What's new

Declaration Grooming?

Also, a very respected shaver that I know, got some advice from declaration grooming maker, who said to bloom this soap for a few minutes before you use it. He is one of those who never blooms or soaks a soap. But he says it makes such a huge difference that he's changed his mind about that policy for this particular soap base.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

So first of all I’m a DG and CL fanboy. I like the way the bison base makes my face feel and I love the CL toners. My favorite scent so far is Gratiot League Square. Santal Auster was amazing but my face wouldn’t tolerate it. Darkfall is on the way this week. I will say that for me WK’s donkey milk is comparable and the WK’s buffalo base might make my face feel a little nicer— but there aren’t many scents available in the WK buffalo base yet. For my face the B&M Reserve base is a little drying as compared to either DG or WK. I do like the scents in the Reserve line though.

CL ?

So first of all I’m a DG and CL fanboy. I like the way the bison base makes my face feel and I love the CL toners. My favorite scent so far is Gratiot League Square. Santal Auster was amazing but my face wouldn’t tolerate it. Darkfall is on the way this week. I will say that for me WK’s donkey milk is comparable and the WK’s buffalo base might make my face feel a little nicer— but there aren’t many scents available in the WK buffalo base yet. For my face the B&M Reserve base is a little drying as compared to either DG or WK. I do like the scents in the Reserve line though.

Having tried all of these soaps, I agree about B&M Reserve being a drier post shave than anything DG/WK.

That said, B&M Waves smells AWESOME.

I have and enjoy DG bison base, B&M glissant, reserve, excelsior and WK Donkey Milk base.

For me (YMMV):

Base:
DG -> WK -> B&M

Scents:
B&M -> DG ----->WK

I haven't tried their bison base but Icarus is pretty great. I have a set of Sweet Lemon and am expecting a set of Shore picked up from a den clearing in the mail soon.

I like the performance of the Declaration Grooming soaps with Icarus being slightly better than the bison tallow base, but my nose always detects a gamey scent unless I let the soaps air out for about an hour before I lather up. I presume the aroma is from the bison tallow as I do not detect that aroma oi any other soap I own, but every DG soap has it, with Icarus Contemplation being the worst in that regard. I still use the ones I have, but am reluctant to purchase other scents.

I like the richness of the bison base, I also think it has a lot more skin food and I really like that.

DG is one of my top favorites, but the thing is I find the base to be too soft. For someone that likes loading heavily directly off the puck, it's kind of a negative.

Like Stirling, B&M really got the consistency on point as I find they last longer. The base is reliable, and high quality. This makes them about equal in terms of my favorites as both have their attribute that I enjoy.
Have you tried the new Icarus base from Declaration Grooming? It is much firmer and performs very well

Have you tried the new Icarus base from Declaration Grooming? It is much firmer and performs very well

I have recently; You're right it is much firmer now. I do miss the stringiness of the old base, but like the old one, Icarus is one of my top performers.

I just started using declaration grooming sellout last week and maybe because the milsteak base is a croap that is more similar to the texture of TOBS which was my favourite I an finding sellout relatively easier to get a good lather than most other soaps I have tried (caveat - I havent tried too many). It may not feel as slick as WK siero base but i find it easier to build a good lather with it and it has rhe best scent I have smelled from.a shavings soap so far so it is my new favourite shaving soap.

I just started using declaration grooming sellout last week and maybe because the milsteak base is a croap that is more similar to the texture of TOBS which was my favourite I an finding sellout relatively easier to get a good lather than most other soaps I have tried (caveat - I havent tried too many). It may not feel as slick as WK siero base but i find it easier to build a good lather with it and it has rhe best scent I have smelled from.a shavings soap so far so it is my new favourite shaving soap.

I rank both DG Milksteak and WK Siero as top tier soaps. I am not alone. Jason Rudman of Ruds Shaves gives them both a shave score of 100. Only A&E Kaisen (101) and Grooming Department Kairos (102) rank higher in his evaluations. Grooming Department Nai and B&M SoftHeart also rate 100. Anything he rates 99 or above is superb according to my personal criteria.

I rank both DG Milksteak and WK Siero as top tier soaps. I am not alone. Jason Rudman of Ruds Shaves gives them both a shave score of 100. Only A&E Kaisen (101) and Grooming Department Kairos (102) rank higher in his evaluations. Grooming Department Nai and B&M SoftHeart also rate 100. Anything he rates 99 or above is superb according to my personal criteria.

So far I have also tried b and m excelsior base that I had more trouble gettigg lather from it compared to the milksteak. The one that I had the most difficulty getting laher is zingari man that was also scored 99 by Ruds.

So far I have also tried b and m excelsior base that I had more trouble gettigg lather from it compared to the milksteak. The one that I had the most difficulty getting laher is zingari man that was also scored 99 by Ruds.
I just got through using Zingari Man. I used alot and didn't add much water,it was a weak one but slick. In my notes I'll use triple the amount of soap next time, I'll make it work I think. Not so impressed, yet.

Last edited:
I just got through using Zingari Man. I used alot and didn't add much water,it was a week one but slick. In my notes I'll use triple the amount of soap next time, I'll make it work I think. Not so impressed, yet.

That was my experience as well with Explorer. Although the lather was weak however it was still slick enough to provide sufficient protection but as a result it was not as comfortable a shave as I would have liked. I had the same idea to use more soap the next time and will try that when it comes round on the rotation again.

That was my experience as well with Explorer. Although the lather was weak however it was still slick enough to provide sufficient protection but as a result it was not as comfortable a shave as I would have liked. I had the same idea to use more soap the next time and will try that when it comes round on the rotation again.
Yeah, let's give it a go like that. It's gonna be a while for me as I've got a couple of aggressive Stirling razor to test starting tomorrow, so ill wait too.

I’ve only tried the milksteak base from DG. While it is a good soap with a really excellent post shave. I find the soap has an almost off/rotten scent after opening. This disappears when lathered. I also find this base to appear to be very thirsty but if you are not careful it will suddenly be too hydrated and lather is no good. Other bases I prefer better have much better and forgiving hydration tolerances. Lastly, I think the soap is just a little overpriced, not totally unreasonable. I like the soap ok, but knowing the cost for one tub, I can find dozens upon dozens of other soaps that edge it out for a little less than DG.

I am pretty much hooked on the A&E bases. My opinion above is one I have held pre Kaizen as well as the pre Asian pear base 1.1. Once I thin out my inventory a bit, I’d like to try a few other artisans just to say I have, but I don’t expect I’ll be converted to another product line exclusively.

Top Bottom