What's new

Declaration Grooming Icarus Samples

I'm of two minds about this new-fangled Icarus base. I have a tub of the Santal Auster in Icarus, which I've only used three times, as I need it to last forever, so I don't have a large data set. I have a dozen or more of the standard Declaration (L&L) base, which is my favorite of them all, including Wholly Kaw Donkey, Grooming Duck, CRSW Glide, B&M Reserve, etc., and I use them a LOT. The jury's still out in my den, but I'm glad I've got so many legacy Declaration soaps to carry me through...
I like the renaming of this company. It fits on several different levels.

And I am envious of the Santal Auster. This is another instance where I was too late to the Fair.

Yes
I like the renaming of this company. It fits on several different levels.

And I am envious of the Santal Auster. This is another instance where I was too late to the Fair.

Yeah, the soap is long gone, but last I checked, Top Of The Chain still had the CL Santal Auster post-shave splash and the balm!

If I didn't already have two bottles of the aftershave and three tubs of the balm, I'd be all over this!

Yeah, I might have a hard time justifying buying much more CL balm, as I have around seven of them. But since CL has stated that they are going to stop making most of their balms, I might pick up a few more for down the road.:thumbup:

Yeah, I might have a hard time justifying buying much more CL balm, as I have around seven of them. But since CL has stated that they are going to stop making most of their balms, I might pick up a few more for down the road.:thumbup:

I've got at least one of every CL balm that I've been able to find. I probably have 15 or 20 of them. Given that each one is about a year's supply, given that a little dab 'll do ya, I've got a bona fide Chatillon Lux problem...

But it's not any worse than my Declaration problem.

My issue is that i use the balm every night after washing my face. One jar will only last me three or four months. Yeah, you're right... I need to buy another five or six jars before they all disappear!

Why are they stopping?
I think it has to do with the amount of work involved in producing balms for all the CL scents. If I'm not mistaken, they will continue with a lavender and an unscented balm. It is a bummer, though. Rose/Yuzu/Patchouli is my favorite scent, and I love being able to moisturize with it at night.

Ok. Icarus samples arrived in time for today's shave. Scent - Sweet lemon smells like coconut to me. Shore smells like PAA's the Beach, suntan oil, salt, sand, and sea, I like it. Contemplation has a Rose forward floral with green undertones, also very nice. So I took the Shore out of the sample container and spread it on the bottom of an empty tub. It is firmer than the regular DG soap, but still soft. I did a light load with a plissoft and bowl lathered. Great lather, dense and yogurty. I thought it was perfect, but kept adding water and it got better. This soap can hold more water than any other I've tried and by a wide margin. I'm reserving judgement on performance until I've used it few more times, but first impression is excellent. Post shave was different. I rubbed in some excess lather on face as usual and let it dry. Then I do a cold rinse after a minute or two. When I went to rinse It felt like there was nothing to rinse off, like it was absorbed completely. In any case first impression post shave is excellent. I'll have more to say at the end of the week after using this a few more times.

I got my samples yesterday and shaved with Sweet Lemon this morning. I'd prefer more coconut and less lemon, but it's a nice scent. Shore is about what you'd expect based on the name and Contemplation smells like a mens bar soap in the general family of Irish Spring and Zest. I like all three scents, but not nearly as much as Bandwagon which is a 10 out of 10 for me.

Performance is great especially post shave feel. I used a B&M reserve splash after the Icarus and I'd put that combo right up there with WK soap / tonic which is as good as it gets for me. I'll keep my eye on future offerings and definitely pick up a tub if the right scent comes along.

I would have to agree about the scents. Of the three, Sweet Lemon is probably the only one that I'll use. I'll report back regarding performance once I use it. Kinda supports my earlier assertion about the value of samples!

I would have to agree about the scents. Of the three, Sweet Lemon is probably the only one that I'll use. I'll report back regarding performance once I use it. Kinda supports my earlier assertion about the value of samples!

I save even more money by reading what you guys say before I consider getting a sample..:a14:

I save even more money by reading what you guys say before I consider getting a sample..:a14:
Somebody's got to do it, might as well be me. :07: Glad I could be of help! The thing is that unlike performance, scent is just so subjective, I kind of have to try it for myself.

Somebody's got to do it, might as well be me. :07: Glad I could be of help! The thing is that unlike performance, scent is just so subjective, I kind of have to try it for myself.

You’re right. But...by this time I can kinda get even a good feel for the scent reading posts here. At a minimum...it eliminates scents I definitely won’t like..

Sometimes I wonder if those small sample sizes are a waste. The tubs allow the soap to breath and expand during loading..Producing much better results imo...ymmv...

I understand that a lot of soap makers really don't like samples because they don't feel it gives an accurate representation of their product. I think you nailed it here.

I really like the Declaration Grooming stuff, and the DG/CL soaps in particular are also among my favorites. The Rose/Yuzu/Patchouli is probably among my Top 5 soaps. As a whole, I would have no problem taking Declaration over WhollyKaw or Grooming Dept, but I might have a hard time choosing it over B&M Reserve. But to be honest, that probably comes down to the incredible scents used with the Reserve base.
But yeah, really high hopes for these three GD soaps!

It's really hard to beat B&M for scents IMO, CB and Henri et Victoria might be the only artisans I know of that rival B&M.

I have my second shave with contemplation. B&M is my favorite but thats kinda all i have right now. First shave yesterday was on par with the B&M reserve line with a little better post shave feeling. Today i had too much water and the lather exploded! In a brush that is usually kind of a lather hog, i had a very cushony lather. Not as slick. Post shave today wasnt there so i know it was my bad. My wife didnt like it when we first smelled it. I smeared it in my bowl, then showered, then smelled it again. To us, it smells like lemon grass. I think its a good summer soap. I like it but i dont know if i love it. And it is because of the scent not the performance. Still deciding. I'm not a soap connoisseur by any means.

Top Bottom