What's new

Declaration Grooming scents... is it just me?

I have found with many scents that I do not like initially that allowing the soaps to air out for several days or even weeks allows some of the tops notes to evaporate leaving an improved scent. I found the scent of Tabac to be repulsive when first unwrapped, but after leaving it uncovered for a few weeks, I can use the soap with no issue. I find the DG scents to be somewhat "gamey" at first. Airing out the soaps definitely helps improve the scent. That also allows some of the dominant notes to tone down.

I meant Chatillon Lux colognes/aftershaves. His taste is just weird IMO. A friend of mine spent a fortune on CL fragrances and brought them to me to smell as he knew that I once had a vast collection of 'old school' men's fragrances. I thought they were disgusting. Vintage Givenchy Gentleman they ain't.

I'd like to see some simpler scents from all the top soaps as well.

I think this is really missing in the market right now. I get why that is to a certain extent. Soap bases have improved so much lately that a big way to differentiate yourself is through scents. With that said, I think an artisan who has a stellar soap base could differentiate themselves by offering simpler scents at a reduced price. For a while I thought B&M was headed this way with their Latha line, but they ultimately went in a different direction.

I'm with you I'm a fan of simple but high quality scents. Simple Lavender for example if a synthetic version even in an excellent soap base like B&M for example would probably be at their normal entry level price as synthetics are not very expensive BUT if they were to use 100% high quality French or Bulgarian Lavender essential oils the price would go up dramatically on the soap just based on that one ingredient. I'd be willing to pay the extra as I like simple but quality scents. So a question to ask oneself.

Totally agree.

Much of what has been written, I agree with. I too have a hard time with their scents.

My problem is when they list scents, I often do not find them listed in potency or in a top, middle and base notes format. I would like the scents at least to be listed in order of what you smell the most to least, if possible.

Too often I find a soap that lists a citrus scent, which I love, as a first listing only to find it barely there. I grabbed a Noble Otter Texaus soap which was simple in list but to me has no citrus at all. More woody/musky scented. I was hoping for a citrus forward scent with undertones of wood. Even if it was citrus followed by a light musk. To me, I much prefer the Chiseled Face Santa Paula (Citrus with wood/earth) or Stirling Pharoah's Dreamsicle (orange followed by vanilla and light musk) more so. Somewhere between them is how I read Texaus. Soap was excellent but I will not be replacing it when done.

I too have had a hard time with WK and DG. The only WK I like is the Pompelmo (grapefruit - amazing scent) and La Fougere Parfait (sweeter scented if I recall. ). DG so far I love Sellout (Aventus scent) and am OK with Trismegistus and 4th and Pine. Only Sellout will be renewed since I am an Aventus fan.

B&M is another I find tough. I like their soap but most of their scents do not do it for me. Only Seville, Cool and Spice do I fee l will be a repeat buy. Rapsody was lousy at first but grew on my but it has been discontinued. With Pasteur's not too far, I find I will only purchase a B&M soap if I can smell it first.

T&S I liked most of the scents they listed but hated them when smelled in person. I know most find Boreal too strong but to me, with a poor nose, I like the strong pine scent. Also Sicily is great. I could see myself buying these two again. I do have their Kyoto because I fell in love with Grooming Dept. Yuzu from a sample Mohammed sent me but it was nothing like it. I get a celery mixed with fennel scent. No grapefruit like scent in there to me. Kyoto also will not be repurchased but I will be buying it from GD if ever available again.

As for DG, WK, T&S, NO, B&M, they all make great soaps and would probably order an unscented form them but their scented has been relegated to in person smelling or they are on a no buy list. Only if I read here that the soap is a citrus forward will I make an attempt again on these but I will need several on here to proclaim that.

Last edited:
Although I have had some losers with DG scents (like most other artisan soaps), DG/CL also makes my two work horse scents - Fourth and Pine in the summer and Gratiot League Square in the winter. The soap performance is outstanding and I love the scents of these two. I follow my shaves with CL aftershave and the matching EdP. I get many compliments when I am wearing these two scents.

Referring to the OP, no is not just you, I'm at my 3rd DG soap and didn't like any of the scents: Mayflower, La Forget de Liguest, 88 Chesust Street ....deeem!! Long way to Europe and always a disappointing.

I think will start to consider more the European artisans...sorry!

I'm in Europe, and fortunately I like the European style soaps. Subtle blends like SV are just fine. I can go stronger, and I love Fitjar, which is clean and uncomplicated but still very distinctive. In medium strength there are plenty of really well blended scents - PdP, Pannacrema, Truefitt & Hill, MdC, Eufros....

My experience with N.American soaps has been disappointing. I acquired some T&S which were horrible to my nose, and WK were so-so except for King of Oud which is a masterpiece. All my B&M got sold except for Reserve Cool which I hardly use and will go at some point. DG followed the same path - they all got sold. The N.American style scents to me were just not well blended and harmonious, or had discordant notes (Trismegistus) and in some cases were simply chaotic (T&S). Kind of made me think of a Macdonalds Whopper - put everything in and stack it up and the diner will be happy. In France they have the Croque Monsieur - just toasted ham and cheese on bread. It's simple, it works.

But on the other hand Grooming Dept. by general agreement is wonderful. There are loads of smaller artisans in the US I'm completely unfamiliar with, so I don't know what the whole picture is.

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I'm in Europe, and fortunately I like the European style soaps. Subtle blends like SV are just fine. I can go stronger, and I love Fitjar, which is clean and uncomplicated but still very distinctive. In medium strength there are plenty of really well blended scents - PdP, Pannacrema, Truefitt & Hill, MdC, Eufros....

My experience with N.American soaps has been disappointing. I acquired some T&S which were horrible to my nose, and WK were so-so except for King of Oud which is a masterpiece. All my B&M got sold except for Reserve Cool which I hardly use and will go at some point. DG followed the same path - they all got sold. The N.American style scents to me were just not well blended and harmonious, or had discordant notes (Trismegistus) and in some cases were simply chaotic (T&S). Kind of made me think of a Macdonalds Whopper - put everything in and stack it up and the diner will be happy. In France they have the Croque Monsieur - just toasted ham and cheese on bread. It's simple, it works.

But on the other hand Grooming Dept. by general agreement is wonderful. There are loads of smaller artisans in the US I'm completely unfamiliar with, so I don't know what the whole picture is.

Amen brother - I agree 100%. And I’m in North America.

The best scents from a US artisan soap are by Arianna & Evans especially the Asian Plum.

The other artisans don't offer something interesting.

The best scents from a US artisan soap are by Arianna & Evans especially the Asian Plum.

The other artisans don't offer something interesting.

Im sure it's a to-taste thing.

I really like a lot of the scents I've got from NA artisan soap makers. I'd agree with Asian Plum, btw.

shavefan

I’m not a fan

Yep, pretty much my thoughts too. Although I think Mike's does a good job on the scents I've tried and I really like Man from Mayfair by Wholly Kaw. :thumbsup:

Declaration has this habit in most of his soaps, that smell some animal fat in the background.

I don't like this.

My opinion of Declaration Grooming is that Scott is a better soapmaker than a perfumer. Thus, I do not particularly care for those scents that Scott developed on his own. However, the collaborations with Chatillon Lux seem to be better. Overall, however, I find a funky undertone in many of the scents, especially the Icarus soaps. Thus, I rate the performance of the DG soaps higher than the scents. Because my ski
n is sensitive to several scent ingredients, I do not like Scott's new policy of releasing only vague descriptions of the scents rather than detailed scent notes. Thus, I am reluctant to try the newer scents, in spite of the soap performance.
I agree that the collaborations with Chatillion. are better scents.

Scents are so subjective and always a matter of personal preference. I am glad to have this huge choice all around the globe.

("24 préludes" ... of Chopin? You play piano or violin?
Greetings from "ChoppOff"/Patrick, Switzerland.)

After trying DG Milksteak Massacre of the Innocents, all of the negative thoughts I had about the scent of earlier formulations has completely evaporated. Massacre of the Innocents is not a Chatillon Lux collaboration, but it is a masterpiece scent.

Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this question :confused1 Anyone have information on when

DG Milksteak will restocked in inventory? Thanks!

Hope everyone has a very happy Thanksgiving 🦃

Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this question :confused1 Anyone have information on when

DG Milksteak will restocked in inventory? Thanks!

I just checked the Declaration website. He's got four Milksteaks on sale, with a 15% discount. Better hurry!

Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this question :confused1 Anyone have information on when DG Milksteak will restocked in inventory? Thanks!

Thanks for posting. I’ve been wanting to buy the PdM Herod clone, Massacre of the Innocents, and your post caused me to check back in at the DG website, where I saw that it’s back in stock! Order placed!!

Top Bottom