What's new

Declaration Grooming?

I am also wanting to try A & E next. I have read a lot about how good those soaps are.

I’ve only tried the milksteak base from DG. While it is a good soap with a really excellent post shave. I find the soap has an almost off/rotten scent after opening. This disappears when lathered. I also find this base to appear to be very thirsty but if you are not careful it will suddenly be too hydrated and lather is no good. Other bases I prefer better have much better and forgiving hydration tolerances. Lastly, I think the soap is just a little overpriced, not totally unreasonable. I like the soap ok, but knowing the cost for one tub, I can find dozens upon dozens of other soaps that edge it out for a little less than DG.

I am pretty much hooked on the A&E bases. My opinion above is one I have held pre Kaizen as well as the pre Asian pear base 1.1. Once I thin out my inventory a bit, I’d like to try a few other artisans just to say I have, but I don’t expect I’ll be converted to another product line exclusively.

Milksteak is a nice base. The Sweet Lemon just released is quite nice.

If your looking for a great soap try ETHOS. It’s clearly a 105 on any YouTube review. Better to me in performance than Kaizen, Kairos, anything. EO’s and aroma chemicals only. None of the candle fragrance oils the others use. Made in a professional setting. Most artisans are just home soap cookers trying to out soap each other.

Could you elaborate what you mean by ETHOS being made in a professional setting? In what way are the fragrances used by other supermarkets candle fragrances? I thought that ethos was made also by a former home soap enthusiast as well In a similar sort of way as how the other soap makers got started. As well where is ethos reviewed and given a score of 105?

Milksteak is a nice base. The Sweet Lemon just released is quite nice.

If your looking for a great soap try ETHOS. It’s clearly a 105 on any YouTube review. Better to me in performance than Kaizen, Kairos, anything. EO’s and aroma chemicals only. None of the candle fragrance oils the others use. Made in a professional setting. Most artisans are just home soap cookers trying to out soap each other.

Could you elaborate what you mean by ETHOS being made in a professional setting? In what way are the fragrances used by other supermarkets candle fragrances? I thought that ethos was made also by a former home soap enthusiast as well In a similar sort of way as how the other soap makers got started. As well where is ethos reviewed and given a score of 105?

ETHOS is not made in someone’s home but in a lab with more sterile equipment. The maker has worked in the personal care industry for years.

Most homemade artisans/soap cookers are using candle fragrance oils (they won’t admit it) or if your lucky synthetic fragrance oils.

Again, it’s easily a 105 on Jason’s site. I’ve used them all myself.

A&E Kaizen is a nice budget soap. Nice base but I wish Peter scented with aroma chemicals or EO’s rather than cheap synthetics.I prefer Milksteak.

I am not the one who made those comments, but I did want to respond with my thoughts.

In order to make an artisan soap, expertise is required in both soapmaking and perfumery. There are some artisans that possess both skills. There are some artisans who are skilled at soapmaking, but collaborate with a perfumer to create the scents. There there are some artisans who are skilled perfumers who do not possess the expertise in soapmaking, so they will work with a soapmaker to produce the soap.

Scents can be made from either essential oils or synthetic fragrance oils. In general, essential oils are preferred, but some are extraordinarily expensive. For example, osmanthus absolute costs $329 per ounce. However, you can go to your local craft store and purchase fragrance oils for soapmaking and candlemaking for about $10 per ounce. You can also purchase knock-off fragrances of famous designer perfumes.

There are some scents that are only available as fragrance oils. For example, ambergris is produced in the digestive tracks of sperm whales. Since sperm whales are an endangered species, the possession or sale of ambergris is prohibited in the USA. Thus, if you see ambergris as a scent note, it will be a synthetic version called ambroxan. In countries where the sale of ambergris is permitted, the price per ounce is similar to that of gold.

Thus, artisans who produce soaps that sell at budget prices will often use fragrance oils or blends. Expensive soaps often use essential oils or a blend of essential oils and fragrance oils. Some artisans have started to price soaps based on their costs. Declaration Grooming is one who has done this. Their soaps range from $19 for unscented up to $26 for some collaborations with the perfumer Chatillon Lux.

Jason Rudman or Ruds Shaves is the only YouTube shaver I have seen who rates soaps on a numerical scale. As far as I am aware, Ruds has not rated any Ethos Grooming Essentials soap. The highest rating Ruds has given
to any soap was 102 awarded to Grooming Department Kairos formula. The first soap released by Frank (aka Dragonsbeard) was produced by Oleo Soapworks in a duck fat base. Subsequent releases were made by CBL Soaps. I am not sure whether CBL is making the current releases. Frank's expertise is perfumery. Both Oleo Soapworks and CBL Soaps make very good soaps, but neither rate as elite soaps in my den. Thus, I think that the rating of 105 was just wishful thinking upon the part of one Ethos fan.

@vtmax have you seen the lab? It's shady and illegal in the eyes of the FDA to list an ingredient as "EOS Complex" He needs to list what's in it, or show a proof of a trademark secret.

FDA requires cosmetics to have an “ingredient declaration,” a list of all the product’s ingredients. FDA requires this labeling under the Fair Packaging and Labeling ActExternal Link Disclaimer (FPLA). This law is intended to make sure consumers have information they can use to compare the value of different products and make informed choices.

But according to the FPLA, regulations for this list of ingredients must not be used to force a company to disclose “trade secrets” (FPLA, section 1454(c)(3)).

I am not the one who made those comments, but I did want to respond with my thoughts.

In order to make an artisan soap, expertise is required in both soapmaking and perfumery. There are some artisans that possess both skills. There are some artisans who are skilled at soapmaking, but collaborate with a perfumer to create the scents. There there are some artisans who are skilled perfumers who do not possess the expertise in soapmaking, so they will work with a soapmaker to produce the soap.

Scents can be made from either essential oils or synthetic fragrance oils. In general, essential oils are preferred, but some are extraordinarily expensive. For example, osmanthus absolute costs $329 per ounce. However, you can go to your local craft store and purchase fragrance oils for soapmaking and candlemaking for about $10 per ounce. You can also purchase knock-off fragrances of famous designer perfumes.

There are some scents that are only available as fragrance oils. For example, ambergris is produced in the digestive tracks of sperm whales. Since sperm whales are an endangered species, the possession or sale of ambergris is prohibited in the USA. Thus, if you see ambergris as a scent note, it will be a synthetic version called ambroxan. In countries where the sale of ambergris is permitted, the price per ounce is similar to that of gold.

Thus, artisans who produce soaps that sell at budget prices will often use fragrance oils or blends. Expensive soaps often use essential oils or a blend of essential oils and fragrance oils. Some artisans have started to price soaps based on their costs. Declaration Grooming is one who has done this. Their soaps range from $19 for unscented up to $26 for some collaborations with the perfumer Chatillon Lux.

Jason Rudman or Ruds Shaves is the only YouTube shaver I have seen who rates soaps on a numerical scale. As far as I am aware, Ruds has not rated any Ethos Grooming Essentials soap. The highest rating Ruds has given
to any soap was 102 awarded to Grooming Department Kairos formula. The first soap released by Frank (aka Dragonsbeard) was produced by Oleo Soapworks in a duck fat base. Subsequent releases were made by CBL Soaps. I am not sure whether CBL is making the current releases. Frank's expertise is perfumery. Both Oleo Soapworks and CBL Soaps make very good soaps, but neither rate as elite soaps in my den. Thus, I think that the rating of 105 was just wishful thinking upon the part of one Ethos fan.
CBL and Oleo are actually making the soap? Hmm
Still?

CBL and Oleo are actually making the soap? Hmm
Still?

I know Oleo made the first batch (Dragonesbeard). Then CBL made some of the soaps. I do not know if Frank is still working with CBL or whether he is now formulating and producing the soap himself. Until he gets his website up and running and starts listing ingredients and scent notes for public perusal, I have no idea what he is doing. I have no interest in purchasing his products until I see what is going into them. My face is quite sensitive to certain scents, so I will never purchase a product that does not include scent notes. For example, if the scent notes list "citrus accord" I will not buy it as my face is sensitive to lime, lemon and grapefruit scents. However, my face is fine with bergamot, orange, and neroli. Thus, I want to know what is in the "citrus accord". The same thing happens when the scent notes include "spices". My face is sensitive to clove and cinnamon and there are some other spices whose scents I do not enjoy.

Last edited:

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
DG is crazy fatty and protective. Not the slickest I’ve encountered but very good. I would agree it’s a notch above B&M due to the insane amount of cushion it has. The lather is practically goop it’s so dense and protective.

I know Oleo made the first batch (Dragonesbeard). Then CBL made some of the soaps. I do not know if Frank is still working with CBL or whether he is now formulating and producing the soap himself. Until he gets his website up and running and starts listing ingredients and scent notes for public perusal, I have no idea what he is doing. I have no interest in purchasing his products until I see what is going into them. My face is quite sensitive to certain scents, so I will never purchase a product that does not include scent notes. For example, if the scent notes list "citrus accord" I will not buy it as my face is sensitive to lime, lemon and grapefruit scents. However, my face is fine with bergamot, orange, and neroli. Thus, I want to know what is in the "citrus accord". The same thing happens when the scent notes include "spices". My face is sensitive to clove and cinnamon and there are some other spices whose scents I do not enjoy.
Understood. Yes sounds like you've got to watch for the aggravators of your skin.

DG is crazy fatty and protective. Not the slickest I’ve encountered but very good. I would agree it’s a notch above B&M due to the insane amount of cushion it has. The lather is practically goop it’s so dense and protective.
Cushion is something I've found that definitely give me benefit up and above slickness. I like DG Milksteak, it's good, to me, real nice.

ETHOS is not made in someone’s home but in a lab with more sterile equipment. The maker has worked in the personal care industry for years.

Most homemade artisans/soap cookers are using candle fragrance oils (they won’t admit it) or if your lucky synthetic fragrance oils.

Again, it’s easily a 105 on Jason’s site. I’ve used them all myself.

A&E Kaizen is a nice budget soap. Nice base but I wish Peter scented with aroma chemicals or EO’s rather than cheap synthetics.I prefer Milksteak.

Thanks for your explanation. I would like to try ethos but it seems to be only one single choice available (lime). Or is there a more extensive range available at some other website?

Thanks for chipping in Rayclem
- as usual your explanations are always very informative.

@vtmax have you seen the lab? It's shady and illegal in the eyes of the FDA to list an ingredient as "EOS Complex" He needs to list what's in it, or show a proof of a trademark secret.

FDA requires cosmetics to have an “ingredient declaration,” a list of all the product’s ingredients. FDA requires this labeling under the Fair Packaging and Labeling ActExternal Link Disclaimer (FPLA). This law is intended to make sure consumers have information they can use to compare the value of different products and make informed choices.

But according to the FPLA, regulations for this list of ingredients must not be used to force a company to disclose “trade secrets” (FPLA, section 1454(c)(3)).

That is interesting. Will a manufacturer have to first get permission under the FPLA before they can list an ingredient in such a way as EOS Complex?

I have my very first Declaration Grooming order on the way.

The guy who runs DG, should take his email address off his website because he blows off people who write to him to ask a question or two.

I have my very first Declaration Grooming order on the way.

The guy who runs DG, should take his email address off his website because he blows off people who write to him to ask a question or two.
Well to be fair he isn't alone, some razor maker are like that too. I don't know if they get way to numerous emails, busy or lazy etc... Who knows? It's a bit of a gripe to me also, at times.

That's my understanding!

Here is a paragraph from the link. Secrecy about ingredients shouldn't be taking lightly.

"First, be aware that it’s unlikely that FDA will grant your request. We’ve received only a handful of trade secret requests in the last 20 years and have granted such a request only once."

Top Bottom