab equipment?” REALLY? Sure Frank works in the skin/hair care industry and has access to his employers lab equipment...but is he making his soap there? Do you KNOW that or are you assuming? Do you know what equipment CBL, Stirling, Declaration Grooming, Grooming Department, A&E, Wholly Kaw, Chiselled Face, etc are using Does it even matter? Have you seen how Martin D Candre makes soap...using a kitchen aid type mixer?

Then you have the guy that implied HE has SEEN the mythical ETHOS lab and it’s “shady and illegal” before going on to attack the listing of ‘EOS COMPLEX’ without further delineating its ingredients as being illegal. Cue the links to the FDA labeling laws. *I don’t know what’s in that EOS stuff or what the rules are regarding ...or if there’s a lab and if there is, if it’s shady and illegal...but MAN, it sure seems y’all don’t like this Frank guy.

“Most artisans are using candle fragrances (and won’t tell you) ...or if you’re lucky, synthetic oils?” Do you have any idea how many fragrances are readily available for soap making, ones that are specifically tested and cleared by all the appropriate agencies to be used in soap? Why would a soap make use candle fragrance? That statement serves only one purpose and that is to poison minds against those using fragrance oils. I’ll go one further, it was implied the use of aroma Chemicals or EO’s to scent soap was superior to the use of synthetic fragrances ...but aroma chemicals ARE synthetic and quite often aroma chemicals and EO’s are more volatile and easily damaged by the heat involved in soap production or saponification that occurs during further curing. A soap maker may be using what they are using because it’s the right oil for the application. ....but wait, maybe you DO like Frank because HE uses the essential oils and aroma chemicals.

Seriously, it’s like a High School quad at lunch time around here the way you guys pile on different artisans and make stuff up. This is what these guys do for a living, They put the effort out so we can be petty and nit pick their products in exchange for $20 here and there.

I dont have any personal knowledge about the background of all these soap makers. You seem to be suggesting that the maker of ethos is doing his soaps part time and is using his employers lab to make his soaps. Is that correct? I have since read references made by him in other forums where he seems to give the impression he has a lab with at least a couple fo female staff who also enjoy using his serums. Are you saying that that is untrue?

I dont have any personal knowledge about the background of all these soap makers. You seem to be suggesting that the maker of ethos is doing his soaps part time and is using his employers lab to make his soaps. Is that correct? I have since read references made by him in other forums where he seems to give the impression he has a lab with at least a couple fo female staff who also enjoy using his serums. Are you saying that that is untrue?
I have no idea how or where ethos soap is made. Based on some conversations with other members who know the guy well I know he currently works for an established company/lab and is launching or currently relaunching the ETHOS soap and splash. The only product I have from ethos is a splash So I have ZERO ability to say anything about his soap. When I ordered the splash it took a fairly long time to be shipped so he emailed me to a update me and when he did he told me it was because he had been very busy at work (the employer) and was getting caught up with shipping and working with the lady on his website. That’s all I know about a lady.

I’ve ordered a lot of soaps over the years and have rarely had any issues and had very few occasions to email a vendor or artisan. The few times I have had an issue or question the way it was handled was without a doubt excellent. I don’t have any grand illusions that these soaps are being made in a professional lab or commercial kitchen, heck, most labels say right on them they are “small batch”. I suspect artisans like Stirling have a pretty solid system down since they have been around as long as they have and are brick and mortar AND internet (he did a video showing his shop but it was under construction/rehab).

As far as how much an artisan charges, I don’t think it’s fair at all that WE (B&B) allow the size of the operation or whether it’s a side gig or full time job to diminish the value of the product. Whoever, however, why-ever, they took the risk, they took on the up front expense, they developed the skill and they give up the personal time to make each tub. All that should matter is the experience they are able to provide you with each tub of soap.

Declaration seems to be known mostly for their brushes and soap, both of which I find outstanding. I also find their aftershaves outstanding—along with Chatillon Lux and Maol Grooming, among my top three. Amazing stuff.

I have no idea how or where ethos soap is made. Based on some conversations with other members who know the guy well I know he currently works for an established company/lab and is launching or currently relaunching the ETHOS soap and splash. The only product I have from ethos is a splash So I have ZERO ability to say anything about his soap. When I ordered the splash it took a fairly long time to be shipped so he emailed me to a update me and when he did he told me it was because he had been very busy at work (the employer) and was getting caught up with shipping and working with the lady on his website. That’s all I know about a lady.

I’ve ordered a lot of soaps over the years and have rarely had any issues and had very few occasions to email a vendor or artisan. The few times I have had an issue or question the way it was handled was without a doubt excellent. I don’t have any grand illusions that these soaps are being made in a professional lab or commercial kitchen, heck, most labels say right on them they are “small batch”. I suspect artisans like Stirling have a pretty solid system down since they have been around as long as they have and are brick and mortar AND internet (he did a video showing his shop but it was under construction/rehab).

As far as how much an artisan charges, I don’t think it’s fair at all that WE (B&B) allow the size of the operation or whether it’s a side gig or full time job to diminish the value of the product. Whoever, however, why-ever, they took the risk, they took on the up front expense, they developed the skill and they give up the personal time to make each tub. All that should matter is the experience they are able to provide you with each tub of soap.

Thanks for your clarification Vetiver. I wanted to make sure I understood what you meant because as I said, all these things are new to me and I am learning all the time about the shaving soaps and what they are. I fully agree with you that what matters are the results. I personally think all or most of the artisans are basically operating out of their homes anyway but I have found with WK and Declaration grooming that the results are better than the factory made soaps that I have tried so far.

I wanted to check if anyone feels a mildly burning sensation when using sellout declaration grooming shaving soap? I didfeel that when using it and the performance of the soap made me like using it but I have noticed that sensation is not there with many other soaps I have tried.

Last edited:
I have Sellout in the older Icarus base. I have not noted in irritation, even with my sensitive skin. I have not tried the scent in the newer Milksteak base, but I have used Milksteak Massacre of the Innocents without issue.

Skin sensitivities, however, tend to be individualistic. I am sensitive to lime, lemon, grapefruit, clove, cinnamon, peppermint, and menthol. You might be sensitive to something entirely different. Unfortunately, Scott does not list the specific scent notes in Sellout. It is his interpretation of Creed Aventus, but I do not know what goes into his scent accord.

I have Sellout in the older Icarus base. I have not noted in irritation, even with my sensitive skin. I have not tried the scent in the newer Milksteak base, but I have used Milksteak Massacre of the Innocents without issue.

Skin sensitivities, however, tend to be individualistic. I am sensitive to lime, lemon, grapefruit, clove, cinnamon, peppermint, and menthol. You might be sensitive to something entirely different. Unfortunately, Scott does not list the specific scent notes in Sellout. It is his interpretation of Creed Aventus, but I do not know what goes into his scent accord.

Yes it is very individualistic.i do find he milsteak base supern performance base and the burning sensation is low key but I was reading in another forum.about the dangers of becoming sensitized over time to ingredients in soaps.

Vetiver...I think you hard onthese guys about their posts.All of this isn't that important.We buy what we research and like.Its as simple as that.Everyone can have their opinion right or wrong...skip the ones you don't like.You don't have to rag on these guys!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Fresh laundry with Lavender as Shawn Maher intended when he created this scent for Milksteak and not over scented as many others tend to be today.

This one is perfect and nice to see all proceeds benefiting a mental health charity.

37D8F553-CCD8-4E86-AFE4-627EEF65175D.jpeg

Last edited:
They never replied. I wrote three different times. Basically blown off. That’s ok though. I know they must be too busy to deal with a prospective customer, so I didn’t let it bother me. I wound up finding the answer from another. Water under the bridge. I look forward to trying their soap.

I sent them an email about 7 - 10 days ago and never got a reply. They must have something going on. I've never tried one of their soaps before, but at the end of the day I already have at least 4 years of soap to get through. I know, I'm still a lightweight :).

I sent them an email about 7 - 10 days ago and never got a reply. They must have something going on. I've never tried one of their soaps before, but at the end of the day I already have at least 4 years of soap to get through. I know, I'm still a lightweight :).

Declaration Grooming is a one-man operation; Scott has to do it all. Try sending him another email. It may have ended up in his spam folder or something like that.

I tried "After the rain" yesterday. Nice scent and I like the smell more than "sellout". The lathering and slickness were great as usual. However the soap did cause a mild burning sensation to my face just like "sellout". I find this to happen with some American artisanal soaps but never happens with European made soaps.

On another note I have since acquired some ETHOS soaps. The hype is real - especially with Lavender Supreme (Lisse collection). The best scent of any shaving soap I have ever tried and great lathering performance with slickness but without feeling oily and heavy and rinses off easily. It is now the numero uno in my list of favourite shaving soaps beating even DG milsteak and wholly kaw siero base.

I tried "After the rain" yesterday. Nice scent and I like the smell more than "sellout". The lathering and slickness were great as usual. However the soap did cause a mild burning sensation to my face just like "sellout". I find this to happen with some American artisanal soaps but never happens with European made soaps.

On another note I have since acquired some ETHOS soaps. The hype is real - especially with Lavender Supreme (Lisse collection). The best scent of any shaving soap I have ever tried and great lathering performance with slickness but without feeling oily and heavy and rinses off easily. It is now the numero uno in my list of favourite shaving soaps beating even DG milsteak and wholly kaw siero base.

So how do you actually buy Ethos shave soap? I've still never figured it out.

I like the richness of the bison base, I also think it has a lot more skin food and I really like that.

DG is one of my top favorites, but the thing is I find the base to be too soft. For someone that likes loading heavily directly off the puck, it's kind of a negative.

Like Stirling, B&M really got the consistency on point as I find they last longer. The base is reliable, and high quality. This makes them about equal in terms of my favorites as both have their attribute that I enjoy.
I haven't even shaved with the soap and I agree with you. I can already tell that Massacre of the Innocents is not going to last long. The soap is very soft and there's not much in the container. I guess Stirling has me spoiled. I hope the shave with it is good.

Attachments

• 20210803_110123.jpg
    20210803_110123.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 24
  • 20210803_110115.jpg
    20210803_110115.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 22
Top Bottom