What's new

Declaration Grooming scents... is it just me?

The scent in Admiral is also a bit unusual, especially the riversmoke aspect. I think all "smoke" in shaving soaps (also in Noble Otter Plunder) is overdone and should be toned down otherwise it dominates.

Do you like Dragons Blood?Thats an interesting scent....my favorite....I too sm a perfumer and soaper and I share your views!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I like most og Chatillion Lux scents but Sni Mato wss soooooo bad I tried to give it away and got it back........Yuzu and Patchouli I agree is a nice scent.

After buying Sni Mato I gave up on Chatillion's scents as that was sooo bad!Simple is better and dirty scents-fougeres and such aren't pleasant as others.I realize scent is personally subjective but bad is bad sometimes!Not many buyers return 20.00 soaps or aftershave or in the case of Holy Black I paid almost 200.00 for a below mediocre shaving soap and an aftershave and cologne that when both applied didn't last 10 minutes and packaged ind a ridiculous wooden box that I couldn't return-now there is a ripoff company!

Agree on Sni Mato. The scent was unbearable. I binned it.

Thankfully it wasn't the soap, just the post shave toner.

Really really enjoyed reading through this thread. It must be really tough to satisfy this kind of crowd because of the YMMV factor. Everyone looks for something different. In the end, the artisan likely has to go with their gut instinct.

That said, about the simpler scent or event singular scent ... I tend to prefer this myself and when I recently asked a particular artisan about a singular scent they previously produced and if they had any plans to reproduce it, their response was it simply didn't sell and thus they had no intentions of trying it again. All the reviews I could find had mentioned the scent was spot on and the performance was fantastic. So it couldn't have been the production. Which goes to show, not even simple scents is necessarily the answer.

Another thing I've noticed is with all the changes in bases etc. over time to compete and improve, I've found some of the scents that previously were stellar are less so now. I won't name names because I don't think that's fair to single out anyone, but if you find a holy grail of a scent and soap combination ... I'd load up a little on it before it risks changing to something different down the line that isn't as great to your nose. But not too much, because the flip side is these scents fade in their containers over time. Especially the tins.

One regret I have is not acting fast enough through some samples to decide on a bigger purchase and now the artisan is no longer in business. Hate that when that happens...

Last edited:
Top Bottom