What's new

Declaration Grooming Knot/Brush Reviews

Declaration Grooming knots are considered some of the best hand-tied badger knots one could have. I couldn't find a general topic for this knot in the brush forum in B&B. Apologies if I've missed it.

I just want to invite anyone with DG brushes or knots to discuss their experiences to help us all.

Declaration Grooming sells full brushes (handle + knot) that are beautiful. Unlike most top-level brush makers, DG also provides a knotting service. Have a handle? Send it to him and he will install one of his knots in it.

So, B&Bers? Please share your opinions on the knot, the handle, or the whole brush. Feel free to travel back in time and talk about knots that are not available now. That's part of the fun--talk about B# compared to B##, etc.

I have a B11, B14, and B16. I used the custom option to have them put into custom handles vs. purchasing a full DG handle/knot.

Just comparing these three, the B14 gives an amazing pillow-like feel. Super gelled and when the brush dries, the tips get very crusty.

The B11 on the other hand, to my face, is more about delivering a mostly soft with a super slight scritchy feel. It's not pillowy nor meant to be. To me, it's 'untreated' badger at its best.

The B16 is relatively new to me. It's kind of in between my B14 and B11. When I face lather, the first few seconds it feels like a B11. After that, a pillowy feel develops on my face. It never reaches the gelled B16 level. But that's why I like the difference. I look forward to anyone else who cares to comment. Happy shaving everyone!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Nice thread, Charles!

I’ve had quite a few batches in my den: B3, B7, B8, B9a+, B11, B14 and 15.

Only two remain: My Blood of Kings Jefferson in B9a+ and my Graydog Backyard Maple with a B15 knot. The BofK was an incredible gift from a friend, as was the Graydog handle into which I had DG install a B15 knot.

The B14 was my favorite batch of hair. The B9a+ is very similar - very dense, pillowy soft with mild gel. The B15 has definite scritch and presence, but is still a great ‘natural’ knot.

image.jpg

My favourite so far is the B13 (but I only have B13 to B16). I like softer knots generally and the B13 has a bit less backbone and nice, soft tips after breaking in. All the ones I have are very good, though, and my new B16 is promising. I find you do need to break them in before judging them, as any slight early scritch tends to go away.

I wouldn’t agree that B14 is heavily gelled - there is some gelling with it and the others too, to varying degrees, but it is rather light compared to some of the slimy feeling knots you can get - the Chisel & Hound knots I have are very much more gelled, for example.

I love the Washington handle shape and all my DGs have it. Unicorn Ivory and Blood Of Kings are the colours I like most.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
My favourite so far is the B13 (but I only have B13 to B16). I like softer knots generally and the B13 has a bit less backbone and nice, soft tips after breaking in. All the ones I have are very good, though, and my new B16 is promising. I find you do need to break them in before judging them, as any slight early scritch tends to go away.

I wouldn’t agree that B14 is heavily gelled - there is some gelling with it and the others too, to varying degrees, but it is rather light compared to some of the slimy feeling knots you can get - the Chisel & Hound knots I have are very much more gelled, for example.

I love the Washington handle shape and all my DGs have it. Unicorn Ivory and Blood Of Kings are the colours I like most.
Agree on the gelling of the B14, it is, but just for me, to an acceptable degree. I really like this knot.

Hi Question - I have a Chisel and Hound v9. Do you have one and how would that compare to the declaration knots you have including gelling. I don’t have experience in these higher end artisan knots. Thanks in advance.

Hi Question - I have a Chisel and Hound v9. Do you have one and how would that compare to the declaration knots you have including gelling. I don’t have experience in these higher end artisan knots. Thanks in advance.
I only have v11. I think he is up to v16 now but I’ve read others saying this is still a heavily gelled style of knot. My v11 ‘fanchurian’ is nothing at all like the DG knots. It is the sort of gelling that feels quite unnatural and almost slimy on my face, and that was quite popular a few years ago. The DG knots are lightly treated so that they just feel like softer tips but don’t feel unnatural at all.

Great post!! I have tried to heavily track and describe all my DG brushes on here in my journal and over at DFS. I did this as when I first was looking at getting my first DG brush I could not find much on write-ups about most batches out there.

Some batches are very well known to have variants to each brush. Other like B14 are very consistent.

I own the following batches:
B8 - Thunderhead
B9A - Fae
B9A+ - BOK, POTS, Mojo Northern Lights
B11 - Deja Blue, Magic Hour, Poison Pond
B13 - Sonder, Dumb Courage, Roil
B14 - Unicorn Ivory, Cold, Merman, Illusive, Artisan Choice (looks similar to Roil)
B15 - Spooky, Cotton Candy, Sombre Hour

I have been very lucky to have been able to get these brushes into my Den. My favorite batch has been B14/B15 but I just recently received that B8 and was taken back at how soft and perfect the knot is, plus that color-way is stunning. I feel you don't see many of the DG collectors share their collection openly not sure if they don't want others to know what they have or what not. But I love seeing all the beautiful brushes everyone has!

Now having recently used this B8 it really makes me want to look for a B6 and B7. I really was not trying to look for older batches before B9A as I knew they are a bit harder and pricer to get. The batch that I don't see getting much praise but I really enjoy is the B9A+.

I have considered sending a handle in for B16 but I can't decided if I should or not. So far I have heard B16 is similar to the legendary B5 (this makes me want it as getting a B5 is hard), I have heard it's between B11-B14, also heard it's like a B13 but a bit more backbone to it. Honestly all of the above sounds nice. My two handles I have considered sending in are both 26mm which is another reason I am second guessing to send in a handle for B16. Not sure if 26mm would feel small to me.

So far I have heard B16 is similar to the legendary B5 ..., I have heard it's between B11-B14
I have nowhere near as much experience as you! But, yes, the B16 is between the B11 and B14 in my experience (since I have all three). To be fair, my B11 and B14 are 26mm, and my B16 is 24mm. That should not matter. But hah, 26 mm would feel small :) when my 24mm is great. I feel lucky to have happened upon my three.

And also, when I referred to my B14 as super gelled, I have to admit I don't have much experience with gelled knots. It's just my most gelled DG knot and those crusty dried tips are unique in my small den of brushes.

I only have v11. I think he is up to v16 now but I’ve read others saying this is still a heavily gelled style of knot. My v11 ‘fanchurian’ is nothing at all like the DG knots. It is the sort of gelling that feels quite unnatural and almost slimy on my face, and that was quite popular a few years ago. The DG knots are lightly treated so that they just feel like softer tips but don’t feel unnatural at all.
Thank you. Looks like I may need to get one at some point. I’ll keep my eye on this thread :)

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Please allow a stupid question
How are the knots identified?
Or how can you determine what batch you have.

Scott at Declaration Grooming gives each batch a B#, and they are only available until the batch runs out. Without a direct purchase from DG, you can either find out from the person you bought it from, or you can try to estimate it based on when it was first purchased (not that I have any idea what those dates are offhand). If DG made the handle too, that's another window into when it may have been made (but you'd have to track that down just like the date it was first purchased). Otherwise, I can't think of another way of knowing. Sorry.

But yeah, I don't think he marks a handle or anything like that for easy identification.

Well there you have it. I stand corrected sir. I'm just a 'cheap' person who pays him to put his knots into custom handles.
Not cheap at all. It’s a nice service and well worth using. I assume he doesn’t write on your handle but does he ship the knotted brush with a card denoting the knot he inserted? I guess you’d want something to confirm what the knot is, at least would be useful if you ever re-sold it.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Not cheap at all. It’s a nice service and well worth using. I assume he doesn’t write on your handle but does he ship the knotted brush with a card denoting the knot he inserted? I guess you’d want something to confirm what the knot is, at least would be useful if you ever re-sold it.
No, he doesn’t do that. He only ‘signs’ his own handles.

Top Bottom